Old 05-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Ryan Oram

Default Help package Xfce 4.6.2 and Thunar 1.1.0 for use with Karmic and Lucid

I was wondering if you guys are willing to help the infinityOS Team
package Xfce 4.6.2 (and Thunar 1.1.0). We want to create a supported
PPA containing up-to-date Xfce packages (both 4.6 and 4.7).

My team has only 5 people people at the moment, so we need all the
help we can get. We are planning to include Xfce 4.6.2 and Thunar
1.1.0 (for SMB support) in infinityOS 1.1, which will be released on
around August 15, if things go as planned. A roadmap for infinityOS is
available here:
http://infinityos.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28

We believe that anything that benefits our sister distro will benefit
us as well. Working together is the key to the success of both
distributions.

Thanks,
Ryan Oram

Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 AM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

I was wondering if you guys are willing to help the infinityOS Team

package Xfce 4.6.2 (and Thunar 1.1.0). We want to create a supported

PPA containing up-to-date Xfce packages (both 4.6 and 4.7).

Xubuntu will (help Debian) package 4.6.2 for Maverick. You and your
team are welcome to backport the packages once thats done.

Cheers,
--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Release Engineer

Phone: +1 781 850 2087
Cell: +1 613 401 5141
Fax: +1 613 687 7368
Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Ryan Oram

On Sat May 22 at 02:14:22 BST 2010, Cody A.W. Somerville
<cody-somerville at ubuntu.com>:
>Xubuntu will (help Debian) package 4.6.2 for Maverick. You and your team are
>welcome to backport the packages once thats done.

We're beginning the backporting in about a week. You're welcome to use
the packages in our PPAs/repositories and port them to Maverick for
use in Xubuntu. I read that you only have a part-time coder ATM, so
you're welcome to use our work if your team wishes.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Ryan Oram

On Sat May 22 at 23:27:53, Lionel Le Folgoc <mrpouit at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>Thanks, but as already said on irc, we will merge/sync the Debian
>packages. The Debian packager and I have been working this afternoon to
>package Xfce 4.6.2; it's done, and available in the pkg-xfce svn
>repository. This will probably be uploaded to unstable tomorrow, and
>imported to maverick afterwards.

Great, we'll begin the process of backporting them and testing the
backports as soon as the Maverick versions are uploaded. As infinityOS
is binary compatible with Karmic and infinityOS 2.0 will be binary
compatible with Lucid, we'll set up a PPA that Xubuntu users can use
to upgrade to Xfce 4.6.2 as well. This way we can get extra testing
for the packages before infinityOS 1.1 and 2.0 are released (and we
can help bug test the code for Maverick as well).

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Ryan Oram

On Sun May 23 at 08:58:21, Lionel Le Folgoc <mrpouit at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>So, could you wait for the SRU before creating the lucid ppa (karmic is
>fine)?

Sure, no problem. infinityOS won't have a version based on the Lucid
codebase for a few months anyways (we are waiting until about 2-3
months after the release of Lucid to ensure that the codebase is nice
and stable due to bug fixes).

Good Luck,
Ryan