-   -   AptURLs don't directly open apturl in Xubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/398042-apturls-dont-directly-open-apturl-xubuntu.html)

Ryan Oram 07-12-2010 10:37 AM

AptURLs don't directly open apturl in Xubuntu

When I run "exo-open apt://foo" on Xubuntu, by default it opens the
default browser instead of AptURL. This is great if Firefox is your
default browser, as it will then open AptURL on its own. But if your
default browser is Chromium, which uses xdg-open to determine the
default application for URIs, an AptURL will just open another
instance of Chromium and no package will be installed.

I'm looking into making a website for the "Ubuntu AppUpdate" service
and was disappointed to see that Xubuntu doesn't fully support
AptURLs, at least not to the same extent as Ubuntu.

I looked into trying set exo-open manually and it looks like a fiery
undocumented hell, so I was wondering if you guys would know how to
fix this.

Thanks,
Ryan

Jim Campbell 07-12-2010 01:05 PM

AptURLs don't directly open apturl in Xubuntu

Hi,

When I run "exo-open apt://foo" on Xubuntu, by default it opens the

default browser instead of AptURL. This is great if Firefox is your

default browser, as it will then open AptURL on its own. But if your

default browser is Chromium, which uses xdg-open to determine the

default application for URIs, an AptURL will just open another

instance of Chromium and no package will be installed.

I'm looking into making a website for the "Ubuntu AppUpdate" service

and was disappointed to see that Xubuntu doesn't fully support

AptURLs, at least not to the same extent as Ubuntu.

I looked into trying set exo-open manually and it looks like a fiery

undocumented hell, so I was wondering if you guys would know how to

fix this.

Thanks,

Ryan

Just checking . . . did you also test this on Chromium on Ubuntu?* Might it be a Chromium / Firefox issue, rather than a Xubuntu / Ubuntu issue?

Jim

Ryan Oram 07-12-2010 01:28 PM

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Ryan Oram <ryanoram@trentu.ca> wrote:
>>
>> When I run "exo-open apt://foo" on Xubuntu, by default it opens the
>> default browser instead of AptURL. This is great if Firefox is your
>> default browser, as it will then open AptURL on its own. But if your
>> default browser is Chromium, which uses xdg-open to determine the
>> default application for URIs, an AptURL will just open another
>> instance of Chromium and no package will be installed.
>>
>> I'm looking into making a website for the "Ubuntu AppUpdate" service
>> and was disappointed to see that Xubuntu doesn't fully support
>> AptURLs, at least not to the same extent as Ubuntu.
>>
>> I looked into trying set exo-open manually and it looks like a fiery
>> undocumented hell, so I was wondering if you guys would know how to
>> fix this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ryan
>>

> Just checking . . . did you also test this on Chromium on Ubuntu?* Might it
> be a Chromium / Firefox issue, rather than a Xubuntu / Ubuntu issue?
>
> Jim

It works fine in Ubuntu/Gnome, as Gnome uses gnome-open to provide
xdg-open. gnome-open is setup out of the box via gconf to use apturl
for the apt:// URI. You can actually test this out on Xubuntu by
running "gnome-open apt://foo". It should bring up a message telling
you that there is no "foo" package. Doing the same with exo-open, the
Xfce mechanism for xdg-open, just brings up your default browser,
which is useless if it is Chromium.

To summarize, running "xdg-open apt://foo" on Gnome/Ubuntu brings up
the apturl application. Running "xdg-open apt://foo" on Xfce/Xubuntu
just brings up the default browser, which is incorrect behavior.

Thanks,
Ryan

Lionel Le Folgoc 07-12-2010 07:48 PM

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 06:37:00AM -0400, Ryan Oram wrote:

> I looked into trying set exo-open manually and it looks like a fiery
> undocumented hell, so I was wondering if you guys would know how to
> fix this.

That's mostly because any unrecognized URL will be opened in a web
browser. You may want to try again with exo 0.5.2 to see if it improves
the situation, otherwise you're free to propose a patch (and exo's
source code is documented… see exo-0.3.*/exo-open/main.c, and
exo_url_show_on_screen () in exo-0.3.*/exo/exo-url.c).

Regards,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A

Ryan Oram 07-12-2010 08:15 PM

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Lionel Le Folgoc <mrpouit@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's mostly because any unrecognized URL will be opened in a web
> browser. You may want to try again with exo 0.5.2 to see if it improves
> the situation, otherwise you're free to propose a patch (and exo's
> source code is documented… see exo-0.3.*/exo-open/main.c, and
> exo_url_show_on_screen () in exo-0.3.*/exo/exo-url.c).
>
> Regards,
> Lionel

Is there a configuration utility like gconf (or even a text file) for
Xfce that would allow me to set the URI handlers for exo-open manually
like I can with gnome-open? I tried Googling for more about an hour
last night and didn't find anything conclusive on my own.

Thanks,
Ryan