Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Testing Precise Pangolin Beta2

Old 04-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Gustavo R Leal

>If it is happening in both Xubuntu and Ubuntu i386, it is not the
>kernel, since Xubuntu is using the non-pae kernel and Ubuntu is using
>the PAE kernel.

>- --
>Charlie Kravetz
>Linux Registered User Number 425914* * * * * [http://counter.li.org/]
>Never let anyone steal your DREAM.* * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

That's right I've updated Ubuntu kernel to 3.2.0-22-generic-pae and the problem is gone.

Thanks,
** Gustavo Rybarczyk

Old 04-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Gustavo R Leal

I believe I've found the problem of excessive swapping with 1GB of memory.
There is a script "/usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/laptop-mode" that is setting these weird values to VM tunable kernel parameters when on
AC power:
dirty_background_ratio=5
dirty_ratio=10

The line 69 of the script is the following:
* * * * write_values 0 10 5 500
Changing the line with these values resulted in being able to run the system with 1GB without swap and good performance.
* * * * write_values 0 90 20 500

I think it needs some attention.
Thanks,* Gustavo Rybarczyk.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 04/24/2012 04:22 AM, Gustavo R Leal wrote:

I believe
I've found the problem of excessive swapping with
1GB of memory.

There is a
script "/usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/laptop-mode"
that is setting these weird values to VM tunable
kernel parameters when on AC power:

dirty_background_ratio=5

dirty_ratio=10

The line 69 of the script is the
following:

* * * * write_values 0 10 5 500

Changing the line with these values resulted
in being able to run the system with 1GB without
swap and good performance.

* * * * write_values 0 90 20 500

I think it needs some attention.

Thanks,
* Gustavo Rybarczyk.

Hey Gustavo,

can you file a bug and paste a link it to this mailing list?

Thanks,

Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Xubuntu and Shimmer Project »*http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

[...]

Actually, please just report a test in the ISO testing tracker and
register the bug there and we'll catch it automatically.

Thanks again,

Pasi