-   -   Turn off touchpad (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/357513-turn-off-touchpad.html)

"Sandahl *" 04-15-2010 06:56 PM

Turn off touchpad

I really like Xubuntu,* but* there any plans to include an option to turn off the touchpad ?* So far the only way I am able to turn it off on my laptop is by typing sudo rmmod psmouse into a terminal and it becomes tiresome to have to do it twice a day between transport from work to home. I use Ubuntu on my other unit and it has the option and it would be great to have it on my Xubuntu laptop also

Thanks
Sandahl
--
http://ubuntu.wikia.com/wiki/Special:MyHome

Jarno Suni 04-15-2010 07:51 PM

Turn off touchpad

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Sandahl * <sandahlb@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really like Xubuntu,* but* there any plans to include an option to turn
> off the touchpad ?* So far the only way I am able to turn it off on my
> laptop is by typing sudo rmmod psmouse into a terminal and it becomes
> tiresome to have to do it twice a day between transport from work to home. I
> use Ubuntu on my other unit and it has the option and it would be great to
> have it on my Xubuntu laptop also

You can use syndaemon or gsynaptics or gsynaptics-init. They do not need sudo.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

"Sandahl *" 04-16-2010 05:09 AM

Turn off touchpad

http://gsynaptics.sourceforge.jp/* gsynaptics becomes obsolete soon and I do not use GNOME.

Jarno Suni 04-16-2010 05:32 AM

Turn off touchpad

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Sandahl * <sandahlb@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://gsynaptics.sourceforge.jp/* gsynaptics becomes obsolete soon and I do
> not use GNOME.

But it works ;) Are there too many dependencies you have to install?

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Steve Dodier 04-16-2010 08:27 AM

Turn off touchpad

Hello,

Maybe if you could point out how to toggle the touchpad in GNOME, it would be easier for Xubuntu developers to find out how the GNOME guys do and how a similar feature can be brought into XFCE.

Cheers,

--
Steve Dodier
Student at École Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs de Bourges

"Sandahl *" 04-16-2010 11:46 PM

Turn off touchpad

Yes many dependencies and my lappy has a tendency to overheat with GNOME. I actually prefer Xubuntu over Ubuntu because of* Xfce. It's faster and suits me better not to mention more attractive. Seems like I can remember doing one of them but I have been using it so long I have forgotten. I tried touch freeze and it didn't work very well.

Philip Newborough 04-17-2010 12:02 AM

Turn off touchpad

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Sandahl * <sandahlb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes many dependencies and my lappy has a tendency to overheat with GNOME. I
> actually prefer Xubuntu over Ubuntu because of* Xfce. It's faster and suits
> me better not to mention more attractive. Seems like I can remember doing
> one of them but I have been using it so long I have forgotten. I tried touch
> freeze and it didn't work very well.

I am not sure this will work on Xubuntu, at least I have not tried it
myself, but have you tried manipulating your touchpad by using the
synclient command? For example,

synclient TouchpadOff=1

should turn if off, and,

synclient TouchpadOff=0

should turn it back on again. If it works on your system, you could
perhaps create a little toggle script and bind it to a key combo?

-- Philip

"Sandahl *" 04-17-2010 12:23 AM

Turn off touchpad

I will certainly try that when I arrive home on Sunday, thank you. Until then I am stuck with the abomination that is Vista while finishing this assignment.

Jarno Suni 04-17-2010 05:29 AM

Turn off touchpad

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Sandahl * <sandahlb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes many dependencies and my lappy has a tendency to overheat with GNOME. I
> actually prefer Xubuntu over Ubuntu because of* Xfce. It's faster and suits
> me better not to mention more attractive. Seems like I can remember doing
> one of them but I have been using it so long I have forgotten.

Well, your laptop won't overheat due to gsynaptics.

> I tried touch
> freeze and it didn't work very well.

I have "syndaemon -d -i 0.5s -k -t" as a startup command.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/