Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Marketing Xubuntu

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:33:51 +0800
Jason Wee <peichieh@gmail.com> wrote:

> start by spreading the news to the general public users and also only
> consider users which is interested and responded to you. Then held
> workshop on xubuntu on what it is and what can it do for users for
> daily chores. I think users would want to know which opensource
> software can replace the software that they use in windows and you
> might want to consider that by teaching through the workshop.
>
> /Jason

You have some good points here. Of cource, we have start somewhere,
and perhaps that is by identifying our users? Who is the target
audience of Xubuntu. I have long maintained that it is not the
beginning Linux users. Ubuntu targets that group, and is well designed
to meet their needs. We are in a good position to look towards those
intermediate and expert users, I think.

Now, how do I get news to the general public?

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> > I have given marketing a lot of thought. I am by no means an expert in
> > marketing, and may need someone to set me straight. However, I am
> > hoping to at least get some discussion started.
> >
> > How do you market Xubuntu? It is free, it generates no revenue, and it
> > must be given away. This seems to present a dilemma.
> >
> > How would you market Xubuntu if it were a new product to be sold today?
> > Unfortunately, at the present time, the advertising budget is empty.
> > But, that does not mean it can not be done.
> >
> > I would start by telling people what a great Operating System this is.
> > It can replace Microsoft Windows 100% and it won't cost you anything.
> > If you would like to use Xubuntu, we will GIVE it to you free. Along
> > with Xubuntu, we are going to allow you to install any application
> > included free. There are thousands of programs you can use. What's the
> > catch? You must tell two (2) people about it.
> >
> > I would expect a session about this fantastic operating system given a
> > couple of times a year. That could generate a lot of good will, and new
> > users for Xubuntu. (That is called UbuntuOpenWeek and Ubuntu User's
> > Days)
> >
> > What can you do to help market this great OS? Give us your ideas,
> > please. What do we need to change to make this the best selling
> > distribution available? (Every user we gain "buys" this distribution,
> > every user we lose "throws away" this distribution).
> >
> > Can you sell this product? We are looking for great Marketing people,
> > the position pays *lots* of self-satisfaction. It also provides great
> > experience in Open Source marketing.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie Kravetz
> > Xubuntu Project Lead
> > Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]
> > Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]
> >
> > --

Charlie Kravetz

Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Vincent

> start by spreading the news to the general public users and also only

> consider users which is interested and responded to you. Then held

> workshop on xubuntu on what it is and what can it do for users for

> daily chores. I think users would want to know which opensource

> software can replace the software that they use in windows and you

> might want to consider that by teaching through the workshop.

> /Jason

You have some good points here. Of cource, we have start somewhere,

and perhaps that is by identifying our users? Who is the target

audience of Xubuntu. I have long maintained that it is not the

beginning Linux users. Ubuntu targets that group, and is well designed

to meet their needs. We are in a good position to look towards those

intermediate and expert users, I think.

Now, how do I get news to the general public?

Not really Xubuntu-specific, but for projects like Xubuntu in general the problem is that for people new to the open source world, the concept of "free because we are volunteers that run this project for fun" is a bit hard to grasp. When people see free they have learnt to associate it with handing over address details or getting lots of advertising, but as long as they don't see what "the catch" is, they will assume it must not be good. Therefore it might be good to focus on the kumbaya-feeling of open source, so as to make people "wanting to be part of it". (This is, all, of course, completely unscientific. I have no experience/training in marketing, this is all just gut feeling.)

When it comes to Xubuntu, start thinking about the reasons you actually use it. Is it because it's free of charge, because of the freedom/control it gives you, that you use it as opposed to one of the proprietary OS's? And is it because of its light-weightness/usability-combo, the flexibility of Xfce, the traditional desktop interface, that you use it as opposed to the easy, popular choices of Linux distros such as Ubuntu? If you prioritize such a list you can end up at the strengths of Xubuntu that will appeal to a group of people that might not have heard of Xubuntu yet. (This is a bit hard for me to do since I don't use Xubuntu anymore.)

Then of course the next step is to get the word out to those people. I think you should try to focus on existing Ubuntu users, as e.g. Windows users are hard to reach. For the latter group, you want to make sure that if they go looking for an alternative to their Windows installation with the before mentioned characteristics, that they can find Xubuntu. However, when actively reaching out, it would probably be easier to focus on people that are already using Ubuntu and might be happier using/trying Xubuntu. A way that I think Lubuntu is getting a lot of attention is because a fan of them is in the OMG! Ubuntu team - it might be an idea to see if someone from the Xubuntu community can nudge his/her way up there? ;-)

There, I weighed in on a discussion on xubuntu-devel
*

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Charlie Kravetz

> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> > I have given marketing a lot of thought. I am by no means an expert in

> > marketing, and may need someone to set me straight. However, I am

> > hoping to at least get some discussion started.

> > How do you market Xubuntu? It is free, it generates no revenue, and it

> > must be given away. This seems to present a dilemma.

> > How would you market Xubuntu if it were a new product to be sold today?

> > Unfortunately, at the present time, the advertising budget is empty.

> > But, that does not mean it can not be done.

> > I would start by telling people what a great Operating System this is.

> > It can replace Microsoft Windows 100% and it won't cost you anything.

> > If you would like to use Xubuntu, we will GIVE it to you free. Along

> > with Xubuntu, we are going to allow you to install any application

> > included free. There are thousands of programs you can use. What's the

> > catch? You must tell two (2) people about it.

> > I would expect a session about this fantastic operating system given a

> > couple of times a year. That could generate a lot of good will, and new

> > users for Xubuntu. (That is called UbuntuOpenWeek and Ubuntu User's

> > Days)

> > What can you do to help market this great OS? Give us your ideas,

> > please. What do we need to change to make this the best selling

> > distribution available? (Every user we gain "buys" this distribution,

> > every user we lose "throws away" this distribution).

> > Can you sell this product? We are looking for great Marketing people,

> > the position pays *lots* of self-satisfaction. It also provides great

> > experience in Open Source marketing.

> > --

> > Charlie Kravetz

> > Xubuntu Project Lead

> > Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

> > Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

> > --

Charlie Kravetz

Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Larry Cafiero

Hi there --

Xubuntu is not my primary distro, but it's one I use more than
occasionally (hence, it's why I'm on this list).

Rather than reinventing the wheel, you might want to take a look at
how other distros handle marketing. One that does a good job of it is
Fedora:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

This marketing team works hand in hand with an Ambassador team that
promotes Fedora:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors

Like Fedora or not, they do a pretty good job in promoting FOSS and
Fedora, sometimes in that order.

[Truth in advertising: I worked with the Fedora Project on the
Ambassador program for about three years, until leaving recently to
pursue other FOSS-related ventures.]

As an aside, we are holding a Lindependence event to coincide with
Software Freedom Day in September. We rent a local church hall and
invite representatives from various distros to come and show off their
work. I would welcome the opportunity to have Xubuntu represented.

Larry Cafiero
The Lindependence Project

Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Elizabeth Krumbach

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rather than reinventing the wheel, you might want to take a look at
> how other distros handle marketing. One that does a good job of it is
> Fedora:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

In a similar vein, I've been watching this thread go by thinking we
could piggy-back on top of Ubuntu marketing. I'd love to see more
(some?) Xubuntu stuff on spreadubuntu.org.

We're also in the middle of getting a test site together for a
migration of xubuntu.org to wordpress, perhaps once that's done we can
also add a "promote xubuntu" page to the site? We don't exactly make
it easy for folks who already support us to get ahold of our logos
(you have to search on our wiki) and other things so people can put
"badges" on their blogs and things.

> As an aside, we are holding a Lindependence event to coincide with
> Software Freedom Day in September. We rent a local church hall and
> invite representatives from various distros to come and show off their
> work. I would welcome the opportunity to have Xubuntu represented.

I was planning on coming anyway so I'd be happy to do some Xubuntu
showing off.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com