Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Ryan Pavlik

Default Please update to version 2.6

The packages should not be separated - the four source packages are
unequivocally one single program. They are packaged together in all
other distributions that AbiWord developers can upload to. The issue is
that I neglected to point abiword-extras to the location of abiword. I
have corrected that and will upload it to the PPA. I'm also installing
pbuilder for quicker testing.

--
Please update to version 2.6
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/202174

Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Ryan Pavlik

OK, I have a working PPA package up. Left for me to do (hopefully
today) - work on the AbiWord Extras packaging (it should be in the main
binary package, I just need to compile it against an un-installed
package. Should be pretty easy - I have the Fedora spec file that does
the same thing.), split out a few more plugins that require additional
dependencies, and double-check to make sure the control files are OK - I
know I'm missing some run-time dependencies. I may also split out
abiword-dev. Please go ahead and try out the package, and let me know
if you find any issues I haven't mentioned here.

I am going through the process required to upload packages as specified
by Daniel Holbach.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:54 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

After a discussion with Martin and Sarah on #ubuntu-devel, an feature
freeze exception isn't going to be a problem. Please follow the normal
sponsorship process which is described at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess

Thanks,

Cody

Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Ryan Pavlik

Right now an issue is coming up with a compile-time-only dependency on a libasio-dev, which is just a collection of header files. Unfortunately, Ubuntu has this in Universe, and so to stay in Main and enable collaboration support (which requires this) is a bit complicated. The options are:
1 - MIR libasio-dev (It has been reviewed by the boost c++ folks and will be included in a future version there, so I'm assured it is safe, and I know it is useful.) This is probably ideal.
2 - Include an abiword-specific copy as a patch. Not ideal from the standpoint of code duplication, but I am used to tracking upstream deps closely, I must do the same for the Windows build. This might be the easiest - I already have a package (soon to hit the PPA) that should enable this solution.
3 - Disable collaboration. This is really not ideal, as Ubuntu would be missing out on a major advancement. This does leave open the option of re-packaging abiword-plugins-universe, but I'd argue this is even uglier than #1
4 - Demote AbiWord from Main to Universe. I am against this idea right now, due to the lost exposure (we have the top spot on a default open of Add/Remove... in Hardy, with 4 nice stars next to us) and perhaps the ambiguous statement changing "Supported Applications" to "All Applications" would make about AbiWord's viability (of course AbiWord is supported, as in not unmaintained, it's just that universe doesn't receive canonical's backing I believe).

As it stands, I am in favor of #2 while I pursue #1 (the presumably
"right way" to do things). The package 2.6.2-0ubuntu0~ppa8 is building
right now, and should resolve all the concerns I presently have with the
package (implementing #2, and fixing the abiword-extras issue I had
earlier). Please review this package at your convenience - I will go
through the Sponsorship information later tonight or tomorrow.

The packages are at https://launchpad.net/~cezpi4y02/+archive

Old 04-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Ryan Pavlik

OK, well, it looks like I need one more spin of the binary to finish
implementing #2. I'd imagine I'm about 90% of the way there, about 30
minutes-1hr of work left.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Steve Langasek

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 02:29:59PM -0000, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Would this be a good time to break the abiword-* packages out into
> separate source packages, one per each upstream package?

No, it wouldn't. Refactoring packages needs to be done toward the beginning
of a release cycle, not as part of a freeze exception.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 04-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Steve Langasek

setting back to 'new'; confirmed is for freeze exceptions that have been
approved, which this one has not yet.

** Changed in: abiword (Ubuntu)

Old 04-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Steve Langasek

Hi Ryan,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:39:34PM -0000, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> Right now an issue is coming up with a compile-time-only dependency on a libasio-dev, which is just a collection of header files. Unfortunately, Ubuntu has this in Universe, and so to stay in Main and enable collaboration support (which requires this) is a bit complicated. The options are:
> 1 - MIR libasio-dev (It has been reviewed by the boost c++ folks and will be included in a future version there, so I'm assured it is safe, and I know it is useful.) This is probably ideal.
> 2 - Include an abiword-specific copy as a patch. Not ideal from the standpoint of code duplication, but I am used to tracking upstream deps closely, I must do the same for the Windows build. This might be the easiest - I already have a package (soon to hit the PPA) that should enable this solution.
> 3 - Disable collaboration. This is really not ideal, as Ubuntu would be missing out on a major advancement. This does leave open the option of re-packaging abiword-plugins-universe, but I'd argue this is even uglier than #1
> 4 - Demote AbiWord from Main to Universe. I am against this idea right now, due to the lost exposure (we have the top spot on a default open of Add/Remove... in Hardy, with 4 nice stars next to us) and perhaps the ambiguous statement changing "Supported Applications" to "All Applications" would make about AbiWord's viability (of course AbiWord is supported, as in not unmaintained, it's just that universe doesn't receive canonical's backing I believe).

> As it stands, I am in favor of #2 while I pursue #1 (the presumably
> "right way" to do things). The package 2.6.2-0ubuntu0~ppa8 is building
> right now, and should resolve all the concerns I presently have with the
> package (implementing #2, and fixing the abiword-extras issue I had
> earlier). Please review this package at your convenience - I will go
> through the Sponsorship information later tonight or tomorrow.

I don't really like option #2 here. If there's some reason blocking us from
including the asio source package in main, then we shouldn't be embedding it
in other packages within main either. Please follow through on the MIR.

If the MIR is refused, I would strongly favor option #3 instead. I
understand that the collaboration support is an exciting new feature, but
the biggest factor in favor of a freeze exception for abiword is "lack of
support for 2.4", and I'm unconvinced that additional accomodations should
be made in order to allow enabling this new feature at this stage of the
release cycle.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
"Michael B. Trausch"

I just installed the package from Ryan's PPA, and it seems to work quite
well for me.

Ryan: is the version on the PPA that is currently up a candidate for
more detailed testing and inclusion?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Ryan Pavlik

Steve Langasek steve.langasek-at-canonical.com |AbiWord Bugzilla| wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:39:34PM -0000, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
>
>> Right now an issue is coming up with a compile-time-only dependency on a libasio-dev, which is just a collection of header files. Unfortunately, Ubuntu has this in Universe, and so to stay in Main and enable collaboration support (which requires this) is a bit complicated. The options are:
>> 1 - MIR libasio-dev (It has been reviewed by the boost c++ folks and will be included in a future version there, so I'm assured it is safe, and I know it is useful.) This is probably ideal.
>> 2 - Include an abiword-specific copy as a patch. Not ideal from the standpoint of code duplication, but I am used to tracking upstream deps closely, I must do the same for the Windows build. This might be the easiest - I already have a package (soon to hit the PPA) that should enable this solution.
>> 3 - Disable collaboration. This is really not ideal, as Ubuntu would be missing out on a major advancement. This does leave open the option of re-packaging abiword-plugins-universe, but I'd argue this is even uglier than #1
>> 4 - Demote AbiWord from Main to Universe. I am against this idea right now, due to the lost exposure (we have the top spot on a default open of Add/Remove... in Hardy, with 4 nice stars next to us) and perhaps the ambiguous statement changing "Supported Applications" to "All Applications" would make about AbiWord's viability (of course AbiWord is supported, as in not unmaintained, it's just that universe doesn't receive canonical's backing I believe).
>>

>> As it stands, I am in favor of #2 while I pursue #1 (the presumably
>> "right way" to do things). The package 2.6.2-0ubuntu0~ppa8 is building
>> right now, and should resolve all the concerns I presently have with the
>> package (implementing #2, and fixing the abiword-extras issue I had
>> earlier). Please review this package at your convenience - I will go
>> through the Sponsorship information later tonight or tomorrow.
>>

> I don't really like option #2 here. If there's some reason blocking us from
> including the asio source package in main, then we shouldn't be embedding it
> in other packages within main either. Please follow through on the MIR.
>
> If the MIR is refused, I would strongly favor option #3 instead. I
> understand that the collaboration support is an exciting new feature, but
> the biggest factor in favor of a freeze exception for abiword is "lack of
> support for 2.4", and I'm unconvinced that additional accomodations should
> be made in order to allow enabling this new feature at this stage of the
> release cycle.

I agree - I am working on getting the MIR taken care of, with some help
from #ubuntu-devel. If we need to go to #3, I will get an universe
package with collab. Thanks for your feedback and assistance.

Ryan