Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Marketing Xubuntu

I have given marketing a lot of thought. I am by no means an expert in
marketing, and may need someone to set me straight. However, I am
hoping to at least get some discussion started.

How do you market Xubuntu? It is free, it generates no revenue, and it
must be given away. This seems to present a dilemma.

How would you market Xubuntu if it were a new product to be sold today?
Unfortunately, at the present time, the advertising budget is empty.
But, that does not mean it can not be done.

I would start by telling people what a great Operating System this is.
It can replace Microsoft Windows 100% and it won't cost you anything.
If you would like to use Xubuntu, we will GIVE it to you free. Along
with Xubuntu, we are going to allow you to install any application
included free. There are thousands of programs you can use. What's the
catch? You must tell two (2) people about it.

I would expect a session about this fantastic operating system given a
couple of times a year. That could generate a lot of good will, and new
users for Xubuntu. (That is called UbuntuOpenWeek and Ubuntu User's
Days)

What can you do to help market this great OS? Give us your ideas,
please. What do we need to change to make this the best selling
distribution available? (Every user we gain "buys" this distribution,
every user we lose "throws away" this distribution).

Can you sell this product? We are looking for great Marketing people,
the position pays *lots* of self-satisfaction. It also provides great
experience in Open Source marketing.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Project Lead