-   -   Deactivate #xubuntu-offtopic for now (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/520070-deactivate-xubuntu-offtopic-now.html)

Charlie Kravetz 04-29-2011 09:56 PM

Deactivate #xubuntu-offtopic for now

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:14:53 +0300
Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:

> As I suggested today in the developer IRC channel, I think we should
> drop #xubuntu-offtopic for now. #xubuntu is quite relaxed already, and
> it feels like hitting your face in the wall when telling people to join
> the (almost) dead #xubuntu-offtopic.
>
> Since the activity in #xubuntu is not huge, we might want to allow more
> random chat in there, to attract more people. Of course, random chat
> should be kept minimal when someone has a support issue, but based on my
> experiences, it's really not a problem with the amount of activity we
> are having.
>
> While we would allow more random chatter, we should have at least some
> lousyish guidelines on what is acceptable - maybe let the discussion
> flow as long as it relates at least somehow to Xubuntu, or any of the
> issues solved etc.
>
> Of course, we still have the Code of Conduct, as well as the freenode
> policy, which are good guidelines on what is acceptable altogether.
>
> I don't know if the right way would be to "close" #xubuntu-offtopic or
> just not point people there (in the topic, for example), but I can be in
> contact with the #ubuntu-ops channel if we decide to do something about it.
>
> Any thoughts are welcome.
>
> Enjoy the new release,
> Pasi

This was discussed and we decided we really like our own
#xubuntu-offtopic channel. We will not be deactivating it.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Pasi Lallinaho 04-29-2011 09:59 PM

On 04/30/2011 12:56 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:14:53 +0300
> Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
>
>> As I suggested today in the developer IRC channel, I think we should
>> drop #xubuntu-offtopic for now. #xubuntu is quite relaxed already, and
>> it feels like hitting your face in the wall when telling people to join
>> the (almost) dead #xubuntu-offtopic.
>>
>> Since the activity in #xubuntu is not huge, we might want to allow more
>> random chat in there, to attract more people. Of course, random chat
>> should be kept minimal when someone has a support issue, but based on my
>> experiences, it's really not a problem with the amount of activity we
>> are having.
>>
>> While we would allow more random chatter, we should have at least some
>> lousyish guidelines on what is acceptable - maybe let the discussion
>> flow as long as it relates at least somehow to Xubuntu, or any of the
>> issues solved etc.
>>
>> Of course, we still have the Code of Conduct, as well as the freenode
>> policy, which are good guidelines on what is acceptable altogether.
>>
>> I don't know if the right way would be to "close" #xubuntu-offtopic or
>> just not point people there (in the topic, for example), but I can be in
>> contact with the #ubuntu-ops channel if we decide to do something about it.
>>
>> Any thoughts are welcome.
>>
>> Enjoy the new release,
>> Pasi
>>
> This was discussed and we decided we really like our own
> #xubuntu-offtopic channel. We will not be deactivating it.

Can you point me to the logs/mailing list archive where that discussion
has been at? I'd like to read some of the arguments both for and against
the #xubuntu-offtopic channel, and try to rethink the issue against the
current situation with those notes.

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org/

Charlie Kravetz 04-29-2011 10:18 PM

Deactivate #xubuntu-offtopic for now

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:59:49 +0300
Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:

> On 04/30/2011 12:56 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:14:53 +0300
> > Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> >
> >> As I suggested today in the developer IRC channel, I think we should
> >> drop #xubuntu-offtopic for now. #xubuntu is quite relaxed already, and
> >> it feels like hitting your face in the wall when telling people to join
> >> the (almost) dead #xubuntu-offtopic.
> >>
> >> Since the activity in #xubuntu is not huge, we might want to allow more
> >> random chat in there, to attract more people. Of course, random chat
> >> should be kept minimal when someone has a support issue, but based on my
> >> experiences, it's really not a problem with the amount of activity we
> >> are having.
> >>
> >> While we would allow more random chatter, we should have at least some
> >> lousyish guidelines on what is acceptable - maybe let the discussion
> >> flow as long as it relates at least somehow to Xubuntu, or any of the
> >> issues solved etc.
> >>
> >> Of course, we still have the Code of Conduct, as well as the freenode
> >> policy, which are good guidelines on what is acceptable altogether.
> >>
> >> I don't know if the right way would be to "close" #xubuntu-offtopic or
> >> just not point people there (in the topic, for example), but I can be in
> >> contact with the #ubuntu-ops channel if we decide to do something about it.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts are welcome.
> >>
> >> Enjoy the new release,
> >> Pasi
> >>
> > This was discussed and we decided we really like our own
> > #xubuntu-offtopic channel. We will not be deactivating it.
> >
> Can you point me to the logs/mailing list archive where that discussion
> has been at? I'd like to read some of the arguments both for and against
> the #xubuntu-offtopic channel, and try to rethink the issue against the
> current situation with those notes.
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi

There is no issue. The use of the channel does not dramatically
increase anyone's workload, and removing it will not actually decrease
any workload. It is there for non-support topics, and there is no
reason to remove the channel simply to tell users go to
#ubuntu-offtopic.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Charlie Kravetz 04-29-2011 10:51 PM

Deactivate #xubuntu-offtopic for now

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:59:49 +0300
Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:

> On 04/30/2011 12:56 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:14:53 +0300
> > Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> >
> >> As I suggested today in the developer IRC channel, I think we should
> >> drop #xubuntu-offtopic for now. #xubuntu is quite relaxed already, and
> >> it feels like hitting your face in the wall when telling people to join
> >> the (almost) dead #xubuntu-offtopic.
> >>
> >> Since the activity in #xubuntu is not huge, we might want to allow more
> >> random chat in there, to attract more people. Of course, random chat
> >> should be kept minimal when someone has a support issue, but based on my
> >> experiences, it's really not a problem with the amount of activity we
> >> are having.
> >>
> >> While we would allow more random chatter, we should have at least some
> >> lousyish guidelines on what is acceptable - maybe let the discussion
> >> flow as long as it relates at least somehow to Xubuntu, or any of the
> >> issues solved etc.

The guidelines we use may be relaxed as opposed to #ubuntu, however,
they are written down. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/Guidelines are the
guidelines used by #ubuntu, #xubuntu, and #kubuntu channels.

--
Charlie Kravetz