Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Glenn

Default Replacing GDM with LXDM

Hello,

my name is Glenn de Groot and I have been following the Xubuntu, Ubuntu
and Lubuntu projects for almost a year.
My major question always was why Xubuntu doesn´t ship with something
more lightweight than GDM.
The best replacement is LXDM, on google I have seen some information
about LXDM and Xubuntu but it wasn´t chosen because it didn´t run on Ubuntu.
Well at least now it does, it works beautifully in Lubuntu and it is
even themable:

http://blog.lxde.org/?p=595 (I think you should contact PCman for more
information)

Also, GDM needs 45 dependencies and LXDM 20.
And alot of GDM´s dependencies are gnome ones.

I hope this will be discussed for Maverick

-Glenn de Groot

Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Vincent

my name is Glenn de Groot and I have been following the Xubuntu, Ubuntu

and Lubuntu projects for almost a year.

My major question always was why Xubuntu doesn´t ship with something

more lightweight than GDM.

The best replacement is LXDM, on google I have seen some information

about LXDM and Xubuntu but it wasn´t chosen because it didn´t run on Ubuntu.

Well at least now it does, it works beautifully in Lubuntu and it is

even themable:

http://blog.lxde.org/?p=595 (I think you should contact PCman for more

information)

Also, GDM needs 45 dependencies and LXDM 20.

And alot of GDM´s dependencies are gnome ones.

I hope this will be discussed for Maverick

Hi,

This has been, and will probably be again, discussed. Both LXDM and SLIM have been considered. The summary is:

** Stuff shipping in Xubuntu should be actively maintained and updated, both the application itself and its package in the Ubuntu repositories.

** They should also be stable (as in: the developer has to have it marked as stable).
** They should qualify according to the usual inclusion criteria (see the Xubuntu Strategy Document).

Both DMs don't yet fulfil all criteria. The current situtation with GDM is really unfortunate, but the alternatives aren't great either.

*
-Glenn de Groot

Best,
--
Vincent

Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:02:51PM +0200, Vincent wrote:

> * Stuff shipping in Xubuntu should be actively maintained and updated, both
> the application itself and its package in the Ubuntu repositories.
> * They should also be stable (as in: the developer has to have it marked as
> stable).

FWIW, lxdm seems to be maintained, and is already usable in lucid (I use
it to replace gdm on a netbook).

Cheers,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A

Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Glenn

LXDM is actively maintained.
LXDM is not marked as stable but I never had an issue with it.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Steve Dodier

Hi there,