Old 07-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Eero Tamminen

Default CPU utilization applets (was: Panels in Oneiric Ocelot)

Hi,

On lauantai 30 heinäkuu 2011, Jarno Suni wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> > I've seen several non-technical people to like a CPU usage indicator.
> > Especially on machines that have less RAM or are otherwise slower, it
> > shows that machine is actually doing something as response to user
> > actions, like starting Firefox...
>
> ...CPU Graph takes several percents of CPU in older computers...

I don't have Xubuntu myself (I've just installed & maintain it for
relatives), so I cannot test now how much exactly each of the CPU
utilization applets takes by default, but at least you can change
their update intervals to something more sensible than their default
interval.

If I remember correctly, the CPU graph updates take ~1% of CPU
on 1.4Ghz AMD Athlon XP, when the updates happen at 1Hz interval.

I just don't understand why their max interval is limited to about
1 sec. On older machine even a bit longer interval would be nice.

- Eero

Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
"Carlos J. Gil Bellosta "

Hello,

I experience the same problem with the CPU (and memory) usage
indicator on Xubuntu. I had a look at the code and found a number of
efficiency savings that could go into it. For instance, you need not
rewrite the bars every quarter second, maybe just if they change by
more than, say, a 5-10%. And there are some calculations inside the C
code that could be done otherwise in order to improve performance.

I tried to contact the developer, but he never answered back, though.

Best regards,

Carlos J. Gil Bellosta
http://www.datanalytics.com

Old 07-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:38:44 +0200
"Carlos J. Gil Bellosta " <cgb@datanalytics.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I experience the same problem with the CPU (and memory) usage
> indicator on Xubuntu. I had a look at the code and found a number of
> efficiency savings that could go into it. For instance, you need not
> rewrite the bars every quarter second, maybe just if they change by
> more than, say, a 5-10%. And there are some calculations inside the C
> code that could be done otherwise in order to improve performance.
>
> I tried to contact the developer, but he never answered back, though.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carlos J. Gil Bellosta
> http://www.datanalytics.com
>

> 2011/7/30 Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi>:
> > Hi,

> >> ...CPU Graph takes several percents of CPU in older computers...
> >
> > I don't have Xubuntu myself (I've just installed & maintain it for
> > relatives), so I cannot test now how much exactly each of the CPU
> > utilization applets takes by default, but at least you can change
> > their update intervals to something more sensible than their default
> > interval.
> >
> > If I remember correctly, the CPU graph updates take ~1% of CPU
> > on 1.4Ghz AMD Athlon XP, when the updates happen at 1Hz interval.
> >
> > I just don't understand why their max interval is limited to about
> > 1 sec. *On older machine even a bit longer interval would be nice.
> >

> > * * * *- Eero
> >
> > --

Please start a completely new subject. We now have so many discussions
in this thread it is fast becoming useless. If the simple panel
discussion thread has to be used for every discussion of an issue, I
will disregard the entire thread and nothing will be used from it.

If you do not use a proper threading email client, it would be good to
find out what that is.

- --
Charlie Kravetz