Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Xubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/)
-   -   Xubuntu Top 10 FAQ feedback (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/567418-xubuntu-top-10-faq-feedback.html)

Pasi Lallinaho 08-23-2011 04:28 PM

Xubuntu Top 10 FAQ feedback
 
The comments in this mail refer to
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HyhsMPDyyN-mRWRujfZX3JuKX9aWFQPWsxMEiJX99gQ/edit?pli=1

#1
Say something about pulseaudio. Maybe offer purging pulseaudio as a last
resort.

#2
Do we "support" Compiz on Xubuntu? Make a note if we don't. This is
still maybe one of the most low-priority stuff in the list, so even if
it's the second most common, move it to the bottom.

#5
Also tell how the user can get his panels back, in the same question or
other.

#6
Users *can* edit menus in pre-Natty, they just must do it manually.
Point to a tutorial to do this, because some people just wants to do it,
whatever it takes.

+
Howto on installing additional drivers would be nice, even if it's not
objectively in the top 10.
Point people to Software Center or Synaptic and tell them they can
install their favourite app there.
I remember seeing lots of questions about burning discs. Should we
mention something about xfburn?
We don't have to call it "Top 10", if people don't have as many as 10
common problems with Xubuntu.
Proof-read, triple check package names and once again, proof-read.

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org/
Graphic artist, webdesigner, Ubuntu member IRC: knome @ freenode


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Charlie Kravetz 08-23-2011 05:14 PM

Xubuntu Top 10 FAQ feedback
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:28:59 +0300
Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:

> The comments in this mail refer to
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HyhsMPDyyN-mRWRujfZX3JuKX9aWFQPWsxMEiJX99gQ/edit?pli=1
>
> #1
> Say something about pulseaudio. Maybe offer purging pulseaudio as a last
> resort.
>
> #2
> Do we "support" Compiz on Xubuntu? Make a note if we don't. This is
> still maybe one of the most low-priority stuff in the list, so even if
> it's the second most common, move it to the bottom.

yes, we do, and if this is the most asked question, this belongs near
the top of the list.

>
> #5
> Also tell how the user can get his panels back, in the same question or
> other.

Definitely should tell the user this.

>
> #6
> Users *can* edit menus in pre-Natty, they just must do it manually.
> Point to a tutorial to do this, because some people just wants to do it,
> whatever it takes.

something like:

1. [for 4.6] copy '/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu to
'~/.config/xdg/menus' and customize it.

2. [for 4.6] You can also
create desktop entries in '~/.local/share/applications' to override the
existing applications (change or hide) or add new ones.

3. [for 4.6] http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

4. For Xfce 4.8, 'sudo apt-get install alacarte --no-install-recommends'
in a terminal will let you use an editor to change the menus.

>
> +
> Howto on installing additional drivers would be nice, even if it's not
> objectively in the top 10.
> Point people to Software Center or Synaptic and tell them they can
> install their favourite app there.
> I remember seeing lots of questions about burning discs. Should we
> mention something about xfburn?

xfburn is not the default burner in all releases

> We don't have to call it "Top 10", if people don't have as many as 10
> common problems with Xubuntu.
> Proof-read, triple check package names and once again, proof-read.
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi
>


- --
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJOU9/hAAoJEFNEIRz9dxbADOcH/RKpTWBiiHKvjsriCfWdZTaj
6B+ayQqSMQeXKn5xsts3ws4BUWXBUFVeqWbzQzczY6OZSfcy6q +GT4fvGKE/G7aY
+X4x5R5Wrgp8GOW4A0ILDLbJW1md5rcGTs+nh8KAKjWQGnXGZl rO6UMo62/ZOED8
yQ1bzoHWmFDHX5PlHPagDrXAn+BJnsJLNrdUZbh5lhNOWXeaYK Jhlp2NuOHDKvO5
Vm7c4GkiQbHAMYlhMeMt9W9jIDVKamgAtj76p63DpdVIDR09Lt G7BvQdsUblSJez
65EFRKrRsop3KvtSgaukbMAGfuJZ1yVxWtZN1DQugYHbqq+i5O vxgJnkcF5aSuE=
=Zxso
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Bruno Benitez 08-23-2011 05:23 PM

Xubuntu Top 10 FAQ feedback
 
Done a few of the recomendations

but given that my native language is not english i can't really proof read it, so i will have to ask you people to check it.



oh, thank you very much for your help

2011/8/23 Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com>



--

xubuntu-devel mailing list

xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel



--
Bruno.-


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Pasi Lallinaho 08-23-2011 06:06 PM

Xubuntu Top 10 FAQ feedback
 
On 23.08.2011 20:23, Bruno Benitez wrote:
Done a
few of the recomendations



but given that my native language is not english i can't
really proof read it, so i will have to ask you people to
check it.





oh, thank you very much for your help



2011/8/23 Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com>




--

xubuntu-devel mailing list

xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel










--

Bruno.-




Proofread, did some changes and made it a bit more readable.



Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project *http://shimmerproject.org/
Graphic artist, webdesigner, Ubuntu member IRC: knome @ freenode


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Jarno Suni 08-31-2011 12:40 PM

Xubuntu Top 10 FAQ feedback
 
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> The comments in this mail refer to
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HyhsMPDyyN-mRWRujfZX3JuKX9aWFQPWsxMEiJX99gQ/edit?pli=1
>
> #1
> Say something about pulseaudio. Maybe offer purging pulseaudio as a last
> resort.

Yes, for many people pulseaudio may be mainly extra load, and it might
work worse in basic use than bare ALSA. For some people OSS4 might
work better than ALSA
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=713209), but it has
currently no support in ubuntu:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound

> #2
> Do we "support" Compiz on Xubuntu? Make a note if we don't. This is
> still maybe one of the most low-priority stuff in the list, so even if
> it's the second most common, move it to the bottom.

It might be good to tell you need a 3D accelerated graphics driver with it.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.