Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Xubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/)
-   -   Uprade to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2 (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/651336-uprade-xubuntu-12-04-beta-2-a.html)

Josef Latt 04-01-2012 09:32 AM

Uprade to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2
 
Hi,

I upgraded my Xubuntu 11.10 for testing to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2.
But some programs which I have deinstalled in 11.10 (abiword, gnumeric,
pidgin, gigolo, ...) were installed too during the upgrade.


Think this shouldn't happen.

Thanks
Josef

--
PGP Schlüssel: 311D1055
http://keyserver.pgp.com

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

nairb 04-02-2012 03:08 PM

Uprade to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2
 
this is a feature, not a bug. when you update, it reinstalls every
package on your system (or that should be included in your system
because they are required by other packages). starting with
meta-packages such as xubuntu-desktop, which requires abiword, gnumeric,
pidgin, gigolo, ect... if you want different default applications, then
you should uninstall the meta-packages that require them before upgrade.
if you are using the default applications of ubuntu-desktop or
kubuntu-desktop, you should just use their respective installers, and
you dont really want xubuntu. you can install multiple window managers
without the whole desktop meta-package, so you could still use xfce
without full xubuntu-desktop. but the packages mentioned are all part of
xubuntu, and required by the meta-package xubuntu-desktop.

On 04/01/2012 05:32 AM, Josef Latt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded my Xubuntu 11.10 for testing to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2.
> But some programs which I have deinstalled in 11.10 (abiword,
> gnumeric, pidgin, gigolo, ...) were installed too during the upgrade.
>
> Think this shouldn't happen.
>
> Thanks
> Josef
>


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Pasi Lallinaho 04-03-2012 08:38 AM

Uprade to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2
 
(reversed top-posting)

On 04/02/2012 06:08 PM, nairb wrote:
> On 04/01/2012 05:32 AM, Josef Latt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I upgraded my Xubuntu 11.10 for testing to Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2.
>> But some programs which I have deinstalled in 11.10 (abiword,
>> gnumeric, pidgin, gigolo, ...) were installed too during the upgrade.
>>
>> Think this shouldn't happen.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Josef
>>
> this is a feature, not a bug. when you update, it reinstalls every
> package on your system (or that should be included in your system
> because they are required by other packages). starting with
> meta-packages such as xubuntu-desktop, which requires abiword, gnumeric,
> pidgin, gigolo, ect... if you want different default applications, then
> you should uninstall the meta-packages that require them before upgrade.
> if you are using the default applications of ubuntu-desktop or
> kubuntu-desktop, you should just use their respective installers, and
> you dont really want xubuntu. you can install multiple window managers
> without the whole desktop meta-package, so you could still use xfce
> without full xubuntu-desktop. but the packages mentioned are all part of
> xubuntu, and required by the meta-package xubuntu-desktop.
>

Yes, it is a feature, unless the user has previously removed any of the
packages which xubuntu-desktop is depending on. If you remove Abiword,
which is a 'depends' for xubuntu-desktop, it will effectively also
remove the xubuntu-desktop package.

Can't remember I've heard this happening with updgrade to 12.04 though.
I'll make somebody to look at it, at least briefly.

Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Xubuntu and Shimmer Project » http://shimmerproject.org/
Graphic artist, webdesigner, Ubuntu member » http://xubuntu.org/


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.