Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default LightDM to replace GDM

Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Simon Steinbei

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:08:39 -0700
Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> Thought and opinions on replacing GDM?

We're not the only ones considering an early move to LightDM (and I'm
not talking about Ubuntu here, who seem to be planning this for 11.10),
the Lubuntu guys are planning to test LightDM in the alpha to be able
to replace it later if too many problems show up in the beta.
See this as reference: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Meetings/20101201

I would really appreciate some common effort here, maybe we can get
this ready together for 11.04

Simon

Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Micah Gersten

On 01/25/2011 01:08 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> There is a new application available for Natty, called lightdm. This is
> a written from scratch application to replace GDM, the current default
> display manager(what many of us non-developers know as the login
> screen). lightdm is new, and may have bugs.
>
> We would like feedback on replacing gdm with lightdm for Natty, knowing
> it may still have a few issues. GDM is hard to theme, and not real user
> friendly in Xubuntu now. The developer of lightdm is very willing to
> work with us on features desired and getting bugs fixed.
>
> From a user viewpoint, I installed lightdm in place of gdm using natty
> in VirtualBox. It worked nicely. More testing would be required, of
> couse.
>
> Thought and opinions on replacing GDM?

This seems like an easy win in terms of performance for Xubuntu without
much sacrifice. My only question is whether or not the login screen
will be configurable like GDM used to be (and still can be if you
manually edit the settings).

Thanks,
Micah

Old 02-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 12:50:49PM -0600, Micah Gersten wrote:
> On 01/25/2011 01:08 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > There is a new application available for Natty, called lightdm. This is
> > a written from scratch application to replace GDM, the current default
> > display manager(what many of us non-developers know as the login
> > screen). lightdm is new, and may have bugs.
> >
> > We would like feedback on replacing gdm with lightdm for Natty, knowing
> > it may still have a few issues. GDM is hard to theme, and not real user
> > friendly in Xubuntu now. The developer of lightdm is very willing to
> > work with us on features desired and getting bugs fixed.
> >
> > From a user viewpoint, I installed lightdm in place of gdm using natty
> > in VirtualBox. It worked nicely. More testing would be required, of
> > couse.
> >
> > Thought and opinions on replacing GDM?
> >

> This seems like an easy win in terms of performance for Xubuntu without
> much sacrifice. My only question is whether or not the login screen
> will be configurable like GDM used to be (and still can be if you
> manually edit the settings).
>
> Thanks,
> Micah

(I only made quick tests in a virtual machine a few days/weeks ago…)

Currently, there are two themes engines: webkit and gtk. I didn't try
with webkit, but with gtk, I only had to create two text files, add a
background picture, and that was it.

There is also a single config file (/etc/lightdm.conf iirc) to set the
theme and other settings. It's probably as easy as the "old" gdm was.
However, there is no dialog to edit the settings (yet?).

Best,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A

Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 02/02/2011 09:35 PM, Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 12:50:49PM -0600, Micah Gersten wrote:
>> On 01/25/2011 01:08 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>>> There is a new application available for Natty, called lightdm. This is
>>> a written from scratch application to replace GDM, the current default
>>> display manager(what many of us non-developers know as the login
>>> screen). lightdm is new, and may have bugs.
>>>
>>> We would like feedback on replacing gdm with lightdm for Natty, knowing
>>> it may still have a few issues. GDM is hard to theme, and not real user
>>> friendly in Xubuntu now. The developer of lightdm is very willing to
>>> work with us on features desired and getting bugs fixed.
>>>
>>> From a user viewpoint, I installed lightdm in place of gdm using natty
>>> in VirtualBox. It worked nicely. More testing would be required, of
>>> couse.
>>>
>>> Thought and opinions on replacing GDM?
>>>

>> This seems like an easy win in terms of performance for Xubuntu without
>> much sacrifice. My only question is whether or not the login screen
>> will be configurable like GDM used to be (and still can be if you
>> manually edit the settings).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Micah
>>
> (I only made quick tests in a virtual machine a few days/weeks ago…)
>
> Currently, there are two themes engines: webkit and gtk. I didn't try
> with webkit, but with gtk, I only had to create two text files, add a
> background picture, and that was it.
>
> There is also a single config file (/etc/lightdm.conf iirc) to set the
> theme and other settings. It's probably as easy as the "old" gdm was.
> However, there is no dialog to edit the settings (yet?).
>
> Best,
> Lionel

As this (switch from GDM) has been discussed for releases, I don't know
what is it why the switch shouldn't be made.

I do wholeheartedly think we should switch, since there is not any
bug/lack of feature that is a showstopper. Natty is not LTS, and even if
LightDM did break in a way or another, it's still okay. Things happen.
At least we got testing from a broad audience.

Those who want to edit their login screen, can probably edit a text
file. If not, they probably shouldn't tweak the settings anyway.

-p

--
Pasi Lallinaho » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project » http://shimmerproject.org/