Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

Default Zeitgeist dependancies in Xubuntu

On 03/05/2012 03:03 AM, Stevo Vukovic wrote:
> Hello,
> I am fan of lightweight distributions like Xubuntu and Lubuntu. I opened
> few bugs and opened one question on Launchpad. I am looking for your
> support on this topic.
> Opened bugs are:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/946339
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/946360
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/946747
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/946756
>
> and opened question is
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/189673
>
> I am deeply concerned about inclusion of Zeitgeist dependencies in
> Xubuntu. Lightweightesnes of this distributions is in stake.
>
> Stevo Vuković

This mail is sent to the Xubuntu developer mailing list for information
to other Xubuntu contributors.

Hey Stevo,

Xubuntu installs Ubuntu Software Center by default, which installs
zeitgeist-core as recommends. I don't know why this is, but I believe
there is a good explanation. Whatsoever, it's not something the Xubuntu
developers can decide.

The applications you mention are not installed by default in Xubuntu,
thus if you install them, we aren't responsible for installing Zeitgeist
in your system. You can try installing with --no-install-recommends.

Xubuntu is not only lightweight, it's also user-friendly, feature-rich
and much more. This is why we install some packages which are not useful
for *everybody*, for example USC.

If you want the bare minimum system, you can use the Ubuntu Minimal CD
and install only the packages you want.

Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Xubuntu and Shimmer Project » http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Stevo Vukovic

Packages mentioned in bug reports may be preferable applications in all enviroments for all users, even Xubuntu ones. Thus, zeitgeist dependencies affect distribution like Xubuntu.
Here is example. Ubuntu-one did not affect Xubuntu, why Zeitgeist should? Upon introduction of ubuntu-one there was no new dependencies in Xubuntu project.
Now, with introduction of Zeitgeist Xubuntu, we have new dependencies with no apparent reason.
There is no need for Zeitgeist in Xubuntu, so why this distribution need to be cluttered with unnessesery dependencies.
I studied programing for years in Faculty and I know it is good practice to modularise features for achieving loose coupling in big projects. Benefits are numerous. Deep integration of Zeitgeist is affecting key packages (changes stock GNOME ones for in instance) unnecessarily.
If Xubuntu and Lubuntu are in Ubuntu family there should be no problem for communication with Ubuntu team with
plea for better modularization and loose coupling of modules.

Stevo