Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Default top 10 FAQ for Xubuntu site

On 06/20/2011 11:06 PM, Bruno Benitez wrote:
Hello
to all, hope you are having a very nice day.

First of all thanks to all the people who makes xubuntu, I
always find* this to be one of the greatest linux distros I've
tried. So Thank You All.

Now to business, as I've proposed on the #xubuntu-devel
channel I would like if Xubuntu had a "Top 10 FAQ", Why?
because I feel that if a new user comes to an absolute new OS
and finds out he can't listen his music he might go and say,
"What?!" and then leave, but if he would come and see that
what he has just installed says to them "Here, check this top
10 questions to get you started", then he would feel welcome
and will most probably stay.

I actually wrote a similar list for 9.04, but main emphasis on
problems/bugs rather than actions. You can read that on my blog [1].

I also wrote an article about getting support [2], which I think
could be used as a base for something similar to use alongside the
"Top 10 FAQ".

So I'm proposing this possible, not demandatory, and not even
10, questions, in no particular order either:

How to listen music and play video?

We are soon going to have an interactive tutorial on the default
music player, gmusicbrowser, on the Shimmer Project site [3]. This
documentation will be posted to Planet Ubuntu, and is definitely
free to use.

Video playing should be pretty straightforward, but maybe we could
point the users to the applications. One thing that is problematic
here is the codecs. Telling users to install
xubuntu-restricted-extras fixes this, but somehow I can't make it
sound good in my head to tell this in a "how to get started" -style
FAQ.

How
to install video drivers?

Aren't these supposed to be installed automatically?

How
to turn sound?

Sound on, or change the volume?

How
to play DVD's?

Again, the codec issue. Other than that, it's pretty much the same
as playing videos.

How to enable Compiz? (this is a really usual question
on #xubuntu)

This is a common question, but AFAIK we don't really support Xfce
and Compiz, so it sounds awkward to list this on the FAQ. Posting
blog entries about this in personal blogs and then pointing to them
might be a good way. There even is some articles about this already,
I think.

How
does one move panels? (this might sound silly, but many
people have asked this at least once, me included)

I think this should belong in a Xfce tutorial, which the Xubuntu
community could also write, and which could be linked to from the

How
to add new themes?

Adding new themes is easy, but many times users want to install a
Gnome theme (metacity window borders). We might not want to tell a
user that he can't do something in our "Top 10 FAQ"

Why don't wallpapers stay listed on the xfdesktop-settings?

2 comments up; Xfce tutorial.

I am also proposing this to be 10 FAQ because that would make them
easy to mantain, and easy to translate to many languages by those
people interested on to it, like me.

In order for it to be easily maintainable in terms of translations
not getting too old, the FAQ items should probably be as short as
possible, without sacrificing clarity.

Well thats all i guess, have a good day.

--

Bruno.-

[1]
http://open.knome.fi/2009/07/05/panels-disappearing-and-other-frequently-asked-questions/

[2] http://open.knome.fi/2009/05/28/getting-support/

[3] http://shimmerproject.org/

--
Pasi Lallinaho http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project *http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:51:01 +0300
Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:

> On 06/20/2011 11:06 PM, Bruno Benitez wrote:
> > Hello to all, hope you are having a very nice day.
> >
> > First of all thanks to all the people who makes xubuntu, I always
> > find this to be one of the greatest linux distros I've tried. So
> > Thank You All.
> >

> > Now to business, as I've proposed on the #xubuntu-devel channel I
> > would like if Xubuntu had a "Top 10 FAQ", Why? because I feel that if
> > a new user comes to an absolute new OS and finds out he can't listen
> > his music he might go and say, "What?!" and then leave, but if he
> > would come and see that what he has just installed says to them "Here,
> > check this top 10 questions to get you started", then he would feel
> > welcome and will most probably stay.
> I actually wrote a similar list for 9.04, but main emphasis on
> problems/bugs rather than actions. You can read that on my blog [1].
>
> I also wrote an article about getting support [2], which I think could
> be used as a base for something similar to use alongside the "Top 10 FAQ".
> >
> > So I'm proposing this possible, not demandatory, and not even 10,
> > questions, in no particular order either:
> >
> > /How to listen music and play video?
> > /
> We are soon going to have an interactive tutorial on the default music
> player, gmusicbrowser, on the Shimmer Project site [3]. This
> documentation will be posted to Planet Ubuntu, and is definitely free to
> use.
>
> Video playing should be pretty straightforward, but maybe we could point
> the users to the applications. One thing that is problematic here is the
> codecs. Telling users to install xubuntu-restricted-extras fixes this,
> but somehow I can't make it sound good in my head to tell this in a "how
> to get started" -style FAQ.

To be honest, I don' t think we are going to send users all over the
web to find out how to work applications. We do not do that now,
instead we spend time explaining how to do it.

As to codecs, what is the difference between telling a use in #xubuntu
"install xubuntu-retricted-extras by opening a terminal and typing
'sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras' vs writing it down for
them to read?

> > /How to install video drivers?
> > /
> Aren't these supposed to be installed automatically?

This depends on the video card. I often have advised new users to go to
System -> Additional Drivers and install what is there.

> > /How to turn sound?
> > /
> Sound on, or change the volume?

Remains to be seen if Oneiric will start muted. I see many users asking
why the sound is muted, and having to explain "install pavucontrol" is
a very easy answer in a FAQ.

> > /How to play DVD's?
> > /
> Again, the codec issue. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as
> playing videos.

I, for one, do not find this the same. To the best of my memory, you
don' t even use the same application.

> > /How to enable Compiz? (/this is a really usual question on #xubuntu/)
> > /
> This is a common question, but AFAIK we don't really support Xfce and
> Compiz, so it sounds awkward to list this on the FAQ. Posting blog
> entries about this in personal blogs and then pointing to them might be
> a good way. There even is some articles about this already, I think.

I think telling users "yes, you can install compiz and ccsm to Xubuntu"
is a great idea.

> > /How does one move panels? (/this might sound silly, but many people
> > have asked this at least once, me included/)
> > /
> I think this should belong in a Xfce tutorial, which the Xubuntu
> community could also write, and which could be linked to from the FAQ

Again, I do not want to send users all over to get help, when it is so
simple for us to tell them directly. Why should a one or two line
answer have to be replaced with a one or two line reference to another
website?

> > /How to add new themes?
> > /
> Adding new themes is easy, but many times users want to install a Gnome
> theme (metacity window borders). We might not want to tell a user that
> he can't do something in our "Top 10 FAQ"

And where do you learn how to add any theme? What tells the user to
create ~/.themes or add to /usr/share/themes ?

> > /Why don't wallpapers stay listed on the xfdesktop-settings?
> > /
> 2 comments up; Xfce tutorial.

Again, do not send Xubuntu users away.

> > I am also proposing this to be 10 FAQ because that would make them
> > easy to mantain, and easy to translate to many languages by those
> > people interested on to it, like me.
> In order for it to be easily maintainable in terms of translations not
> getting too old, the FAQ items should probably be as short as possible,
> without sacrificing clarity.

A very good point. And if these simple items will help Xubuntu build
and maintain its user base, that would be fantastic.

> > Well thats all i guess, have a good day.
> >

> > --
> > Bruno.-
> >

> [1]
> http://open.knome.fi/2009/07/05/panels-disappearing-and-other-frequently-asked-questions/
> [2] http://open.knome.fi/2009/05/28/getting-support/
> [3] http://shimmerproject.org/

Perhaps these can be used as a starting point. But let's get a few more
people involved.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Project Lead

Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 06/21/2011 12:36 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:51:01 +0300
> Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
>
>> On 06/20/2011 11:06 PM, Bruno Benitez wrote:
>>> Hello to all, hope you are having a very nice day.
>>>
>>> First of all thanks to all the people who makes xubuntu, I always
>>> find this to be one of the greatest linux distros I've tried. So
>>> Thank You All.
>>>

>>> Now to business, as I've proposed on the #xubuntu-devel channel I
>>> would like if Xubuntu had a "Top 10 FAQ", Why? because I feel that if
>>> a new user comes to an absolute new OS and finds out he can't listen
>>> his music he might go and say, "What?!" and then leave, but if he
>>> would come and see that what he has just installed says to them "Here,
>>> check this top 10 questions to get you started", then he would feel
>>> welcome and will most probably stay.
>> I actually wrote a similar list for 9.04, but main emphasis on
>> problems/bugs rather than actions. You can read that on my blog [1].
>>
>> I also wrote an article about getting support [2], which I think could
>> be used as a base for something similar to use alongside the "Top 10 FAQ".
>>> So I'm proposing this possible, not demandatory, and not even 10,
>>> questions, in no particular order either:
>>>
>>> /How to listen music and play video?
>>> /
>> We are soon going to have an interactive tutorial on the default music
>> player, gmusicbrowser, on the Shimmer Project site [3]. This
>> documentation will be posted to Planet Ubuntu, and is definitely free to
>> use.
>>
>> Video playing should be pretty straightforward, but maybe we could point
>> the users to the applications. One thing that is problematic here is the
>> codecs. Telling users to install xubuntu-restricted-extras fixes this,
>> but somehow I can't make it sound good in my head to tell this in a "how
>> to get started" -style FAQ.
> To be honest, I don' t think we are going to send users all over the
> web to find out how to work applications. We do not do that now,
> instead we spend time explaining how to do it.
>
> As to codecs, what is the difference between telling a use in #xubuntu
> "install xubuntu-retricted-extras by opening a terminal and typing
> 'sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras' vs writing it down for
> them to read?
Sorry, with "point the users to the applications" I meant telling users
which applications are designed for eg. video watching. We could have a
short list of all the (important) default applications.

The difference is that you typoed the command the first time No
seriously, there is no difference, but I would't like to tell a newbie
as the first thing to open a terminal. That scares people away. Is the
package in Software Center? Is there any other way to install it?
>>> /How to install video drivers?
>>> /
>> Aren't these supposed to be installed automatically?
> This depends on the video card. I often have advised new users to go to
> System -> Additional Drivers and install what is there.

Right. Can't hurt... But obviously, we should tell the users they
usually do not need any drivers or if they do, they should be normally
installed automatically.
>>> /How to turn sound?
>>> /
>> Sound on, or change the volume?
> Remains to be seen if Oneiric will start muted. I see many users asking
> why the sound is muted, and having to explain "install pavucontrol" is
> a very easy answer in a FAQ.

Yeah.
>>> /How to play DVD's?
>>> /
>> Again, the codec issue. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as
>> playing videos.
> I, for one, do not find this the same. To the best of my memory, you
> don' t even use the same application.

I play all of my DVD's and videos with VLC, so I don't know. Looks like
Parole can play DVD's as well, so it is really a matter of teaching one app.

Isn't there even a possibility for DVD autostart?
>>> /How to enable Compiz? (/this is a really usual question on #xubuntu/)
>>> /
>> This is a common question, but AFAIK we don't really support Xfce and
>> Compiz, so it sounds awkward to list this on the FAQ. Posting blog
>> entries about this in personal blogs and then pointing to them might be
>> a good way. There even is some articles about this already, I think.
> I think telling users "yes, you can install compiz and ccsm to Xubuntu"
> is a great idea.

As long as we tell them we are not supporting it (as in saying we'll fix
it if it breaks). Or are we?
>>> /How does one move panels? (/this might sound silly, but many people
>>> have asked this at least once, me included/)
>>> /
>> I think this should belong in a Xfce tutorial, which the Xubuntu
>> community could also write, and which could be linked to from the FAQ
> Again, I do not want to send users all over to get help, when it is so
> simple for us to tell them directly. Why should a one or two line
> answer have to be replaced with a one or two line reference to another
> website?

There shouldn't be only this one issue in the Xfce tutorial. It could
cover more than what we can fit into our small FAQ, and a link to it
could be FAQ number X.
>>> /How to add new themes?
>>> /
>> Adding new themes is easy, but many times users want to install a Gnome
>> theme (metacity window borders). We might not want to tell a user that
>> he can't do something in our "Top 10 FAQ"
> And where do you learn how to add any theme? What tells the user to
> create ~/.themes or add to /usr/share/themes ?

Again, bad choice of words. I meant that it's easy to tell people how to
install themes, but when they try to install a metacity theme, it all
goes really hard, since there really isn't such thing as metacity themes
in Xubuntu.

--
Graphic artist, webdesigner, Ubuntu member IRC: knome @ freenode

Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:06:32 -0300
Bruno Benitez <gridcube@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello to all, hope you are having a very nice day.
>
> First of all thanks to all the people who makes xubuntu, I always find this
> to be one of the greatest linux distros I've tried. So Thank You All.
>

> Now to business, as I've proposed on the #xubuntu-devel channel I would like
> if Xubuntu had a "Top 10 FAQ", Why? because I feel that if a new user comes
> to an absolute new OS and finds out he can't listen his music he might go
> and say, "What?!" and then leave, but if he would come and see that what he
> has just installed says to them "Here, check this top 10 questions to get
> you started", then he would feel welcome and will most probably stay.
>
> So I'm proposing this possible, not demandatory, and not even 10, questions,
> in no particular order either:
>
> *How to listen music and play video?
> How to install video drivers?
> How to turn sound?
> How to play DVD's?
> How to enable Compiz? (*this is a really usual question on #xubuntu*)
> How does one move panels? (*this might sound silly, but many people have
> asked this at least once, me included*)
> How to add new themes?
> Why don't wallpapers stay listed on the xfdesktop-settings?
> *
>
> I am also proposing this to be 10 FAQ because that would make them easy to
> mantain, and easy to translate to many languages by those people interested
> on to it, like me.
>
> Well thats all i guess, have a good day.

This is a fantastic idea for Xubuntu. Yes, many of these should be
intuitive. Some are, but most are issues that many new people ask over
and over in #xubuntu. I am quite sure these are not all the things it
would be nice to point to, either. Let's get a list together and post
it on the http://xubuntu.org. It will not only be a very useful aid for
new users, but a way to draw/push those same users to the website.

If you would like to see an item on this list, please submit it. We are
closing submissions in two weeks, which will be 2011-07-13.

Thanks for helping make Xubuntu greater than it is!

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Project Lead

Old 07-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Bruno Benitez

Hello, as I'm not seeing people considering new questions i have taken the time to do a simple grep of the #xubuntu logs from irclogs.ubuntu.com from 09 to last week for:

How do?
How to?
What program?
I want to..

I think that looking at this we could manage to condense a bunch of repetitive questions that pop from time to time, if you think there is something to add to my greps please tell me and I will add that too. Else I will start to parse this results for the most common questions I can find.

Again, thank you all who do Xubuntu, and have a nice day.

2011/6/29 Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com>

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:06:32 -0300

Bruno Benitez <gridcube@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello to all, hope you are having a very nice day.

> First of all thanks to all the people who makes xubuntu, I always find *this

> to be one of the greatest linux distros I've tried. So Thank You All.

> Now to business, as I've proposed on the #xubuntu-devel channel I would like

> if Xubuntu had a "Top 10 FAQ", Why? because I feel that if a new user comes

> to an absolute new OS and finds out he can't listen his music he might go

> and say, "What?!" and then leave, but if he would come and see that what he

> has just installed says to them "Here, check this top 10 questions to get

> you started", then he would feel welcome and will most probably stay.

> So I'm proposing this possible, not demandatory, and not even 10, questions,

> in no particular order either:

> *How to listen music and play video?

> How to install video drivers?

> How to turn sound?

> How to play DVD's?

> How to enable Compiz? (*this is a really usual question on #xubuntu*)

> How does one move panels? (*this might sound silly, but many people have

> asked this at least once, me included*)

> How to add new themes?

> Why don't wallpapers stay listed on the xfdesktop-settings?

> *

> I am also proposing this to be 10 FAQ because that would make them easy to

> mantain, and easy to translate to many languages by those people interested

> on to it, like me.

> Well thats all i guess, have a good day.

This is a fantastic idea for Xubuntu. Yes, many of these should be

intuitive. Some are, but most are issues that many new people ask over

and over in #xubuntu. I am quite sure these are not all the things it

would be nice to point to, either. Let's get a list together and post

it on the http://xubuntu.org. It will not only be a very useful aid for

new users, but a way to draw/push those same users to the website.

If you would like to see an item on this list, please submit it. We are

closing submissions in two weeks, which will be 2011-07-13.

Thanks for helping make Xubuntu greater than it is!

--

Charlie Kravetz

Xubuntu Project Lead

Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

Bruno.-

Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Jarno Suni

q: How to remove pulseaudio?

http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 07-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

After a quick look, I suppose combining at least "how do"/"how to"
with question mark and/or "please", I think we can rule out a great
amount of rows...

Pasi

Old 07-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Pasi Lallinaho