Old 06-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Micah Gersten

Default Call For Testing: Natty Firefox users (or willing to install Natty in a VM)

We need Natty users to test our latest Firefox Upgrade!

*Background:*

Firefox 4 will not receive any more point releases, but rather
Firefox 5 is the security update for Firefox 4.0.1. Upstream
Mozilla has changed their release process and are using a rapid
release schedule.* We will be following this new release schedule
to continue to deliver a secure browsing experience to our users.

Since Natty has Firefox 4, it will start this process immediately.
Lucid and Maverick which are on 3.6.x will be transitioning to the
new rapid release cycle once 3.6.x has reached end of life.

Before releasing these updates to the public, we need testing of
the following packages:

firefox
xul-ext-webfav
xul-ext-mozvoikko
xul-ext-bindwood
gecko-mediaplayer
moonlight-plugin-core

We have published all these packages in a PPA [1], and, for your
convenience, have copied these updates to natty-proposed.* You can
either enable the Ubuntu Mozilla Security PPA (instructions to
follow) or natty-proposed.* Please keep in mind, that
natty-proposed might get you a lot of other extra packages as
well.

We need people running Natty in bare metal or a virtual machine.
If you are willing to help, here's what you can do:

Add the Ubuntu Mozilla Security PPA to your software sources:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa

or

enable natty-proposed

Then, you can either run update-manager or:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Since there are very few packages, we are tracking this
transition in bug 798484 [2].* I have added verification-needed-*
tags for each of the packages that need testing.* If you find a
bug, please file a new bug with all the details, then, comment
with the bug # and the affected package name in the tracking bug
[2].* If you see the verification-needed-* tag for a specific
package, feel free to comment if you have tested the package and
it works.* If you see a verification-done-* tag for a specific
package, there is no need to comment that it works, but more
testing is always appreciated.*** If you see a
verification-failed-* tag for a specific package, please check if
your bug has already been filed, if not, please file one with all
the details and comment in the tracking bug with the bug # and the
package name.

Feel free to subscribe to this bug [2] to follow the progress,
but be forewarned that you will probably get a lot of E-Mail from
it.

Please note, packages need to be tested to migrate to
natty-security and natty-updates.

Thanks to everyone in advance,

Micah

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ppa

[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/798484

P.S.* The current final Firefox 5 build and moon are currently
finishing building on armel and will be copied to natty-proposed
over the weekend.* The other architectures' packages are available
in the Ubuntu Mozilla Security PPA.

--
Micah Gersten
Ubuntu Security Team