-   -   Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-02-03 minutes (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/484882-xubuntu-community-meeting-2011-02-03-minutes.html)

Charlie Kravetz 02-03-2011 09:22 PM

Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-02-03 minutes

= 2011-02-03 Meeting Minutes =

== Old Business ==

* Old business - all
* Xubuntu marketing plans - carried forward
* We need to start webpage item for marketing

== Team updates ==

=== Packaging & Development ===

* Xfce4.8.1 has a few package updates. all the 4.8.1 packages are
mainly bug fixes.
* We do not have an official PPA for Xfce4.8 to add it to Xubuntu
10.10 or 10.04. The individual ppa's available are unofficial by
people not associated with Xubuntu or Xfce

=== Bug Triage & Testing ===

* We have kept the number of new bugs level this week.
* Testing of the Natty Alpha2 images went great!
* Thanks to knome and j1mc for helping with it
* thunderbird-locales in lucid-proposed passed verification,
maverick-proposed still needs testing
* Firefox 3.6.14 (Hardy-Maverick) and Thunderbird 3.1.8 (Lucid and
Maverick) are available here for testing:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ppa, they'll
be released next week when Mozilla releases if there are no issues

=== Website & Marketing ===

* Suggestion from ochosi - it would be great if the first page would
show the slideshow that is shown during installation.

=== Artwork ===

* The proposed generic icons for default apps in xubuntu are now being
discussed.
* An incomplete icon list is
http://wiki.knome.fi/xubuntu:generic_app_icons , inputs are welcome.
* Some of the icons in Elementary have been taken from Humanity,
mostly copied over.. and if just copied over, they should be
attributed ;)
* we now a a list of what is happening with gmusicbrowser at
http://wiki.knome.fi/xubuntu:natty_gmb

== Updates for Xubuntu 10.04.2 ==

* We will be testing the images for 10.04.2 February 15
* We have documentation that is actually for 10.04

== Discuss default applications to be used in Natty ==

* gmusicbrowser will replace exaile
* Grab the gmusicbrowser from the ppa for testing. It is greatly
improved over the repositories
* https://launchpad.net/~shimmerproject/+archive/ppa
* does shimmer gmb theme work on small screens now?
* firefox will remain the default browser
* thunderbird will remoain the default mail client
* still to be decided - lightdm to replace gdm

== Announcements ==

* Natty Narwhal Alpha2 will release today

== Any Other Business ==

* Next meeting is in one week, Frebruary 10, #ubuntu-meeting, at 19:00
UTC.
*
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings/Archive/Minutes/2011-02-03
| Meeting log]]

== Action items for the 2011-02-03 meeting ==

* thunderbird-locales needs testing in lucid-proposed
* Launchpad bug 705028 in thunderbird-locales (Ubuntu Natty) "Update
Thunderbird translations to 3.1.7" [Wishlist,Triaged]
https://launchpad.net/bugs/705028
* discussion about generic icons to replace existing brand icons needs
to be on ML

- --
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Project Lead

Charlie Kravetz 02-03-2011 09:22 PM

Pasi Lallinaho 02-04-2011 07:48 AM

On 02/04/2011 12:22 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> = 2011-02-03 Meeting Minutes =
>
> == Old Business ==
>
> * Old business - all
> * Xubuntu marketing plans - carried forward
> * We need to start webpage item for marketing
>
> == Team updates ==
>
> === Packaging & Development ===
>
> * Xfce4.8.1 has a few package updates. all the 4.8.1 packages are
> mainly bug fixes.
> * We do not have an official PPA for Xfce4.8 to add it to Xubuntu
> 10.10 or 10.04. The individual ppa's available are unofficial by
> people not associated with Xubuntu or Xfce
>
> === Bug Triage & Testing ===
>
> * We have kept the number of new bugs level this week.
> * Testing of the Natty Alpha2 images went great!
> * Thanks to knome and j1mc for helping with it
> * thunderbird-locales in lucid-proposed passed verification,
> maverick-proposed still needs testing
> * Firefox 3.6.14 (Hardy-Maverick) and Thunderbird 3.1.8 (Lucid and
> Maverick) are available here for testing:
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ppa, they'll
> be released next week when Mozilla releases if there are no issues
>
> === Website & Marketing ===
>
> * Suggestion from ochosi - it would be great if the first page would
> show the slideshow that is shown during installation.
>
> === Artwork ===
>
> * The proposed generic icons for default apps in xubuntu are now being
> discussed.
> * An incomplete icon list is
> http://wiki.knome.fi/xubuntu:generic_app_icons , inputs are welcome.
> * Some of the icons in Elementary have been taken from Humanity,
> mostly copied over.. and if just copied over, they should be
> attributed ;)
> * we now a a list of what is happening with gmusicbrowser at
> http://wiki.knome.fi/xubuntu:natty_gmb
>
> == Updates for Xubuntu 10.04.2 ==
>
> * We will be testing the images for 10.04.2 February 15
> * We have documentation that is actually for 10.04
>
> == Discuss default applications to be used in Natty ==
>
> * gmusicbrowser will replace exaile
> * Grab the gmusicbrowser from the ppa for testing. It is greatly
> improved over the repositories
> * https://launchpad.net/~shimmerproject/+archive/ppa
> * does shimmer gmb theme work on small screens now?
We are working on a new layout, which uses pretty much the same elements
as the current one, but which is better for netbooks etc.

--
Pasi Lallinaho http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org/

Vincent 02-05-2011 03:19 PM

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

[...]

Where is that slideshow and what format is it in? This might be possible using a third-party slideshow webservice, I suppose.
*

[...]

**

* [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings/Archive/Minutes/2011-02-03

* | Meeting log]]

== Action items for the 2011-02-03 meeting ==

** thunderbird-locales needs testing in lucid-proposed

** Launchpad bug 705028 in thunderbird-locales (Ubuntu Natty) "Update

* Thunderbird translations to 3.1.7" [Wishlist,Triaged]

* https://launchpad.net/bugs/705028

** discussion about generic icons to replace existing brand icons needs

* to be on ML

- --

Charlie Kravetz

Xubuntu Project Lead

Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

Vincent

Charlie Kravetz 02-19-2011 07:04 PM

Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-02-03 minutes

= 2011-02-10 Meeting Minutes =

== Old Business ==

* Old business - all
* Xubuntu marketing plans - carried forward
* We need to start either a ML item or webpage item for marketing

== Team updates ==

=== Packaging & Development ===

* A few syncs/merges from debian experimental (now that squeeze is
released, xfce 4.8 is being uploaded)
* Some bugfixes on xubuntu-default-settings, and a few patches
submitted upstream to fix some minor issues
* Natty deadline for any updates is Feb 24th for non-bugfix

=== Bug Triage & Testing ===

* We tested and released Natty Narwhal Alpha2! Great job, and many
thanks to everybody that helped

=== Website & Marketing ===

* Suggestion from ochosi - it would be great if the first page would
show the slideshow that is shown during installation.
* Template for new website design:
http://temp.knome.fi/xubuntu/xubuntu1104c.png
* the idea is to go with the new branding, and in general make the
intro page simple and clean
* it was also suggested that we make the news items more interesting,
get more creative with something like "alpha 3 released - now with
shiny chromium theme!"
* ochosi to write an article about artwork due for news on website

=== Artwork ===

* ochosi has been working pretty hard lately to make the resize-grip
less obnoxious
* ochosi and knome will put together some logo designs to be discussed
as the menu icon
* The proposed generic icons for default apps in xubuntu are now being
discussed.
* [VOTE] This is to determine use of a generic icon in the launchers,
while keeping the brand icon in the menu
* 4 for, 2 against, motion carried to use generic icons
* [ACTION] ochosi and mr_pouit will change panel launchers to generic
icons
* if we have dropped the word "Applications" from the menu, we need to
update the docs again

== Updates for Xubuntu 10.04.2 ==

* We will be testing the images for 10.04.2 February 15

== Announcements ==

* Natty Narwhal Alpha2 will release today

== Any Other Business ==

* hunderbird-locales still needs testing in maverick-proposed if
anyone had time
* Next meeting is in one week, Frebruary 17, #ubuntu-meeting, at 19:00
UTC.
*
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings/Archive/Minutes/2011-02-10
| Meeting log]]

== Action items for the 2011-02-10 meeting ==

* ochosi and knome will put together some logo designs to be discussed
as the menu icon
* ochosi and mr_pouit will change panel launchers to generic icons
* ochosi to write an article about artwork due for news on website

== Carried Forward ==

Please see the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Xubuntu_2010-01-10
| previous log]]

=== Xubuntu Governance ===

* The governancy part of the current Strategy Document can be found at
[[Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu Governance & Team Structure]]
* The Xubuntu project will advance towards a Council-based governance
approach.

=== The Xubuntu Council ===

* The Council size should be 5 members, with one of them being the PL.
* PL will have a vote in every voting in the Council, not just as a
tie-breaker.
* The 4 members in the Council in addition to the PL should be
selected by the existing Xubuntu Contributors.
* The appropriate Team Lead can be the tiebreaker in a vote, but only
if PL is absent.
* The council should *aim* to have balanced membership across the
different aspects/teams of Xubuntu.
* The council should be named/selected after every LTS release. Thus,
every season lasts for 2 years.

- --
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Project Lead