Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Simon Steinbeiß

Default xubuntu and indicator applets

hi everyone,
i wanted to point out an issue that might become more and more problematic with time for xubuntu:
since ubuntu is patching applications to play along nicely with its indicator applets, that breaks
consistency for those apps in xubuntu's/xfce's systray.

in general you might say that's not a big deal, but for applications that are installed/used by
default in xubuntu and that have a trayicon by default (yes, i'm looking at you, transmission) it's
quite a pain in my opinion.
(for those who don't know what i'm talking about: instead of the usual trayicon behavior which is
left-click==show/hide app and right-click==context-menu with transmission in lucid it's
left-click==nothing and right-click==context-menu.)

so what could be the conclusion? i would say the easiest thing is to use different applications
than ubuntu - which could be desirable as in "variatio delectat". having a second version of
transmission in ubuntu's main repo sounds like a no-go, but correct me if i'm wrong.

anyways, i hope this discussion will lead to consistent trayicon behavior in xubuntu maverick.

cheers,
simon

ps: for now i personally decided to use transmission from debian's unstable repo as i didn't see
any other way. for other's who want to try this too, you need transmission-common, transmission-gtk
and libssl0.9.8 and a brutal "sudo dpkg -i *" in the dir you save them to.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Eero Tamminen

Hi,

On Monday 24 May 2010, Simon Steinbeiß wrote:
> hi everyone,
> i wanted to point out an issue that might become more and more
> problematic with time for xubuntu: since ubuntu is patching applications
> to play along nicely with its indicator applets, that breaks consistency
> for those apps in xubuntu's/xfce's systray.

Is this a problem also for other Ubuntu derivatives like Kubuntu[1] and
Edubuntu[2]?

[1] I assume KDE to use the normal tray spec too?

[2] Which AFAIK cares more about things working remotely and I think
the new indicator stuff works over D-BUS which at least by default uses
unix socket instead of X as transport...

- Eero

Old 05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Vincent

On Monday 24 May 2010, Simon Steinbeiß wrote:

> hi everyone,

> i wanted to point out an issue that might become more and more

> problematic with time for xubuntu: since ubuntu is patching applications

> to play along nicely with its indicator applets, that breaks consistency

> for those apps in xubuntu's/xfce's systray.

Is this a problem also for other Ubuntu derivatives like Kubuntu[1] and

Edubuntu[2]?

[1] I assume KDE to use the normal tray spec too?

[2] Which AFAIK cares more about things working remotely and I think

the new indicator stuff works over D-BUS which at least by default uses

unix socket instead of X as transport...

I believe the original freedesktop.org specification originated in KDE, so yes, it works in Kubuntu. Edubuntu is based on GNOME so it works there too. Everything not GNOME or KDE is left out in the cold, I suppose. But perhaps someone wants to implement the specification in a panel plugin for Xfce.

Ignoring applications that use the spec will be hard, I think, because Ubuntu is working to convert all applications in its repo's, which we also use. Nor would I consider this tray icon such a deal-breaker that a whole application is excluded in advance.

*

* * * *- Eero

Vincent

Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 AM