Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Vincent

Default LightDM

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:

-------- Original Message --------

Subject:
LightDM

Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:18:18 +1000

From:
Robert Ancell <robert.ancell@gmail.com>

To:
xfce4-dev@xfce.org

Hi,

You may or may not be aware of my project to create a new display
manager, LightDM [1]. The project is in an alpha state where I can
run LightDM as my display manager, but it needs more work.

If you are interested, I am actively interested in supporting the XFCE
project in getting LightDM working well. I will also be proposing
LightDM for use in Ubuntu in Maverick+1 and GNOME in 3.0.

What I need from you:
- Feedback!
- Tell me what features XFCE needs.
- How to fit in with the XFCE release schedule.
- Keep bugging me until all the roadblocks are gone. You can send me
an email every day if you like with the list of bugs that are stopping
it from working in XFCE.

[1] https://launchpad.net/lightdm

Hey Robert,

I'm forwarding this message to the Xubuntu developer mailing list.
The Xubuntu team has been looking for a good alternative for GDM a long
time, and this sounds like something interesting.

Hi Robert,
From a Xubuntu point of view (as a non-developer), I'd like to stress the importance of attention to accessibility and internationalization, which are of great importance to a display manager (and traditionally to Ubuntu). (Is this perhaps already a feature due to the greeter being able to be written in GTK?)

*
Cheers,

--
Pasi Lallinaho » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project »*http://shimmerproject.org/

Best,
--
Vincent

Old 08-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Robert Ancell

From a Xubuntu point of view (as a non-developer), I'd like to stress the importance of attention to accessibility and internationalization, which are of great importance to a display manager (and traditionally to Ubuntu). (Is this perhaps already a feature due to the greeter being able to be written in GTK?)

These are all first-class requirements. �Support will be dependent on which greeter is used. �The default GTK+ greeter supports gettext translations and large font / high contrast theme. �It needs screen reader integration.

I often find there is not a lot of feedback from the i18n and a11y communities, so feel free to open bugs / email feedback, especially any novel ideas you might have.�