Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default xubuntu and indicator applets (Vincent)

On Wed, 26 May 2010 20:54:10 +0200
Simon Steinbeiß <simon.steinbeiss@elfenbeinturm.at> wrote:

> > I believe the original freedesktop.org specification originated in KDE, so
> > yes, it works in Kubuntu. Edubuntu is based on GNOME so it works there too.
> > Everything not GNOME or KDE is left out in the cold, I suppose. But perhaps
> > someone wants to implement the specification in a panel plugin for Xfce.
>
> I heard that the indicators work via the xfapplet-plugin, but i haven't tried because i don't want
> to install all those horrible dependencies just to try it.
>
> > Ignoring applications that use the spec will be hard, I think, because
> > Ubuntu is working to convert all applications in its repo's, which we also
> > use. Nor would I consider this tray icon such a deal-breaker that a whole
> > application is excluded in advance.

I thought the way this is being done, it becomes a choice to use the
system tray or the new menu.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Vincent

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2010 20:54:10 +0200

Simon Steinbeiß <simon.steinbeiss@elfenbeinturm.at> wrote:

> > I believe the original freedesktop.org specification originated in KDE, so

> > yes, it works in Kubuntu. Edubuntu is based on GNOME so it works there too.

> > Everything not GNOME or KDE is left out in the cold, I suppose. But perhaps

> > someone wants to implement the specification in a panel plugin for Xfce.

> I heard that the indicators work via the xfapplet-plugin, but i haven't tried because i don't want

> to install all those horrible dependencies just to try it.

> > Ignoring applications that use the spec will be hard, I think, because

> > Ubuntu is working to convert all applications in its repo's, which we also

> > use. Nor would I consider this tray icon such a deal-breaker that a whole

> > application is excluded in advance.

I thought the way this is being done, it becomes a choice to use the

system tray or the new menu.

No, as I understand it, the old system tray is still being included in Ubuntu for those apps that haven't been converted yet (so it's a choice for the app whether to use the old or new tray), but as more and more apps will be converted, the old tray will be removed. So applications that are already converted won't show up in the old system tray.

*
Using xfapplet really isn't an option, not only because of the dependencies but also because of the performance hit in general. I think the only real solutions are ignoring the problem altogether (i.e. no applications are present in the tray) or to write a panel implementation for Xfce. But then there's the problem of the small amount of developers.

--

Charlie Kravetz

Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

Best,
--
Vincent

Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Eero Tamminen

Hi,

On Monday 31 May 2010, Vincent wrote:
> No, as I understand it, the old system tray is still being included in
> Ubuntu for those apps that haven't been converted yet (so it's a choice
> for the app whether to use the old or new tray), but as more and more
> apps will be converted, the old tray will be removed.

What about setups where one wants to use desktop over remote X connection?

D-BUS connection is a unix socket...

- Eero