Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Vincent

Default Side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:

On 4/27/08, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl> wrote:
Vincent wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi

> <mailtoak@helsinkinet.fi>> wrote:
>
>**** Hi,
>
>**** On Saturday 26 April 2008, Jelle de Jong wrote:
>******> > As someone who has focused primarily on the documentation, I

>**** find the
>**** overwhelming.**And I
>******> > think it also increases the signal-to-noise ratio for
>**** discussions on

>******> > the list - it makes it easier for a discussion to get lost.
>******> >
>******> > I'd be willing to take myself off of the Xubuntu team list if
>**** others
>******> > want to keep things this way, but**I'd prefer to not receive bug

>******> > reports from xubuntu-devel.
>******>

> I was just going to suggest this myself, so a +1 from me.

I don't see any reason why not to do this are there any? It will thinks
more cleaner. so +1 for me to.

Jelle
*
Regarding the bugs mailing list . . .* I'm indifferent (and I don't mean that in a bad way).* I'm ok with being able to contribute to documentation, but just find it annoying for every Xubuntu bug report to come into my mailbox when I want to focus on docs.* What if someone wants to contribute to artwork or the website - should they have to see a bug report for xfwm4 crashing?* Maybe Jani, Cody, and Lionel don't like all of the artwork and other non-core-dev related discussions on the devel mailing list, and they prefer things this way.

*
I can see the need to be notified of bug reports for Xubuntu testing/QA, packaging, and seed management . . .* but documentation, artwork and community-building/website/marketing folks shouldn't need to see every report.* Maybe create a xubuntu-core-dev (or xubuntu-qa) mailing list for testers, packagers, and seed managers?* Or maybe create a xubuntu-devel-discuss list for less technical development discussions?* Maybe people like Cody, Lionel, Jani, Jerome, and others like having the bug reports come through, but no other team does things this way, and it doesn't seem to be an optimal solution to me.* I don't think that creating an email filter is a good solution, either.

*
Cody had preposed the following, "Or we could either remove xubuntu-dev from xubuntu-team or remove the contact address (this mailing list) from xubuntu-dev," and I haven't heard discussions of those options.* I assume that making one of those moves would stop the bug reports from feeding to the mailing list, but I'm not sure.

*
I don't intend for this to discourage people from working on bugs and fixing things, and part of me does see how doing this helps us to see how many bug reports are actually coming in, but another part of me says that I have limited time to spend on Xubuntu and need to be able to focus on the areas that require my work.*

*
I'm open to input on this, of course.* We've had things going like this for over a month now . . . what do people think?*
*
Good that you're replying, because I had thought of something but forgot to post it. What I was thinking was that, if people would go through the trouble of signing up to a bugreport mailinglist, they can just as well join the respective team on Launchpad, couldn't they? If so, that mailinglist would be pretty redundant.

I'd go for removing the contact addres from xubuntu-dev. I suppose you can use Launchpad to contact, and if you really need to say something you're probably able to find the mailinglist.
*

Jim

--
Vincent

Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

I've sent a request for the creation of an xubuntu-bugs mailing list.

Thanks,

Cody A.W. Somerville