Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Andrej Znidarsic

Default Xubuntu translations in Launchpad

Hello Xubuntu developers!
My name is Andrej Znidarsic and I am a member of Ubuntu translations coordinators team.As you might know untill now only packages in main have been translatable in Launchpad and shipped in language packs.

Recently**we added a feature to give universe*packages an opt-in possibility to be translatable in Launchpad and theirtranslations shipped in language packs.*This means translators would be able to use Launchpad's infrastructure for translations and updated
translations will be shipped as SRU after the final version is released.
In order to enable a universe package to be translatable in Launchpad,
only two modifications are needed in the package (additional info on thewiki URL [1]):1. Add X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes to debian/control's source record
2. Use dh_translations to generate a POT file during the build process.I realise it is quite late in the release cycle, and that it might notbe possible to do this for 12.04, but would you be interested/have time
to do these modifications and enable translations for the xfce4* source packagesin Launchpad?
Thanks!Cheers,
Andrej[1]*https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Universe_Translations_in_LP

Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Andrej Znidarsic

Hello Xubuntu developers!
My name is Andrej Znidarsic and I am a member of Ubuntu translations coordinators team.As you might know untill now only packages in main have been translatable in Launchpad and shipped in language packs.

Recently we added a feature to give universe*packages an opt-in possibility to be translatable in Launchpad and theirtranslations shipped in language packs.*This means translators would be able to use Launchpad's infrastructure for translations and updated
translations will be shipped as SRU after the final version is released.

In order to enable a universe package to be translatable in Launchpad,*only two modifications are needed in the package (additional info on the*wiki URL [1]):

1. Add X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes to debian/control's source record
2. Use dh_translations to generate a POT file during the build process.

Development cycle for Quantal has just started so it would be ideal time to try this out.*

I believe this would be a great feature for Xubuntu users to have.
Would you be interested/have time*to do these modifications and enable translations for the xfce4* source packages and other mayor Xubuntu packages such as Abiword*in Launchpad?

Let me know if you have any questions / problems implementing this.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

Hi,

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 05:20:51PM +0300, Andrej Znidarsic wrote:
> Hello Xubuntu developers!
>
> My name is Andrej Znidarsic and I am a member of Ubuntu translations
> coordinators team.
> As you might know untill now only packages in main have been translatable
> in Launchpad and shipped in language packs.

Yep, Xubuntu was in main 4 years ago. ;-)

> Recently we added a feature to give universe packages an opt-in possibility
> to be translatable in Launchpad and their
> translations shipped in language packs. This means translators would be
> able to use Launchpad's infrastructure for translations and updated
> translations will be shipped as SRU after the final version is released.
>
> In order to enable a universe package to be translatable in Launchpad, only
> two modifications are needed in the package (additional info on the wiki
> URL [1]):
>
> 1. Add X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes to debian/control's source record
> 2. Use dh_translations to generate a POT file during the build process.
>
> Development cycle for Quantal has just started so it would be ideal time to
> try this out.
>
> I believe this would be a great feature for Xubuntu users to have.
>
> Would you be interested/have time to do these modifications and enable
> translations for the xfce4* source packages and other mayor Xubuntu
> packages such as Abiword in Launchpad?
>
> Let me know if you have any questions / problems implementing this.

Xfce translations are managed in a single place:
<https://translations.xfce.org/>
Translations made there benefit to *all* distributions.

I'm afraid that doing that the Launchpad way would be a rather selfish
move from us, since changes (fixed typos and new languages) would only
appear in Xubuntu, unless I'm mistaken.

Does Launchpad/Rosetta offer translators the possibility to easily
compare translations with the upstream ones and export only new
languages and modified strings? (download+diff is not an option). Or a
notification of some sort, maybe? Then it's trivial to forward changes
upstream.
If it does not, I'd rather encourage people to join Xfce translation
teams directly.

In 2008, when Xubuntu was demoted to universe and therefore removed from
Rosetta, we had to manually export Xubuntu translations, compare each po
file with its upstream equivalent, lucky-guess whether changes were
useful or not, and forward them to the upstream translators. That's why
I'm so wary of Launchpad/Rosetta new features.

Thanks!
Best,

--
Lionel Le Folgoc
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A

Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Andrej Znidarsic

Hi Lionel and other Xubuntu developers!
I am sorry I haven't replied earlier but I am subscribed to xubuntu-devel and therefore it took a while untill I noticed your reply.
Launchpad currently offers automated daily export of translations into a bzr branch. You can see a working example at*https://code.launchpad.net/~mvo/ddtp-ubuntu/ddtp-precise**
You can export translations to*https://translations.xfce.org/*from there but I am not sure if it offers easy comparison with the upstream translations.

However if it would be implemented I believe it could raise translation covarage of xfce significantly.While I agree that*all translations should be preferrably done upstream in reality as a translation team coordinator i know:

a) due to publicitiy Ubuntu is getting, vast majority of new contributors show up on Launchpad and they don't know anything about upstream (which is not good so we try to educate them about it).
b) even after we explain why translating upstream is better, significant portion still prefers to contribute in Launchpad beacause:
* i) they are used of it* ii) some of them feel like taking on a full package (in Gnome one must download the whole and then translate it and send it for review) is too much of a responsibility or fear they won't know how to translate some of the strings.*
*Therefore translations of xubutnu should rise considerably if they are exposed in Launchpad. But of course it doesn't make much sense if users of other distributions don't get any benefit from it. Hopefully bazar branches exports are useful enough for this purpose. Please let me know what you think or if you have any more questions.

Regards
Andrej