Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Gustavo R Leal

Default Desktop backgrounds and theme

Hi Development group,
I'm a fan of Xubuntu and using it exclusively since 10.04 LTS.
I would like to suggest a more colorful set of desktop backgrounds. The all blue and grey theme is nice for the defaults, but changing the background is one of the first things almost every user do.
think we need themes like nature, landscapes, plants, abstract and they should have a good balance of the color spectrum, including reds, yellows and greens (not all at the same time necessarily).
Let's not repeat what LinuxMint did with the green. Their theme is nice at first sight, but it looks like the blue pixels of LCD screen are all burned out.
Thanks for the oportunity,

*Gustavo Rybarczyk.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Simon Steinbeiß

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 05:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
Gustavo R Leal <gustavo.leal@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> I would like to suggest a more colorful set of desktop backgrounds. The all blue and grey theme is nice for the defaults, but changing the background is one of the first things almost every user do.
>
> I think we need themes like nature, landscapes, plants, abstract and they should have a good balance of the color spectrum, including reds, yellows and greens (not all at the same time necessarily).

Yes, this has been a target for the 12.04 release, but since we started to discuss a different default set of wallpapers upstream with Xfce devs it kinda got delayed. One problem of the wallpapers is that they take valuable space and as long as we follow the paradigm of live CDs (max ~700mb) for our images space will always remain an issue.
Anyway, I agree that we should search for resolutions for this (maybe for 12.10) – gathering the wallpapers is obviously the "easy" part of the plan.

> Let's not repeat what LinuxMint did with the green. Their theme is nice at first sight, but it looks like the blue pixels of LCD screen are all burned out.

Yeah, I never found the green very comforting for daily use. Actually all colours start to be annoying to me, that's why I created Greybird with very subtle colours after having used Bluebird for one release.

All the best,
Simon

Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Eero Tamminen

Hi,

On tiistai 10 huhtikuu 2012, Gustavo R Leal wrote:
> Hi Development group,
>
> I'm a fan of Xubuntu and using it exclusively since 10.04 LTS.
>
> I would like to suggest a more colorful set of desktop backgrounds.
> The all blue and grey theme is nice for the defaults,

Whereas Ubuntu default backgrounds are IMHO hideous. On LCD you're able
to tolerate them for few minutes, but on old CRTs they looks pretty
horrendous.

> but changing the background is one of the first things almost
> every user do.
>
> I think we need themes like nature, landscapes, plants, abstract and they
> should have a good balance of the color spectrum, including reds,
> yellows and greens (not all at the same time necessarily).

Multicolor backgrounds are problematic. They distract the user,
make icons and their texts harder to see etc, besides typically
taking more space.

If user wants extra & colorful backgrounds, I think they're easy to find.
I don't think Xubuntu needs to provide them. IMHO slightly styled
monochromatic ones give the desktop more professional feel.

But maybe it would be useful to make it easier & more obvious how to
change the background to user's own picture? Or have a button for
installing extra background sets e.g. from Ubuntu?

> Let's not repeat what LinuxMint did with the green. Their theme is nice
> at first sight, but it looks like the blue pixels of LCD screen are all
> burned out.

- Eero