Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Settings Menu

One of our goals has been to attempt to improve the appearance of
Xubuntu. Along with that is improving the presentation of menus,
specifically, the Applications -> Settings menu. This menu easily
becomes long and cluttered.

I would propose that most of the entries in the menu on a default
installation are not needed and can be removed. The following items are
duplicate entries in both Applications -> Settings and Applications ->
Settings -> Xfce 4 Settings Manager:

Accessibility
Appearance
Calendar
Desktop
Display
File Manager
Keyboard
Mouse
Panel
Power Manager
Preferred Applications
Removable Drives and Media
Session and Startup
Window Manager
Window Manager Tweaks
Workspaces

If those items were removed from Applications -> Settings dialog, there
would be a total of four(4) enties remaining, making the menu look much
cleaner. The entries would then be:

Xfce 4 Settings Manager
Scim Inpuit Method Startup
Screensaver
Settings Editor

Ideally, these would be added to the Settings Manager, which could then
be a single menu item for all settings. However, time is short, and a
easy way to improve this menu is remove the duplicates.

Comments? Anybody have a better idea? Let's make Lucid the best release
we can!

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Quality Assurance

Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Jarno Suni

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> Comments? Anybody have a better idea? Let's make Lucid the best release
> we can!

User may install additional applications, such as arandr, that put
items in the Settings menu, so removing the Settings menu is not an
option. arandr would be nice as a default application, btw. Most
settings can be accessed more quickly in Settings menu, but it would
be easier to find the additional setting dialogs, if the usual Xfce
setting dialogs were not in the same menu.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 04-11-2010, 06:06 PM
"A. C. Censi"

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
>
>> Comments? Anybody have a better idea? Let's make Lucid the best release
> if the usual Xfce
> setting dialogs were not in the same menu.

Another idea is to have a hierarchy of items like:

Accessibility
Appearance
---- Desktop
---- Panels
---- Window Manager
---- Window Manager Tweaks (really it should be in the main WM config,
but it depends on upstream)
Devices
---- Display
---- ---- Screensaver
---- ----- Arandr or any other XRANDR frontend
---- Keyboard
---- Mouses
---- Power Manager
Applications
---- File Manager
---- Startup
---- Preferred Applicaions
etc.

--
A. C. Censi
accensi [em] gmail [ponto] com

Old 04-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:06:18 -0300
"A. C. Censi" <accensi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Charlie Kravetz
> > <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Comments? Anybody have a better idea? Let's make Lucid the best release
> > if the usual Xfce
> > setting dialogs were not in the same menu.
>
> Another idea is to have a hierarchy of items like:
>
> Accessibility
> Appearance
> ---- Desktop
> ---- Panels
> ---- Window Manager
> ---- Window Manager Tweaks (really it should be in the main WM config,
> but it depends on upstream)
> Devices
> ---- Display
> ---- ---- Screensaver
> ---- ----- Arandr or any other XRANDR frontend
> ---- Keyboard
> ---- Mouses
> ---- Power Manager
> Applications
> ---- File Manager
> ---- Startup
> ---- Preferred Applicaions
> etc.

Don't think I like the idea of settings scattered all over. By leaving
them in Applications -> Settings , I can at least find anything I need
to change without having to look in every menu.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 04-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:52:30 +0300
Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
>
> > Comments? Anybody have a better idea? Let's make Lucid the best release
> > we can!
>
> User may install additional applications, such as arandr, that put
> items in the Settings menu, so removing the Settings menu is not an
> option. arandr would be nice as a default application, btw. Most
> settings can be accessed more quickly in Settings menu, but it would
> be easier to find the additional setting dialogs, if the usual Xfce
> setting dialogs were not in the same menu.

Yes, other applications may add to the Applications -> Settings menu,
but if we started with a much smaller menu, it would sure look nicer! I
don't want the menu to go away. I just want to have the settings in one
place, instead of two places that do the same thing.

Applications -> Settings
Applications -> Settings -> Xfce 4 Settings Manager

duplicate each other.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
"A. C. Censi"

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> Don't think I like the idea of settings scattered all over. By leaving
> them in Applications -> Settings , I can at least find anything I need
> to change without having to look in every menu.

Just to clarify, my suggestion is to have the hierarchy below Settings
entry, not scattered.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
raevol

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:15 AM, A. C. Censi <accensi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Charlie Kravetz

<cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> Don't think I like the idea of settings scattered all over. By leaving

> them in Applications -> Settings , I can at least find anything I need

> to change without having to look in every menu.

Just to clarify, my suggestion is to have the hierarchy below Settings

entry, not scattered.
Just to put in my $.02, as a *user*, the original proposal to just remove duplicates sounds the best. I really enjoy using the XFCE settings manager, so having to open it to look for a settings dialog would be a welcome change, instead of a hindrance. And reducing the size of these menus would definitely reduce frustration.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

wrote:

> Don't think I like the idea of settings scattered all over. By
leaving

> them in Applications -> Settings , I can at least find anything
I need

> to change without having to look in every menu.

Just to clarify, my suggestion is to have the hierarchy below Settings

entry, not scattered.

Just to put in my $.02, as a *user*, the original proposal to
just remove duplicates sounds the best. I really enjoy using the XFCE
settings manager, so having to open it to look for a settings dialog
would be a welcome change, instead of a hindrance. And reducing the
size of these menus would definitely reduce frustration.

Now we have $.047 in the pot (currency conversion provided by Google).

--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:15:00AM -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> One of our goals has been to attempt to improve the appearance of
> Xubuntu. Along with that is improving the presentation of menus,
> specifically, the Applications -> Settings menu. This menu easily
> becomes long and cluttered.
>
> I would propose that most of the entries in the menu on a default
> installation are not needed and can be removed. […]

Should be done in xubuntu-default-settings 10.04.7, just uploaded.

Cheers,

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A

Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 PM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:33:06 +0200
Lionel Le Folgoc <mrpouit@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:15:00AM -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > One of our goals has been to attempt to improve the appearance of
> > Xubuntu. Along with that is improving the presentation of menus,
> > specifically, the Applications -> Settings menu. This menu easily
> > becomes long and cluttered.
> >
> > I would propose that most of the entries in the menu on a default
> > installation are not needed and can be removed. […]
>
> Should be done in xubuntu-default-settings 10.04.7, just uploaded.
>
> Cheers,

Thank you for the great job and the quick response. It is great to see
developers working together to get the best possible distribution
possible out in such short time frames.

--
Charlie Kravetz [http://teamcharliesangels.com]
bicyclist, computer tech, plumber, customer service rep, retired,