Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

Default Wanted: Xubuntu Project Lead

Hi there,

A few months ago I accepted to become Xubuntu Project Lead temporarily
until the Xubuntu Council is formed. As of now, the council is far from
being ready, and I clearly don't have time to assume the leading role
(e.g. poking various people so that they do not forget about deadlines,
and so on…).

Therefore, I think people interested in becoming Xubuntu Project Lead
should step (in|up) now, either following the process described at
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2009-November/007180.html>
for instance, or maybe directly by pushing the Xubuntu Council creation
and/or being involved in this council when it's done.

I still intend to take care of the packaging and provide help to the
leader/council/anybody about technical matters as I've been doing for
several years, so potential candidates shouldn't be afraid of that.[*]

Thanks.

Cheers,
Lionel
[*] same for artwork, testing, documentation… There are people working
on these topics, the leader doesn't have to (and never did, despite what
people might believe) take care of everything on its own.

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A

Old 04-23-2010, 04:30 AM

Lionel,

I would be proud to serve as Xubuntu Project Lead.

I am not a coder or a software engineer, but I can get things done.

Sincerely,

Fabrizio Balsaq.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:16 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

A few months ago I accepted to become Xubuntu Project Lead temporarily

until the Xubuntu Council is formed. As of now, the council is far from

being ready, and I clearly don't have time to assume the leading role

(e.g. *poking various people so that they do not forget about deadlines,

and so on…).

It is indeed a very involved position. Kudos for taking it on and seeing the lucid release through.
*

Therefore, I think people interested in becoming Xubuntu Project Lead

should step (in|up) now, either following the process described at

<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2009-November/007180.html>

for instance, or maybe directly by pushing the Xubuntu Council creation

and/or being involved in this council when it's done.

I'd like to nominate Charlie Kravetz (charlie-tca) as the next Xubuntu Project Lead. Charlie has diligently been involved as a key contributor to Xubuntu over a span of several releases now. He has an in-depth understanding of the Xubuntu/Ubuntu community, the development process, and the goals/aspirations of the Xubuntu project. Although Charlie is not a developer, his work shepherding Xubuntu's bugs and helping out in #xubuntu has given Charlie a unique perspective and understanding of the weaknesses in our product as well as a more than just basic understanding of the technical details behind them. I also believe Charlie has demonstrated a high level of organization, patience, thoughtfulness, dedication and good interpersonal relations - all traits desirable in a project leader.

Traditionally the Xubuntu project lead has been a developer. I think if we're capable of having a leader who isn't of the traditional developer background, it will speak to the continuing growth and maturity of the Xubuntu project.

*

I still intend to take care of the packaging and provide help to the

leader/council/anybody about technical matters as I've been doing for

several years, so potential candidates shouldn't be afraid of that.[*]

Thanks.

Cheers,

Lionel

[*] same for artwork, testing, documentation… There are people working

on these topics, the leader doesn't have to (and never did, despite what

people might believe) take care of everything on its own.

--

Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit

E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 *F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A
*
Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Release Engineer
Foundations Team
Custom Engineering Solutions Group

Canonical OEM Services
Phone: +1 781 850 2087
Cell: +1 613 401 5141
Fax: +1 613 687 7368
Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Richard JOHNSON

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 10:16:57AM -0400, Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
[...]
> I'd like to nominate Charlie Kravetz (charlie-tca) as the next Xubuntu
> Project Lead. Charlie has diligently been involved as a key contributor to
> Xubuntu over a span of several releases now. He has an in-depth
> understanding of the Xubuntu/Ubuntu community, the development process, and
> the goals/aspirations of the Xubuntu project. Although Charlie is not a
> developer, his work shepherding Xubuntu's bugs and helping out in #xubuntu
> has given Charlie a unique perspective and understanding of the weaknesses
> in our product as well as a more than just basic understanding of the
> technical details behind them. I also believe Charlie has demonstrated a
> high level of organization, patience, thoughtfulness, dedication and good
> interpersonal relations - all traits desirable in a project leader.
>
> Traditionally the Xubuntu project lead has been a developer. I think if
> we're capable of having a leader who isn't of the traditional developer
> background, it will speak to the continuing growth and maturity of the
> Xubuntu project.

I would definitely be +1 on Charlie. Jim C. has told me all the good he has
been doing.

--
Name| Richard JOHNSON
Title| Developer
WWW| http://www.ubuntu.com
Email| nixternal@ubuntu.com
GnuPG| 3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96 7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Old 05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Fri, 7 May 2010 10:16:57 -0400
"Cody A.W. Somerville" <cody-somerville@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Lionel Le Folgoc <mrpouit@ubuntu.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > A few months ago I accepted to become Xubuntu Project Lead temporarily
> > until the Xubuntu Council is formed. As of now, the council is far from
> > being ready, and I clearly don't have time to assume the leading role
> > (e.g. poking various people so that they do not forget about deadlines,
> > and so on…).
> >

> It is indeed a very involved position. Kudos for taking it on and seeing the
> lucid release through.
>

> > Therefore, I think people interested in becoming Xubuntu Project Lead
> > should step (in|up) now, either following the process described at
> > <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2009-November/007180.html
> > >
> > for instance, or maybe directly by pushing the Xubuntu Council creation
> > and/or being involved in this council when it's done.
> >

> I'd like to nominate Charlie Kravetz (charlie-tca) as the next Xubuntu
> Project Lead. Charlie has diligently been involved as a key contributor to
> Xubuntu over a span of several releases now. He has an in-depth
> understanding of the Xubuntu/Ubuntu community, the development process, and
> the goals/aspirations of the Xubuntu project. Although Charlie is not a
> developer, his work shepherding Xubuntu's bugs and helping out in #xubuntu
> has given Charlie a unique perspective and understanding of the weaknesses
> in our product as well as a more than just basic understanding of the
> technical details behind them. I also believe Charlie has demonstrated a
> high level of organization, patience, thoughtfulness, dedication and good
> interpersonal relations - all traits desirable in a project leader.
>
> Traditionally the Xubuntu project lead has been a developer. I think if
> we're capable of having a leader who isn't of the traditional developer
> background, it will speak to the continuing growth and maturity of the
> Xubuntu project.
>

> > I still intend to take care of the packaging and provide help to the
> > leader/council/anybody about technical matters as I've been doing for
> > several years, so potential candidates shouldn't be afraid of that.[*]
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Lionel
> >
> >[*] same for artwork, testing, documentation… There are people working
> > on these topics, the leader doesn't have to (and never did, despite what
> > people might believe) take care of everything on its own.
> >
> > --
> > Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit<https://launchpad.net/%7Emrpouit>
> > E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A
> >

> Cheers,

Having given this considerable thought, I will accept the nomination. I
do not have any plans to change things much, though. I would like to
see the Xubuntu Council set up as specified in the strategy document
[1]. We have great developers in Xubuntu, and as Lionel said, things
get taken care of. I can send reminders when needed.

Lionel did a fantastic job with Xubuntu 10.04, and is owed a huge thank
you. We need more like him.

As Cody stated, I am not a developer. I do not write code, and have not
been able to even learn to write a decent bash application. I do have a
good working knowledge of Xubuntu, and have been around for a while. I
started using Ubuntu 5.10 in 2005, and switched to Xubuntu 6.06 when it
released because it worked better on my old hardware I had. I have
stayed with Xubuntu, because I still have old hardware. Also, I like
the blue better then the browns and oranges that Ubuntu chose to use.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Vincent

> [...]

do not have any plans to change things much, though. I would like to

see the Xubuntu Council set up as specified in the strategy document

[1]. We have great developers in Xubuntu, and as Lionel said, things

get taken care of. I can send reminders when needed.

Lionel did a fantastic job with Xubuntu 10.04, and is owed a huge thank

you. We need more like him.

As Cody stated, I am not a developer. I do not write code, and have not

been able to even learn to write a decent bash application. I do have a

good working knowledge of Xubuntu, and have been around for a while. I

started using Ubuntu 5.10 in 2005, and switched to Xubuntu 6.06 when it

released because it worked better on my old hardware I had. I have

stayed with Xubuntu, because I still have old hardware. Also, I like

the blue better then the browns and oranges that Ubuntu chose to use.

You have my blessing as well, I don't think there are many as qualified as you are, and I'm very glad you accept the nomination.

Also, Ubuntu is more purple and aubergine now ;-)

Best,
--
Vincent