Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 AM
nidal22

Default Unlock -> "Could not authenticate. An unexpected error has occurred."

Hello,
I tried to add Synpatic Package Manager from the Main menu after it disapeared from ( system-> Adminstration), but when I check Synpatic Package Manager, it uncheck by itself, same for other item in (Main Menu->Administration)

My computer crashed yesterday after using hardware test, after booting I
had a problem with $HOME/.dmrc and fixed it. This morring, neither sudo
or gksu are working any more.

I ckecked sudoers file, I get this error

nidal@dell-640m:~$ cat /etc/sudoers
cat: /etc/sudoers: Permission denied

I used revovery mode ( visudo) to check it, I did not find my user name
in the list, I added myself and I checked the file permission: 440, but
still sudo is not working.

Thanks, Nidal

PS: I have an open thread

** Attachment added: "authenicate error.png"
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/12918472/authenicate%20error.png

--
[users-admin] Unlock -> "Could not authenticate. An unexpected error has occurred."
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/194496

Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Jean-Noel Rey

It would be nice if I could only install policykit-gnome. When I sudo
apt-get I get E: invalid operation. So I am stuck with the unlock thing.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Jean-Noel Rey

Found a way to reinstall policykit-gnome on Hardy Beta. Unfortunately it
didn't help. Stuck.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

** Changed in: xubuntu-meta (Ubuntu)
Assignee: Lionel Le Folgoc (mrpouit) => (unassigned)

Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 AM
nrp

I'm having the same problem. Installed 8.04 today. Clean install.
Previous version was 7.10.

That was 5 hours ago. Now I can't start anything as root and I'm stuck
in a system withou an admin. I have two users, both without admin
rights.

How can I solve this problem? I surely don't want to install everything
from scratch again.

Thanks for any hint.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Feistybird

Same problem here, The users-admin's 'Unlock' button is grayed out

It's a newly installed 8.04, last package update was 10 hrs ago.

Reinstalling the policykit-gnome doesn't make any difference...

Old 04-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Feistybird

Further more, I can't use time-admin neither, The 'Unlock' button also grayed out.
I've tried add my user's name to the polkituser group, but still can't get it right.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Feistybird

One more thing, when I'm installing 8.04, I've left my previous 7.10's
/home partition without re-format, and I created exactly the same user's
account name as I've used in Gusty, I wonder could this problem caused
by the previous Gusty's config file under /home/user's folder?

My friend's clean installed Hardy (new /home/user directory) doesn't
have such problem.