Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-02-24 minutes

= 2011-02-24 Meeting Minutes =

== Old Business ==

* Old business
* Xubuntu marketing plans - carried forward
* shimmer project to move items pertaining to Xubuntu to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu - Done
* We need to start either a ML item or webpage item for marketing -
Done
* knome is working hard on this very topic, and his efforts are very
much appreciated
* We now have a wiki page going, even if the wiki is hard to work
with at this time. It is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Marketing
* ochosi and mr_pouit will change panel launchers to generic icons -
Done
* ochosi and knome will put together some logo designs to be discussed
as the menu icon - carried forward
* ask knome to do some drafts with a grey background and a black
background - carried forward
* knome is to set up a tele-conference of some type to discuss
marketing - carried forward
* we need someone to update the slideshows displayed during the
installation, they are badly outdated (they were made for karmic or
lucid) - carried forward == Team updates ==

=== Packaging & Development ===

* More syncs from debian experimental
* Fixed xfce4-indicator-plugin to work with nm-applet and transmission
(might be worth adding it by default to the panel, feedback welcome).
* Fixed xfce4-notes-plugin to allow smooth upgrades (it won't be
removed from the panel when upgrading to 4.8).
* Patched update-manager to be able to restart without gnome-session
(https://launchpad.net/bugs/530161).
* micahg packaged and uploaded gmusicbrowser 1.1.6. (had some help
from quadrispro with gmusicbrowser)
* [ACTION] add xfce4-indicator-plugin to panel
* remove cpugraph

=== Bug Triage & Testing ===

* we are testing starting tuesday for alpha3.
* We need some testers and a new testing lead, if anyone is interested
* We need to have some more people looking at Natty, so we can get the
feedback to mr_pouit and ochosi in time for any changes needed.
* We discussed bug reporting for Natty Narwhal. The number of bugs
being reported seems to be quite low, compared to previous releases.
=== Website & Marketing ===

* Suggestion from ochosi - it would be great if the first page would
show the slideshow that is shown during installation.
* canonical will be setting up a wordpress test install for us!
* Added knome and pleia2 to the ~xubuntu-website team so we're all set
to put a theme in there once we're ready (canonical will pull from
bzr)
* Give ochosi his own account on the drupal install so he can post
news articles

=== Artwork ===

* alpha3 will have all the artwork and theme changes

== Discussion - Remote Desktop Viewer (Vinegrae) ==

* It was decided that this could be dropped if space is needed on the
CD. It is a nice addition to the menu for the users that do need it.

== Discussion - PowerPC and Armel builds for Xubuntu ==

* If no objections are received, PowerPC builds will be discontinued
as of Natty Narwhal Alpha3.
* Xubuntu has no PPC developers or testers, and requests have
resulted in no responses.
* micahg got the ok to ISO test arm

== Any Other Business ==

* We don't have the desktop switcher in natty
* put workspace switcher back in the current configuration for natty
* Next meeting is in one week, March 3, #ubuntu-meeting, at 19:00 UTC.
*Meeting logs and minutes are available at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings/Archive/Minutes/2011-02-24
* proposal we take up the strategy document starting in three weeks, a
bit at a time, the meeting of March 10.

== Action items for the 2011-02-24 meeting ==

* add xfce4-indicator-plugin to panel
* put workspace switcher back in the current configuration for natty

== Carried Forward ==

Please see the meeting logs for
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Xubuntu_2010-01-10

=== Xubuntu Governance ===

* The governancy part of the current Strategy Document can be found at
[[Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu Governance & Team Structure]]
* The Xubuntu project will advance towards a Council-based governance
approach.

=== The Xubuntu Council ===

* The Council size should be 5 members, with one of them being the PL.
* PL will have a vote in every voting in the Council, not just as a
tie-breaker.
* The 4 members in the Council in addition to the PL should be
selected by the existing Xubuntu Contributors.
* The appropriate Team Lead can be the tiebreaker in a vote, but only
if PL is absent.
* The council should *aim* to have balanced membership across the
different aspects/teams of Xubuntu.
* The council should be named/selected after every LTS release. Thus,
every season lasts for 2 years.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Project Lead

Old 02-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Jarno Suni

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> = 2011-02-24 Meeting Minutes =

> === Packaging & Development ===
>
> ** More syncs from debian experimental
> ** Fixed xfce4-indicator-plugin to work with nm-applet and transmission
> * (might be worth adding it by default to the panel, feedback welcome).
> ** Fixed xfce4-notes-plugin to allow smooth upgrades (it won't be
> * removed from the panel when upgrading to 4.8).
> ** Patched update-manager to be able to restart without gnome-session
> * (https://launchpad.net/bugs/530161).
> ** micahg packaged and uploaded gmusicbrowser 1.1.6. (had some help
> * from quadrispro with gmusicbrowser)
> ** [ACTION] add xfce4-indicator-plugin to panel
> ** remove cpugraph

Why do you want to remove cpugraph?

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:20:47 +0200
Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> > = 2011-02-24 Meeting Minutes =
>
> > === Packaging & Development ===
> >
> > ** More syncs from debian experimental
> > ** Fixed xfce4-indicator-plugin to work with nm-applet and transmission
> > * (might be worth adding it by default to the panel, feedback welcome).
> > ** Fixed xfce4-notes-plugin to allow smooth upgrades (it won't be
> > * removed from the panel when upgrading to 4.8).
> > ** Patched update-manager to be able to restart without gnome-session
> > * (https://launchpad.net/bugs/530161).
> > ** micahg packaged and uploaded gmusicbrowser 1.1.6. (had some help
> > * from quadrispro with gmusicbrowser)
> > ** [ACTION] add xfce4-indicator-plugin to panel
> > ** remove cpugraph
>
> Why do you want to remove cpugraph?

Because it is disturbing to see the panel all of sudden have lines
moving on it. The background matches the panel, and there is no
indication of what those dashes are that suddenly appear and disappear.
Those who use cpugraph are welcome to put it back in the panel, but the
space would be better utilized by the workspace switcher, a recognized
panel plugin.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Project Lead

Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Jarno Suni

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:20:47 +0200
> Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Charlie Kravetz
>> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
>> > = 2011-02-24 Meeting Minutes =
>>
>> > === Packaging & Development ===
>> >
>> > ** More syncs from debian experimental
>> > ** Fixed xfce4-indicator-plugin to work with nm-applet and transmission
>> > * (might be worth adding it by default to the panel, feedback welcome).
>> > ** Fixed xfce4-notes-plugin to allow smooth upgrades (it won't be
>> > * removed from the panel when upgrading to 4.8).
>> > ** Patched update-manager to be able to restart without gnome-session
>> > * (https://launchpad.net/bugs/530161).
>> > ** micahg packaged and uploaded gmusicbrowser 1.1.6. (had some help
>> > * from quadrispro with gmusicbrowser)
>> > ** [ACTION] add xfce4-indicator-plugin to panel
>> > ** remove cpugraph
>>
>> Why do you want to remove cpugraph?
>>

> Because it is disturbing to see the panel all of sudden have lines
> moving on it. The background matches the panel, and there is no
> indication of what those dashes are that suddenly appear and disappear.
> Those who use cpugraph are welcome to put it back in the panel, but the
> space would be better utilized by the workspace switcher, a recognized
> panel plugin.

cpugraph's width and colors are configurable. cpugraph has never been
added to panel by default, as far as I know. Alternatively, people can
use System load monitor panel plugin.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 02-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:52:48 +0200
Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:20:47 +0200
> > Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Why do you want to remove cpugraph?
> >>

> > Because it is disturbing to see the panel all of sudden have lines
> > moving on it. The background matches the panel, and there is no
> > indication of what those dashes are that suddenly appear and disappear.
> > Those who use cpugraph are welcome to put it back in the panel, but the
> > space would be better utilized by the workspace switcher, a recognized
> > panel plugin.
>
> cpugraph's width and colors are configurable. cpugraph has never been
> added to panel by default, as far as I know. Alternatively, people can
> use System load monitor panel plugin.

Please feel free to attend the weekly community meeting, where this
very subject was discussed. We hold our meeting every Thursday at 19:00
UTC in #ubuntu-meeting and allow all attendees to voice their opinions.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Lionel Le Folgoc

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 03:52:48PM +0200, Jarno Suni wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:20:47 +0200
> > Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Why do you want to remove cpugraph?
> >>

> > Because it is disturbing to see the panel all of sudden have lines
> > moving on it. The background matches the panel, and there is no
> > indication of what those dashes are that suddenly appear and disappear.
> > Those who use cpugraph are welcome to put it back in the panel, but the
> > space would be better utilized by the workspace switcher, a recognized
> > panel plugin.
>
> cpugraph's width and colors are configurable. cpugraph has never been
> added to panel by default, as far as I know. Alternatively, people can
> use System load monitor panel plugin.

Yes, it's configurable. Yes, cpugraph was in the default panel config in
natty (it was removed a few days ago).
To ensure there's no misunderstanding, we were speaking about removing
it from the default panel config, not from the archive. It's still in
the available packages.

Regards,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A