Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Default Launchers for Natty Narwhal

Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Phil Whitaker

How about Exaile / default music player, Terminal & Gimp?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 PM
John Alfred Nathanael Chee

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 15:14, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> To start with, I think we should have have a launcher for the
> web-browser, email client, Abiword, Thunar (places if it exists), and
> Application Finder.
>
> This is open to discussion, and we would like to know what others
> think.

I haven't checked out an image of Natty but these are my thoughts:

Web browser, Thunar (home folder), and a help icon. The help icon
would spawn a web browser window pointing to a page (online or
offline) with step by step (ideally with screen shots) instructions on
how to add new launchers to the panel.

--
Love in Jesus Christ, John Alfred Nathanael Chee
http://www.biblegateway.com/

Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 01/19/2011 01:18 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:52:16 -0800
> John Alfred Nathanael Chee <cheecheeo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 15:14, Charlie Kravetz
> > <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> >> To start with, I think we should have have a launcher for the
> >> web-browser, email client, Abiword, Thunar (places if it exists), and
> >> Application Finder.
> >>
> >> This is open to discussion, and we would like to know what others
> >> think.
>
> > I haven't checked out an image of Natty but these are my thoughts:
>
> > Web browser, Thunar (home folder), and a help icon. The help icon
> > would spawn a web browser window pointing to a page (online or
> > offline) with step by step (ideally with screen shots) instructions on
> > how to add new launchers to the panel.
>

> Natty only:
> Think simplified now. To add a launcher to the desktop, drag it from
> the menu and name it. To add a launcher to the panel,
> open /usr/share/applications in Thunar, right-click the menu item you
> want on the panel, left-click "Open with...", left-click create
> launcher on panel.

To be honest, I still think a lot of people need help with "Open
/usr/share/applications" and finding the correct application...
--
Pasi Lallinaho http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Jarno Suni

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> On 01/19/2011 01:18 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:52:16 -0800
>> John Alfred Nathanael Chee <cheecheeo@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I haven't checked out an image of Natty but these are my thoughts:
>>
>> > Web browser, Thunar (home folder), and a help icon. The help icon
>> > would spawn a web browser window pointing to a page (online or
>> > offline) with step by step (ideally with screen shots) instructions on
>> > how to add new launchers to the panel.
>>

>> Natty only:
>> Think simplified now. To add a launcher to the desktop, drag it from
>> the menu and name it. To add a launcher to the panel,
>> open /usr/share/applications in Thunar, right-click the menu item you
>> want on the panel, left-click "Open with...", left-click create
>> launcher on panel.
>>
> To be honest, I still think a lot of people need help with "Open
> /usr/share/applications" and finding the correct application...

Yes, and what if user wants to create a launcher for some command for
which there does not exist a menu item?

I used to create launcher for guest session, that is command
/usr/share/gdm/guest-session/guest-session-launch provided that
gdm-guest-session is installed, but according to my tests on Lucid, it
does not work anymore, or at least I was unable to return from guest
session to the session from which guest session was launched from.

IMO Xubuntu's ability to save session reduces need for panels
launchers. Personally I use one panel only to get more space for
applications. Grouping would be nice default for Task list.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Jari Rahkonen

19.01.2011 01:26, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:

On 01/19/2011 01:18 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

Natty only:
Think simplified now. To add a launcher to the desktop, drag it from
the menu and name it. To add a launcher to the panel,
open /usr/share/applications in Thunar, right-click the menu item you
want on the panel, left-click "Open with...", left-click create
launcher on panel.

To be honest, I still think a lot of people need help with "Open
/usr/share/applications" and finding the correct application...

Does dragging from xfce4-appfinder work? Should be more intuitive, and
the Application Finder can be found in the menu. Plus this should work
for adding launchers to both the desktop and the panel. Doesn't work
with the 4.6 panel and I can't test this with 4.8 right now but I
remember someone writing about this on xfce4-dev.

- Jari

Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Jari Rahkonen

19.01.2011 16:05, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:54:02 +0200
Jari Rahkonen<jari.rahkonen@pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

[...]

Dragging from Application Finder does create the launcher on the panel,
but not on the desktop.

- --
Charlie Kravetz

That's funny. A regression on xfdesktop's part even. You see, on
10.10/4.6 dragging to the desktop seems to work but I think dragging to
the panel is a new feature in 4.8.

- Jari

Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Vincent

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Jari Rahkonen <jari.rahkonen@pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

[...]

I would try not to single out too many applications for the user. In fact, I think I would only add the help icon, that would give it more prominence and thus a bigger chance of being read.

As the default software selection should be a single application for each task anyway, there should be a minimum amount of applications, meaning that the only selection criteria you could apply would result in adding launchers of either zero or all applications to the panel by default.

*
- Jari

--
Vincent