-   -   About new technologies in the upcoming release; request for release notes and documentation (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/361804-about-new-technologies-upcoming-release-request-release-notes-documentation.html)

Jarno Suni 04-25-2010 07:34 PM

About new technologies in the upcoming release; request for release notes and documentation

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> Anyone with the appropriate knowledge should feel free to create a
> community help page. The place for that would be on
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ . Please don't feel that there is a
> need to wait for developers to write the help page.

I'd say Xubuntu documentation included in Xubuntu image iso files
would be the better place to write about it, besides the release notes
that one is supposed to read before downloading an iso image file.
Then user could get that information even without internet connection.
I'd suggest the page corresponding to
file:///usr/share/xubuntu-docs/troubleshooting-multimedia.html in
Xubuntu 9.10 documentation. Would people responsible for taking
pulseaudio into Xubuntu take care of adding instructions on how to
remove pulseaudio for some people will not like the regressions it
causes, please?

I am not sure, if this is the best way:
1) "sudo pulseaudio --kill" (is sudo needed?)
2) "sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio"
3) restart

> The use of nouveau instead of nv is driven by the fact that the nv
> driver is no longer available. If you use an Nvidia video card, the
> nouveau driver will be used when you install Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu
> 10.04. Is there testing needed? We have one week to release. Testing
> has been done, by more than just Ubuntu users. There will be no
> reverting to the nv driver, it is obsolete.

At least there exists xserver-xorg-video-nv in a repository for Lucid.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/