Old 04-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default About new technologies in the upcoming release; request for release notes and documentation

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 02:54:20 +0300
Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pulseaudio:
> I think pulseaudio is future technology, arguably not mature enough
> for Xubuntu considering the Package Selection Matrix of Xubuntu
> Strategy Document. But if it makes sound work in some hardware, in
> which sound does not work otherwise (like Charlie Kravetz told)
> Xubuntu users should at least know about it. Adding it as the default
> sound system is one way to raise users' awareness about it, although
> not sufficient way as it works in the background. If contibutors are
> eager to take pulseaudio in, let them play. Users that will prefer the
> old system, should be informed about how to revert. That should be
> done in the final release notes and in documentation, to avoid
> confusion and to save time of users.

Anyone with the appropriate knowledge should feel free to create a
community help page. The place for that would be on
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ . Please don't feel that there is a
need to wait for developers to write the help page.

> Display drivers for Nvidia :
> 10.4 uses experimental -nouveau drivers instead of -nv drivers, which
> cause some regressions and bugs. If that driver is really needed,
> users should notified of such issues in release notes. Maybe users
> could revert to use -nv drivers; I have not tried and I have no time
> for that in this weekend.

The use of nouveau instead of nv is driven by the fact that the nv
driver is no longer available. If you use an Nvidia video card, the
nouveau driver will be used when you install Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu
10.04. Is there testing needed? We have one week to release. Testing
has been done, by more than just Ubuntu users. There will be no
reverting to the nv driver, it is obsolete.

--
Charlie Kravetz