Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

Default Help package Xfce 4.6.2 and Thunar 1.1.0 for use with Karmic and Lucid

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 05:54:28PM -0400, Ryan Oram wrote:
> On Sat May 22 at 02:14:22 BST 2010, Cody A.W. Somerville
> <cody-somerville at ubuntu.com>:
> >Xubuntu will (help Debian) package 4.6.2 for Maverick. You and your team are
> >welcome to backport the packages once thats done.
>
> We're beginning the backporting in about a week. You're welcome to use
> the packages in our PPAs/repositories and port them to Maverick for
> use in Xubuntu. I read that you only have a part-time coder ATM, so
> you're welcome to use our work if your team wishes.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Hi,

Thanks, but as already said on irc, we will merge/sync the Debian
packages. The Debian packager and I have been working this afternoon to
package Xfce 4.6.2; it's done, and available in the pkg-xfce svn
repository. This will probably be uploaded to unstable tomorrow, and
imported to maverick afterwards.

Cheers,

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A

Old 05-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Lionel Le Folgoc

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 07:39:11PM -0400, Ryan Oram wrote:
> On Sat May 22 at 23:27:53, Lionel Le Folgoc <mrpouit at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >Thanks, but as already said on irc, we will merge/sync the Debian
> >packages. The Debian packager and I have been working this afternoon to
> >package Xfce 4.6.2; it's done, and available in the pkg-xfce svn
> >repository. This will probably be uploaded to unstable tomorrow, and
> >imported to maverick afterwards.
>
> Great, we'll begin the process of backporting them and testing the
> backports as soon as the Maverick versions are uploaded. As infinityOS
> is binary compatible with Karmic and infinityOS 2.0 will be binary
> compatible with Lucid, we'll set up a PPA that Xubuntu users can use
> to upgrade to Xfce 4.6.2 as well. This way we can get extra testing
> for the packages before infinityOS 1.1 and 2.0 are released (and we
> can help bug test the code for Maverick as well).

I would like to try to push Xfce 4.6.2 into lucid-updates, as lucid is
(supposed to be) a LTS. The SRU procedure [0] is rather annoying, and
requires testers. If a ppa containing Xfce 4.6.2 for lucid is created,
everyone will start using it, and no one will ever test the packages in
lucid-proposed and they won't make it into lucid-updates (I know, I made
this mistake for hardy and xfce 4.4.3).

So, could you wait for the SRU before creating the lucid ppa (karmic is
fine)?

Thanks.

[0] <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates>