-   -   Attracting new contributors via blog articles (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/520058-attracting-new-contributors-via-blog-articles.html)

Pasi Lallinaho 04-29-2011 09:30 PM

Attracting new contributors via blog articles

While we are still waiting to get our hands dirty with the new website,
I think we should look towards the future already.

We are migrating to WordPress, which will amongst other things, give us
much freedom and choice in writing blog articles, and categorize them
easily.

In addition to the monthly or bi-weekly developer blog articles we
really should start writing articles that offer and describe some of the
"low-hanging fruit" jobs we have available in the community. For
example, we could write something like this:

Want to be a Xubuntu website editor?

Collaborate with the developer community to write news articles
and other current topics. Update the Xubuntu website and gain experience
on how to work in an open source community. Make a difference on how
Xubuntu is presented to people. Places open now. No previous experience
needed. Mentoring available. Read more at http://xubuntu.org/contribute/.

Well obviously we need to do the website editing, even with these
articles, ourself before we get a website editor (or Vincent wakes up
from his daydreams ;)), but I think it is worth the effort. Just come up
with a nice title for a small task, and make people believe it is a task
worth doing, and that they can benefit from the task them self.

Again, any input is welcome.

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org/

Vincent 05-01-2011 01:51 PM

[...]

You can consider me hibernating :) It's just a coincidence that I read this email, but I haven't really been able to keep up with my emails lately, let alone reading mailinglists and the like...

That said, I was just a day late in checking whether there had to be a release announcement, luckily by then it had been posted :P
*

but I think it is worth the effort. Just come up

with a nice title for a small task, and make people believe it is a task

worth doing, and that they can benefit from the task them self.

Again, any input is welcome.

Cheers,

Pasi

--