Old 07-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Bruno Benitez

Default Replacing GIMP

Hello, how is everybody? Hope you are all okay.
I have always found that having GIMP as the default graphic editor for any distribution to be "too much", I am of the opinion that people get scare if then come and see so many options and floating menus and etc, so I think that Xubuntu (and any linux distro if that matters) should have a standard simple graphic editor.

*I think the best options today are*GNU Paint**and Pinta*, if anything i support the second one.

I think that having a simple editor will make people like the system better, also integrating it to the screen capture program could be a great idea, i know that today on the screencapture program that comes whit xubuntu an "open whit..." option appears as part of the options of what to do whit the screenshot, it could be really cool if the preselected option where "Open whit... [image editor]" and the user can choose then if to edit it, add words, cut, mark things, etc, or simply save it to a file.

well i think thats pretty much it. thank you for reading.--
Bruno.-

Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
James Freer

*

--
Bruno.-

Having a simple editor that is inline with the xubuntu practice of
minimal and simplicity is a good idea. But the application does need to
work effectively.

examples
a] Bulk rename is fine - effective and fit-for-purpose.... i used to
use kRename [now redone and rather complicated.

b] dics burning xfburn and Brasero are fine... no need for k3b.
c] Ristretto... poor compared with eog. eog is still lightweight but
more capable.

As for Gimp i find it too advanced for my photo uses and have used
Imagemagick for sometime now as it fits together well with the album
generator llgal. Pinta would seem a good idea. I don't know if there is
another command line editor but in xubuntu the 'openterminal here' that
comes up in Thunar is ideal [don't think ubuntu had this] for then
running a comand line app. Just seems to fit nicely with copying pics
to directories and batch rename, resize and watermark.

yours
james

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Bruno Benitez

For everyday work whit images i've found that gpicview from the lxde project it's actually pretty awesome, rotating an image or saving in another format is pretty quick, I don't think it can handle batch conversions or renamings tho.

for the media recording programs I don't think xubuntu will ever use k3b, being kde dependant and all, and i think xfce people is working on improving xfburn, so yeah.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Fredrick

Other simple image editors are Kolourpaint, gnome-paint and xpaint

I personally prefer kolourpaint as a simple image editor, but I think it depends on too many KDE libraries to be feasible for inclusion in Xubuntu

On Jul 22, 2011 8:09 AM, "James Freer" <jessejazza3@aol.co.uk> wrote:> -----Original Message-----

Old 07-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Alok

I think gthumb is perfect for such needs. Its neither too complicated, nor too simplistic. Offers enough features to be a capable image editor.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 PM
James Freer

I'd agree... i used gthumb for 4 yrs until i started using xubuntu and
then found when installing that we're including more than a few
dependencies. Strangely enough eog was the default viewer on gnome....
iirc.

james

Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Jarno Suni

If user wants proper image creation and editing software, he/she can
install ubuntustudio-graphics metapackage. That includes gimp in
11.04. Ubuntu Studio 11.10 is going to use Xfce desktop and its lead
is interested in developing working relations with the Xubuntu team:
http://dullass.blogspot.com/2011/05/ubuntu-studio-moving-to-xfce.html

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 07-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Jarno Suni

Suggesting to install the ubuntustudio-graphics metapackage and using
it in Xubuntu session is not telling to use any other distribution. If
Xubuntu is going to be all you need, I would expect some modularity
and make the default installation a good starting point. I think it is
great that Xubuntu users can benefit from the expertise of Ubuntu
Studio developers in multimedia creation.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Charlie Kravetz