Old 10-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Simon Steinbeiß

Default Nomination for Xubuntu Project Lead: Pasi Lallinaho

Hi everyone,

I guess most of you know me as a contributor to xubuntu-artwork. Today I'd like to nominate my collegue and friend Pasi Lallinaho for Xubuntu Project Lead.
I have known Pasi for years now, in fact he was already contributing to Xubuntu as Marketing Lead when I slowly joined #xubuntu-devel, so that's where I first encountered him. My experience working with him as a member of the Xubuntu team as well as Project Lead of the Shimmer Project has been very positive. He is a very creative thinker and tends to have opinions on matters at hand, but he's also open for other people/opinions.

Personally I think a team leader needs to have quite a few different qualities, being cooperative is one of them. Another important factor is whether a team leader has a vision of the project, in this case something like "What should Xubuntu be". In these respects I think Pasi is an excellent choice as team leader, he's good at encouraging people to contribute (at least he managed with me ) and he is able to give guidance and direction.

I think for the Xubuntu project the upcoming releases will be very challenging: the ever annoying changes by Canonical/Ubuntu ignoring what its smaller spin-off projects need/have, the chance of picking up new users from the transition to Gnome3, competition (as well as cooperation) with other *buntus (Lubuntu, Ubuntu Studio) as well as building/maintaining a healthy (and probably closer) relationship with upstream (Xfce devs).
Those issues seem to be rather important and I believe that Pasi can help the project to get the best out of these challenges for the project.

Last but not least I'd like to say that I appreciate Charlie Kravetz both personally and in the ways he has contributed to the Xubuntu project as project lead in the past releases, so this nomination is not meant as critique or disapproval of him or his work. But I think that it's healthy to have a change of project lead every once in a while and get some fresh input.
Another point is that I think that if we're voting for a new project lead, there should at least be two nominations, otherwise people don't even have a choice - so here you go

I'm looking forward to an interesting election on the 23rd,
Simon Steinbeiß

Old 10-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

[...]

Thanks Simon, for the nomination, and the kind words.

Per procedure, I confirm that I am willing to serve as the new Xubuntu
Project Lead.

You can find my wiki page for the Project Lead vote at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PasiLallinaho/XPL. The page includes a brief
history of me and Open Source, as well as some thoughts about the
Xubuntu community and future challenges. If you want, feel free to add
your support on the wiki page.

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project » http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 10-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 10-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 10-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:40:44 +0300
Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:

> On 10/15/2011 05:02 PM, Simon Steinbeiß wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I guess most of you know me as a contributor to xubuntu-artwork. Today I'd like to nominate my collegue and friend Pasi Lallinaho for Xubuntu Project Lead.
> > I have known Pasi for years now, in fact he was already contributing to Xubuntu as Marketing Lead when I slowly joined #xubuntu-devel, so that's where I first encountered him. My experience working with him as a member of the Xubuntu team as well as Project Lead of the Shimmer Project has been very positive. He is a very creative thinker and tends to have opinions on matters at hand, but he's also open for other people/opinions.
> >
> > Personally I think a team leader needs to have quite a few different qualities, being cooperative is one of them. Another important factor is whether a team leader has a vision of the project, in this case something like "What should Xubuntu be". In these respects I think Pasi is an excellent choice as team leader, he's good at encouraging people to contribute (at least he managed with me ) and he is able to give guidance and direction.
> >
> > I think for the Xubuntu project the upcoming releases will be very challenging: the ever annoying changes by Canonical/Ubuntu ignoring what its smaller spin-off projects need/have, the chance of picking up new users from the transition to Gnome3, competition (as well as cooperation) with other *buntus (Lubuntu, Ubuntu Studio) as well as building/maintaining a healthy (and probably closer) relationship with upstream (Xfce devs).
> > Those issues seem to be rather important and I believe that Pasi can help the project to get the best out of these challenges for the project.
> >
> > Last but not least I'd like to say that I appreciate Charlie Kravetz both personally and in the ways he has contributed to the Xubuntu project as project lead in the past releases, so this nomination is not meant as critique or disapproval of him or his work. But I think that it's healthy to have a change of project lead every once in a while and get some fresh input.
> > Another point is that I think that if we're voting for a new project lead, there should at least be two nominations, otherwise people don't even have a choice - so here you go
> >
> > I'm looking forward to an interesting election on the 23rd,
> > Simon Steinbeiß
>
> Thanks Simon, for the nomination, and the kind words.
>
> Per procedure, I confirm that I am willing to serve as the new Xubuntu
> Project Lead.
>
> You can find my wiki page for the Project Lead vote at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PasiLallinaho/XPL. The page includes a brief
> history of me and Open Source, as well as some thoughts about the
> Xubuntu community and future challenges. If you want, feel free to add
> your support on the wiki page.
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi

Welcome to the nomination stage of the election for Xubuntu Project
Lead. Congratulations on this nomination. This is a nomination to be
proud of. I will wish you the best of luck. I will also say "Thank you"
for accepting this nomination. I agree wholeheartedly that an election
with a single nominee is a not a choice.

- --
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Project Lead

Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 PM