Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 AM
"Scott Moore"

Default Multiple monitor support

Just wondering if support for multiple monitors will be improved in 12.04?
I use 24” (1820x1080) as my main display and a 19” (1280x1024) as my secondary.
I am currently unable to use both unless I want them to mirror each other (which
I do not want them to do). I just want to use them as 2 separate monitors with
different applications visible in each. With the current display options, it
won’t let me do this because the total x resolution between both monitors
exceeds 3000.
*
- Scott Moore
*

Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Jarno Suni

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Scott Moore <scottbomb@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering if support for multiple monitors will be improved in 12.04? I
> use 24” (1820x1080) as my main display and a 19” (1280x1024) as my
> secondary. I am currently unable to use both unless I want them to mirror
> each other (which I do not want them to do). I just want to use them as 2
> separate monitors with different applications visible in each. With the
> current display options, it won’t let me do this because the total x
> resolution between both monitors exceeds 3000.

The 3000 px limitation is a driver limitation, I suppose. But you
could position one monitor above other virtually. I thought setting an
extended desktop is not supported by default, unless you use command
line or install a front end like arandr.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 AM
S Venu Gopal

In Mac OSX, the applications can got to be displayed on the 2nd monitor by moving the application window beyond the first monitor (to the right side),

I noticed in XUbuntu 11.10, that by moving the application window to the right side, it moves into the next workspace.

Is the suggestion is to display one workspace on one monitor, and the next workspace on the 2nd?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Jarno Suni

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM, S Venu Gopal
<venugopal_sistla@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In Mac OSX, the applications can got to be displayed on the 2nd monitor by moving the application window beyond the first monitor (to the right side),
>
> I noticed in XUbuntu 11.10, that by moving the application window to the right side, it moves into the next workspace.
>
> Is the suggestion is to display one workspace on one monitor, and the next workspace on the 2nd?

It all depends how you have set extended desktop. Both displays belong
to the same workspace in my experience.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/