Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Ideas for Xubuntu Oneiric Ocelot

In the interests of getting us going with the development of Xubuntu
Oneiric, I am giving a list of some goals we should consider. Feel free
to add to this list:

lightdm - This will be a topic for UDS for Ubuntu, possibly to be used
in place of GDM, which would help us.

Artwork and Themes - improve what we have in Xubuntu 11.04. This is a
great wallpaper and theme. Perhaps we can do some fine-tuning.

midori - This does have the capability to import bookmarks now. I do
not know how well it works with multiple tabs.

pastebinit - even though this is a command line application, we
recommend it in #xubuntu. It would be great to have it already
installed for the user.

pavucontrol - Audio controls for pulse audio. Installation of this
resolves about 90% of the user audio/sound issues.

This is by no means a complete list of things we have to do. It is
merely suggestions, to be looked into. If anyone has anything else we
want to look at, let's get it added. The earlier we can look into
stuff, the further ahead we get trying to make the release happen.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Project Lead

Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Larry Cafiero

Charlie --

Just an unsolicited observation from a long-time Xubuntu user, but one
who (sadly) wishes he had more time to contribute to the success
everyone here has garnered with this excellent distro.

I haven't even downloaded Natty, and you're already talking Oneric the
day after Natty is released?

You guys rock. Keep up the great work.

Larry Cafiero

Old 04-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 04/29/2011 09:37 PM, Larry Cafiero wrote:
> Charlie --
>
> Just an unsolicited observation from a long-time Xubuntu user, but one
> who (sadly) wishes he had more time to contribute to the success
> everyone here has garnered with this excellent distro.
Feel free to follow and also step up and contribute whenever you feel
like it, even if it was a tiny bit.
> I haven't even downloaded Natty, and you're already talking Oneric the
> day after Natty is released?
That's how it is in the open source community. Natty is now released and
Oneiric is the main focus now. It is not only a few days when there are
freezes for the release, so you need to start working on changes as soon
as possible. On the other hand, some of these items are something we've
thought for many releases already, and maybe we'll get one of them done
with each release, so it's not too bizarre to dream about those.
> You guys rock. Keep up the great work.
Thanks.
> Larry Cafiero
>
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
>> In the interests of getting us going with the development of Xubuntu
>> Oneiric, I am giving a list of some goals we should consider. Feel free
>> to add to this list:
>>
>> lightdm - This will be a topic for UDS for Ubuntu, possibly to be used
>> in place of GDM, which would help us.
If Ubuntu decides to switch to lightdm, it is self-evident that we
will/should follow. However, even if Ubuntu wanted to keep GDM, I agree
that we should investigate lightdm once again to see if it's stable
enough to use.
>> Artwork and Themes - improve what we have in Xubuntu 11.04. This is a
>> great wallpaper and theme. Perhaps we can do some fine-tuning.
I'm sure the theme will get some fine-tuning. We've found a tiny bug in
it already...

On a sidenote, we are also going to give Albatross a facelift, so maybe
we can tell we have two (or three) themes that could be considered as
'main options' in Oneiric.
>> midori - This does have the capability to import bookmarks now. I do
>> not know how well it works with multiple tabs.
Stableness is also very important with a web browser, so I think this
will need quite a lot of testing.

While we are at the web applications, we might as well reconsider
Thunderbird if Firefox is going to be dumped. Alternatives include
Claws-mail and Postler (which I personally didn't like at first try, but
you never know...)
>> pastebinit - even though this is a command line application, we
>> recommend it in #xubuntu. It would be great to have it already
>> installed for the user.
>>
>> pavucontrol - Audio controls for pulse audio. Installation of this
>> resolves about 90% of the user audio/sound issues.
I agree on both pastebinit and pavucontrol. It is just a pain to tell so
many users in #xubuntu to install pavucontrol. I don't know where we are
recommending pastebinit (or if that was just a personal preference to
recommend it), but I agree that it would simplify giving user support.
>> This is by no means a complete list of things we have to do. It is
>> merely suggestions, to be looked into. If anyone has anything else we
>> want to look at, let's get it added. The earlier we can look into
>> stuff, the further ahead we get trying to make the release happen.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie Kravetz
>> Xubuntu Project Lead
>> Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
>> Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]
>>
>> --

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Glenn de Groot

Hello everyone,
great to see work on Oneiric is already getting started. I still have some ideas, here are a few:
-Replace Gimp with Mtpaint/rgbpaint or ShotwellGimp just takes a lot of space and is too advanced for the average user.I think following Ubuntu by picking Shotwell is the best idea.
-Replace Vinagre with RemminaRemmina is smaller and supports more protocols.
-Replace Gcalctool with GalculatorGalculator is 1 mb smaller and they are both easy to use.
I hope you guys like my ideas and share yours as well.
-Glenn

Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 04/30/2011 12:47 AM, Glenn de Groot wrote:

Hello everyone,

great to see work on Oneiric is already getting started.
I still have some ideas, here are a few:

-Replace Gimp with Mtpaint/rgbpaint or Shotwell
Gimp just takes a lot of space and is too advanced for the
average user.
I think following Ubuntu by picking Shotwell is the best
idea.

This is a hard one. Apparently many people love that we ship Gimp as
default, even if it is advanced. (Also, many became angry with the
Ubuntu move to Shotwell.) Making most of the people happy with our
default application choices shouldn't be the main concern here
naturally, but on the other hand, we are still building the
distribution for the people, and if 90% them starts to cry if we
don't ship Gimp in the default set... Then maybe we should just keep
it.

I've never used any of the other, so I don't really know how
advanced/limited those are, but I think that is the main point here.
If they are about right on the features for the average users, I
think they could be seriously thought as alternatives for the
default image editing software. If the features in those are too
advanced as well, I think we need to start doing benchmarks and see
if there is a notable performance difference between Gimp and the
others.

-Replace Vinagre with Remmina
Remmina is smaller and supports more protocols.

I will try Remmina in the following days and post you some thoughts
(if I remember to do that :P).

-Replace Gcalctool with Galculator
Galculator is 1 mb smaller and they are both easy to use.

Okay for me.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:31:41 -0600
Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> In the interests of getting us going with the development of Xubuntu
> Oneiric, I am giving a list of some goals we should consider. Feel free
> to add to this list:
>
> lightdm - This will be a topic for UDS for Ubuntu, possibly to be used
> in place of GDM, which would help us.
>
> Artwork and Themes - improve what we have in Xubuntu 11.04. This is a
> great wallpaper and theme. Perhaps we can do some fine-tuning.
>
> midori - This does have the capability to import bookmarks now. I do
> not know how well it works with multiple tabs.
>
> pastebinit - even though this is a command line application, we
> recommend it in #xubuntu. It would be great to have it already
> installed for the user.
>
> pavucontrol - Audio controls for pulse audio. Installation of this
> resolves about 90% of the user audio/sound issues.
>
> This is by no means a complete list of things we have to do. It is
> merely suggestions, to be looked into. If anyone has anything else we
> want to look at, let's get it added. The earlier we can look into
> stuff, the further ahead we get trying to make the release happen.

For those who are not aware, there is an ongoing discussion happening
on the ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list concerning Chromium vs Firefox.
The start of the discussion can be seen at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2011-May/012626.html ,
and by clicking the links, you can follow this discussion.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 1 May 2011 13:10:19 -0600
Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:31:41 -0600
> Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
>
> > In the interests of getting us going with the development of Xubuntu
> > Oneiric, I am giving a list of some goals we should consider. Feel free
> > to add to this list:
> >
> > lightdm - This will be a topic for UDS for Ubuntu, possibly to be used
> > in place of GDM, which would help us.

lightDM has been adopted by Ubuntu at UDS, and will be replacing GDM in
Xubuntu as well.

> > Artwork and Themes - improve what we have in Xubuntu 11.04. This is a
> > great wallpaper and theme. Perhaps we can do some fine-tuning.
> >
> > midori - This does have the capability to import bookmarks now. I do
> > not know how well it works with multiple tabs.

We should investigate the possiblity of having both firefox and midori
installed by default. This would give our users more choice, and
provide more testing of midori during the Xubuntu 11.10 cycle.

> > pastebinit - even though this is a command line application, we
> > recommend it in #xubuntu. It would be great to have it already
> > installed for the user.

pastebinit will be added to the default installation, but not included
on the CD as part of the live image.

> > pavucontrol - Audio controls for pulse audio. Installation of this
> > resolves about 90% of the user audio/sound issues.

I still think this should also be added to the default installation.
Any comments? Is this a gui application?

> > This is by no means a complete list of things we have to do. It is
> > merely suggestions, to be looked into. If anyone has anything else we
> > want to look at, let's get it added. The earlier we can look into
> > stuff, the further ahead we get trying to make the release happen.
> >

> For those who are not aware, there is an ongoing discussion happening
> on the ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list concerning Chromium vs Firefox.
> The start of the discussion can be seen at
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2011-May/012626.html ,
> and by clicking the links, you can follow this discussion.

Any other ideas we might want to pursue?

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 06-04-2011, 06:40 AM
John Alfred Nathanael Chee

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 18:15, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
>> > pavucontrol - Audio controls for pulse audio. Installation of this
>> > resolves about 90% of the user audio/sound issues.
>
> I still think this should also be added to the default installation.
> Any comments? Is this a gui application?

I agree that it should be added to the default installation. The only
downside that comes to mind is that it exposes a more complex (and
definitely more powerful) interface to the user. And yes it's a gui
application.

--
Love in Jesus Christ, John Alfred Nathanael Chee
http://www.biblegateway.com/

Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Maik Adamietz

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

Any other ideas we might want to pursue?

Is it possible to include a small cd import/ripping tool like Asunder (which works great in and is recommended for Xfce) in the upcoming 11.10 release? gMusicbrowser, which i still try to figure out and think is great, can't import cd so it would be nice to have such a tool on board OOTB.
Just an idea.
--
Maik

W.A.T.G.