-   -   Side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/59508-side-effect-making-xubuntu-devel-member-xubuntu-team.html)

"Cody A.W. Somerville" 03-22-2008 12:15 AM

Side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team

A side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team is that xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com is now getting all the xubuntu-team bug mail, seed branch change notifications, etc. etc. This can either be a good thing or a bad thing.

If we keep it the way it is:

1. People can subscribe to this mailing list for development discussion and for bug e-mail (no need to join the xubuntu-team)
2. Xubuntu-team could be reserved for individual who are fulfilling a leadership role within our community

3. Able to easily discuss bug reports and seed changes

Or we could either remove xubuntu-dev from xubuntu-team or remove the contact address (this mailing list) from xubuntu-dev.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Cody

Charlie Kravetz 03-22-2008 12:31 AM

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 22:15 -0300, Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> A side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team is that
> xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com is now getting all the xubuntu-team bug
> mail, seed branch change notifications, etc. etc. This can either be a
> good thing or a bad thing.
>
> If we keep it the way it is:
>
> 1. People can subscribe to this mailing list for development
> discussion and for bug e-mail (no need to join the xubuntu-team)
> 2. Xubuntu-team could be reserved for individual who are fulfilling a
> leadership role within our community
> 3. Able to easily discuss bug reports and seed changes
>
> Or we could either remove xubuntu-dev from xubuntu-team or remove the
> contact address (this mailing list) from xubuntu-dev.
>
> Thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cody

Here's my 2 cents worth. Not being a good programmer, I joined this list
because I was hoping to help with keeping Xubuntu a good distrobution to
use and keep it user friendly. Part of that is knowing what is a and is
not working. The bug reports are a little bit of a pain, but at least I
know if a user says something is not working, it is supposed to.

I think it's good. I can delete the ones that I don't want.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Vincent 03-22-2008 08:29 AM

On 3/22/08, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 22:15 -0300, Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> A side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team is that
> xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com is now getting all the xubuntu-team bug

> mail, seed branch change notifications, etc. etc. This can either be a
> good thing or a bad thing.
>
> If we keep it the way it is:
>
> 1. People can subscribe to this mailing list for development

> discussion and for bug e-mail (no need to join the xubuntu-team)
> 2. Xubuntu-team could be reserved for individual who are fulfilling a
> leadership role within our community
> 3. Able to easily discuss bug reports and seed changes

> Or we could either remove xubuntu-dev from xubuntu-team or remove the
> contact address (this mailing list) from xubuntu-dev.
>
> Thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Cody

Here's my 2 cents worth. Not being a good programmer, I joined this list
because I was hoping to help with keeping Xubuntu a good distrobution to
use and keep it user friendly. Part of that is knowing what is a and is

not working. The bug reports are a little bit of a pain, but at least I
know if a user says something is not working, it is supposed to.

I think it's good. I can delete the ones that I don't want.

I agree that this is a Good Thing (tm). Not only do we now know what is and what is not working, bugs are getting a lot more exposure and thus are triaged faster. i.e. someone on this list can recognise and issue and confirm it, or try to reproduce and fail. Many subscribers *can* help, and I think that also is the main reason they joined this list.

So yeah, I think the extra exposure for the bug reports is very good.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914**********[http://counter.li.org/]

Thanks,
--
Vincent

"Jim Campbell" 04-26-2008 04:31 PM

Side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team

Hi All,

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Cody A.W. Somerville <cody-somerville@ubuntu.com> wrote:

A side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team is that xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com is now getting all the xubuntu-team bug mail, seed branch change notifications, etc. etc. This can either be a good thing or a bad thing.

If we keep it the way it is:

1. People can subscribe to this mailing list for development discussion and for bug e-mail (no need to join the xubuntu-team)
2. Xubuntu-team could be reserved for individual who are fulfilling a leadership role within our community

3. Able to easily discuss bug reports and seed changes

Or we could either remove xubuntu-dev from xubuntu-team or remove the contact address (this mailing list) from xubuntu-dev.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Cody

As someone who has focused primarily on the documentation, I find the deluge of bug reports on the mailing list a little overwhelming.* And I think it also increases the signal-to-noise ratio for discussions on the list - it makes it easier for a discussion to get lost.

I'd be willing to take myself off of the Xubuntu team list if others want to keep things this way, but* I'd prefer to not receive bug reports from xubuntu-devel.

Just my $0.02 USD,

Jim

Jelle de Jong 04-26-2008 04:35 PM

Jim Campbell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Cody A.W. Somerville
> <cody-somerville@ubuntu.com <mailto:cody-somerville@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
> A side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team is
> that xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> <mailto:xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com> is now getting all the
> xubuntu-team bug mail, seed branch change notifications, etc. etc.
> This can either be a good thing or a bad thing.
>
> If we keep it the way it is:
>
> 1. People can subscribe to this mailing list for development
> discussion and for bug e-mail (no need to join the xubuntu-team)
> 2. Xubuntu-team could be reserved for individual who are fulfilling
> a leadership role within our community
> 3. Able to easily discuss bug reports and seed changes
>
> Or we could either remove xubuntu-dev from xubuntu-team or remove
> the contact address (this mailing list) from xubuntu-dev.
>
> Thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cody
>

> As someone who has focused primarily on the documentation, I find the
> deluge of bug reports on the mailing list a little overwhelming. And I
> think it also increases the signal-to-noise ratio for discussions on the
> list - it makes it easier for a discussion to get lost.
>
> I'd be willing to take myself off of the Xubuntu team list if others
> want to keep things this way, but I'd prefer to not receive bug reports
> from xubuntu-devel.
>
> Just my $0.02 USD,
>
> Jim

I solved this issue by creating an email filter sorting things out for
me, maybe this can be a solution for you too?

Kind regards,

Jelle

Eero Tamminen 04-26-2008 06:46 PM

Side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team

Hi,

On Saturday 26 April 2008, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> > As someone who has focused primarily on the documentation, I find the
> > deluge of bug reports on the mailing list a little overwhelming. And I
> > think it also increases the signal-to-noise ratio for discussions on
> > the list - it makes it easier for a discussion to get lost.
> >
> > I'd be willing to take myself off of the Xubuntu team list if others
> > want to keep things this way, but I'd prefer to not receive bug
> > reports from xubuntu-devel.
>
> I solved this issue by creating an email filter sorting things out for
> me, maybe this can be a solution for you too?

Filtering doesn't work with mail archives e.g. if somebody hasn't subscribed
to the mailing list and would just like to browse the archives.

Maybe there could be a separate xubuntu-bugs mailing list?

- Eero

"Jesus Gamio" 04-26-2008 07:17 PM

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi> wrote:

Hi,

On Saturday 26 April 2008, Jelle de Jong wrote:

> > As someone who has focused primarily on the documentation, I find the

> > deluge of bug reports on the mailing list a little overwhelming. *And I

> > think it also increases the signal-to-noise ratio for discussions on

> > the list - it makes it easier for a discussion to get lost.

> > I'd be willing to take myself off of the Xubuntu team list if others

> > want to keep things this way, but *I'd prefer to not receive bug

> > reports from xubuntu-devel.

> I solved this issue by creating an email filter sorting things out for

> me, maybe this can be a solution for you too?

Filtering doesn't work with mail archives e.g. if somebody hasn't subscribed

to the mailing list and would just like to browse the archives.

Maybe there could be a separate xubuntu-bugs mailing list?
I use a Filter that works ok

but I think the xubuntu-bugs mailing list is a good idea
*

* * * *- Eero

Jesús A. Gamio C.

Vincent 04-27-2008 08:21 AM

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi> wrote:

Hi,

On Saturday 26 April 2008, Jelle de Jong wrote:

> > As someone who has focused primarily on the documentation, I find the

> > deluge of bug reports on the mailing list a little overwhelming. *And I

> > think it also increases the signal-to-noise ratio for discussions on

> > the list - it makes it easier for a discussion to get lost.

> > I'd be willing to take myself off of the Xubuntu team list if others

> > want to keep things this way, but *I'd prefer to not receive bug

> > reports from xubuntu-devel.

Maybe there could be a separate xubuntu-bugs mailing list?

I was just going to suggest this myself, so a +1 from me.
*

* * * *- Eero

--
Vincent

Jelle de Jong 04-27-2008 10:02 AM

Vincent wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi
> <mailto:oak@helsinkinet.fi>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 26 April 2008, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> > > As someone who has focused primarily on the documentation, I
> find the
> > > deluge of bug reports on the mailing list a little
> overwhelming. And I
> > > think it also increases the signal-to-noise ratio for
> discussions on
> > > the list - it makes it easier for a discussion to get lost.
> > >
> > > I'd be willing to take myself off of the Xubuntu team list if
> others
> > > want to keep things this way, but I'd prefer to not receive bug
> > > reports from xubuntu-devel.
> >

> Maybe there could be a separate xubuntu-bugs mailing list?
>

> I was just going to suggest this myself, so a +1 from me.

I don't see any reason why not to do this are there any? It will thinks
more cleaner. so +1 for me to.

Jelle

"Jim Campbell" 04-30-2008 05:42 PM

On 4/27/08, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl> wrote:
Vincent wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi

> <mailto:oak@helsinkinet.fi>> wrote:
>
>**** Hi,
>
>**** On Saturday 26 April 2008, Jelle de Jong wrote:
>******> > As someone who has focused primarily on the documentation, I

>**** find the
>**** overwhelming.**And I
>******> > think it also increases the signal-to-noise ratio for
>**** discussions on

>******> > the list - it makes it easier for a discussion to get lost.
>******> >
>******> > I'd be willing to take myself off of the Xubuntu team list if
>**** others
>******> > want to keep things this way, but**I'd prefer to not receive bug

>******> > reports from xubuntu-devel.
>******>

> I was just going to suggest this myself, so a +1 from me.

I don't see any reason why not to do this are there any? It will thinks
more cleaner. so +1 for me to.

Jelle
*
Regarding the bugs mailing list . . .* I'm indifferent (and I don't mean that in a bad way).* I'm ok with being able to contribute to documentation, but just find it annoying for every Xubuntu bug report to come into my mailbox when I want to focus on docs.* What if someone wants to contribute to artwork or the website - should they have to see a bug report for xfwm4 crashing?* Maybe Jani, Cody, and Lionel don't like all of the artwork and other non-core-dev related discussions on the devel mailing list, and they prefer things this way.

*
I can see the need to be notified of bug reports for Xubuntu testing/QA, packaging, and seed management . . .* but documentation, artwork and community-building/website/marketing folks shouldn't need to see every report.* Maybe create a xubuntu-core-dev (or xubuntu-qa) mailing list for testers, packagers, and seed managers?* Or maybe create a xubuntu-devel-discuss list for less technical development discussions?* Maybe people like Cody, Lionel, Jani, Jerome, and others like having the bug reports come through, but no other team does things this way, and it doesn't seem to be an optimal solution to me.* I don't think that creating an email filter is a good solution, either.

*
Cody had preposed the following, "Or we could either remove xubuntu-dev from xubuntu-team or remove the contact address (this mailing list) from xubuntu-dev," and I haven't heard discussions of those options.* I assume that making one of those moves would stop the bug reports from feeding to the mailing list, but I'm not sure.

*
I don't intend for this to discourage people from working on bugs and fixing things, and part of me does see how doing this helps us to see how many bug reports are actually coming in, but another part of me says that I have limited time to spend on Xubuntu and need to be able to focus on the areas that require my work.*

*
I'm open to input on this, of course.* We've had things going like this for over a month now . . . what do people think?*
*
Jim