Old 04-06-2008, 03:52 AM
Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen

Default Please update to version 2.6

Status => Incomplete
Importance => Undecided

It's not incomplete. The bug is quite complete.
The importance can't be undecided. Abiword is a very popular program and Ubuntu is going to be the only platform _not_ supporting it.

To me, it sounds like a release-braker.
Bureacracy is getting in the way here; and it's _hurting_ the quality of the Ubuntu Hardy release.

--
Please update to version 2.6
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/202174

Old 04-06-2008, 03:59 AM
-JojoMan-

I am an average ubuntu desktop user, it is the first linux distro that
has worked for me. i had been trying on/off with different distro's
since 1999. I like ubuntu because it works and they release often. Now i
mention that you release often not because i like formatted/upgrading
all the time but because i like the latest and greatest features. I say
if you guys can put abiword 2.6 in you should.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 AM
Dylan McCall

Changing status to Confirmed; a diffstat has been provided and the Changelog has been accounted for. (I suppose someone could get the source repository's revision history, if absolutely necessary?)
The issue has also been commented on by many people, and the current objective seems to be moving towards deciding how to approach resolving the issue.

** Changed in: abiword (Ubuntu)

Old 04-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Shirish Agarwal

>From my perspective only one things matter.

If we take a what-if approach then it looks like this

It would be nice if we Ubuntu Hardy users could get this one, otherwise
its gonna be a long wait for us, atleast 6 months before Intrepid Ibex
comes out at which stage one could ask for backport which again takes it
own time getting approved or not which can push the release anything
between 6-8 months till in which time Abiword may have another release
which pushes that one for again 6-8 months & we start playing catch-up
all over again

Not a good idea IMHO

Old 04-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Lionel Dricot

There's no need for more "We need 2.6 because I want it". I think
everyone would like to see 2.6. The question is "How to get 2.6 in Hardy
?". It's a technical question.

If you can provide help to package Abiword 2.6 or to resolve technical
problems, you're welcome, otherwise please don't post any comment for
now, it's useless and spam the subscribers for no reason.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM
"Michael B. Trausch"

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 11:58 +0000, Lionel Dricot wrote:
> There's no need for more "We need 2.6 because I want it". I think
> everyone would like to see 2.6. The question is "How to get 2.6 in
> Hardy
> ?". It's a technical question.
>
> If you can provide help to package Abiword 2.6 or to resolve technical
> problems, you're welcome, otherwise please don't post any comment for
> now, it's useless and spam the subscribers for no reason.

Precisely. I attempted to package 2.6 and could not figure out the way
it has been previously packaged for Debian/Ubuntu. There are four
distinct upstream packages, and we only have one (combined) package with
a different layout than the upstream tarballs.

Would this be a good time to break the abiword-* packages out into
separate source packages, one per each upstream package?

--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch mike@trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1 www.trausch.us

** Attachment added: "unnamed"
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/13149011/unnamed

Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
"Leung, Kai-Cheung"

I think the primary reason for merging the source is that the plugin
source package *needs* the abiword *source package*, *not* just
libraries/header file in order to builld. This is the primary reason
why the sources were originally merged.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Ryan Pavlik

Based on the existing 2.4.6 Ubuntu packages (somewhat) and my first-hand
knowledge of AbiWord development, I have produced new Ubuntu packages of
AbiWord 2.6.0 and now 2.6.2 which fixes some basic issues in the 2.6.0
release and reduces dependencies. I've uploaded them to my PPA -
https://launchpad.net/~cezpi4y02/+archive (These packages also fix the
numerous packaging bugs referring to missing plugins by default by
folding in all plugins that don't increase dependencies, and I have
eliminated the abiword-gtk and abiword-gnome difference, with just a
single abiword package encompassing binaries and the old abiword-common,
since in 2.6 there is no gnome-specific core features aside from
gnomevfs. Due to GVFS FUSE fallback in Hardy, I have left gnomevfs
disabled in these AbiWord builds for a better user experience.)

Please let me know how I can get them approved for upload to the main
Ubuntu archives.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:11 AM
"Michael B. Trausch"

Will try to build it locally and see what happens, because it failed to
build in the PPA. Assuming that I can get it to succeed on my local
system, I will try uploading your sources to my PPA and see what
happens.

You may want to try again first, though, because it looks like maybe the
problem might have been with PPA for some strange reason.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 AM
"Michael B. Trausch"

Meh.. the build failed on my local machine, too. You may want to try
getting it to build in a pbuilder prior to uploading to PPA. Right now
it is failing for me in the ./configure stage.

Perhaps what needs to happen is simply to make the packages separate and
have the build-deps such that the Abiword package is itself installed at
build-time. It looks like that is what is failing in a clean build
environment.

I will give it a shot and see what I can come up with.