Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Kristian Rink

Default request for beta2 announcement input

Am 08.04.2010 10:38, schrieb Lionel Le Folgoc:
[...]
>> I didn't hear back from either of you in response to my request for input to
>> the beta1 announcement, so Xubuntu and UbuntuStudio only got a brief mention
>> at the top of the mail. Would either of you like to have a "what's new"
>> blurb in the beta2 announcement? If so, please send me your content by
>> Thursday morning UTC so I can include it.

A short shot at this as I am in the process of dealing with the release
notes:

[...................]

"Heading for 10.04, Xubuntu has seen a substantial overhaul, while as
always providing a pleasant and lightweight computing environment for
all those wanting to go with the XFCE desktop by default. Along with the
usual updates of core components and infrastructure like the Linux
kernel, plymouth splash screen and graphics card drivers, there are some
changes noteworthy about Xubuntu 10.04:

- Accessibility first: In order to assist all these in need of an
on-screen keyboard, OnBoard has been added to "Accessoires" in the
default installation.

- All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. In order to help Jack,
Xubuntu comes with a fine and revamped selection of games including
classics like Mahjongg, Sudoku and Solitaire.

- Imagine! While replaced in the Ubuntu distribution, Xubuntu 10.04
continues to offer the GNU Image Manipulation Program in the default
installation. Along with this, xsane has been replaced in favour of
SimpleScan to ease setup and operation of scanners.

- More bits in times of need: The all-new "Ubuntu Software Center"
replaces the "Add/Remove ..." option provided in earlier versions.

- Changes in applications provided with Xubuntu include a significant
update of Gnumeric (to version 1.10.1), resolving most of the issues
seen in earlier Xubuntu versions. Likewise, "remote filesystems" has
been renamed to Gigolo and provides access to a vast array of remote
file system technologies, including SSH/SFTP, WebDAV and CIFS.

- Thanks to fixes in pulse-audio, by now sound no longer is muted during
system startup.

- Bugs: Still talking Beta, some critical issues still are left to be
addressed:

* There is a critical bug in Abiword that causes a freeze for most
users when anything under the Help menu is selected. This does cause
you to lose the document you are working on.
(https://launchpad.net/bugs/519541)

* There are still issues being worked concerning Plymouth and Nvidia
video. Due to these issues, the splash screens on boot look less good
than desired.
(http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/all-about-kernel-mode-setting/)"

[...................]

Comments?

K.

--
Kristian Rink * http://pictorial.zimmer428.net # kawazu@jabber.org
"What was once thought can never be unthought."

Old 04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Kristian Rink <kawazu@zimmer428.net> wrote:

Am 08.04.2010 10:38, schrieb Lionel Le Folgoc:

[...]

>> I didn't hear back from either of you in response to my request for input to

>> the beta1 announcement, so Xubuntu and UbuntuStudio only got a brief mention

>> at the top of the mail. *Would either of you like to have a "what's new"

>> blurb in the beta2 announcement? *If so, please send me your content by

>> Thursday morning UTC so I can include it.

A short shot at this as I am in the process of dealing with the release

notes:

[...................]

"Heading for 10.04, Xubuntu has seen a substantial overhaul, while as

always providing a pleasant and lightweight computing environment for

all those wanting to go with the XFCE desktop by default. Along with the

usual updates of core components and infrastructure like the Linux

kernel, plymouth splash screen and graphics card drivers, there are some

changes noteworthy about Xubuntu 10.04:

- Accessibility first: In order to assist all these in need of an

on-screen keyboard, OnBoard has been added to "Accessoires" in the

default installation.

- All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. In order to help Jack,

Xubuntu comes with a fine and revamped selection of games including

classics like Mahjongg, Sudoku and Solitaire.

- Imagine! While replaced in the Ubuntu distribution, Xubuntu 10.04

continues to offer the GNU Image Manipulation Program in the default

installation. Along with this, xsane has been replaced in favour of

SimpleScan to ease setup and operation of scanners.

- More bits in times of need: The all-new "Ubuntu Software Center"

replaces the "Add/Remove ..." option provided in earlier versions.

- Changes in applications provided with Xubuntu include a significant

update of Gnumeric (to version 1.10.1), resolving most of the issues

seen in earlier Xubuntu versions. Likewise, "remote filesystems" has

been renamed to Gigolo and provides access to a vast array of remote

file system technologies, including SSH/SFTP, WebDAV and CIFS.

- Thanks to fixes in pulse-audio, by now sound no longer is muted during

system startup.

- Bugs: Still talking Beta, some critical issues still are left to be

addressed:

* There is a critical bug in Abiword that causes a freeze for most

users when anything under the Help menu is selected. This does cause

you to lose the document you are working on.

(https://launchpad.net/bugs/519541)

* There are still issues being worked concerning Plymouth and Nvidia

video. Due to these issues, the splash screens on boot look less good

than desired.

(http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/all-about-kernel-mode-setting/)"

[...................]

Comments?

Awesome work. However, for the release announcement, Steve only needs a 2 to 3 paragraph general overview.

Also, saying "Xubuntu has seen a substantial overhaul" is mostly incorrect.

Cheers,
--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Release Engineer

Fax: +1 613 687 7368
Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Old 04-08-2010, 03:16 PM

Mr. Somerville,

Geez...these bugs you speak of sound pretty serious to me.

I guess I'll have to wait a while before I install 10.04.

My old 9.04 install is running perfectly.

Regards,

Fabrizio Balsaq

Old 04-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Kristian,

Thank you for the update.

I hope we can get these bugs fixed asap.

Thanks,

Fabrizio Balsaq

Old 04-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:58:58 -0400
"Cody A.W. Somerville" <cody.somerville@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Kristian Rink <kawazu@zimmer428.net> wrote:
>
> > Am 08.04.2010 10:38, schrieb Lionel Le Folgoc:
> > [...]
> > input to
> > mention
> >
> > A short shot at this as I am in the process of dealing with the release
> > notes:
> >
> > [...................]
> >
> > "Heading for 10.04, Xubuntu has seen a substantial overhaul, while as
> > always providing a pleasant and lightweight computing environment for
> > all those wanting to go with the XFCE desktop by default. Along with the
> > usual updates of core components and infrastructure like the Linux
> > kernel, plymouth splash screen and graphics card drivers, there are some
> > changes noteworthy about Xubuntu 10.04:
> >
> > - Accessibility first: In order to assist all these in need of an
> > on-screen keyboard, OnBoard has been added to "Accessoires" in the
> > default installation.
> >
> > - All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. In order to help Jack,
> > Xubuntu comes with a fine and revamped selection of games including
> > classics like Mahjongg, Sudoku and Solitaire.
> >
> > - Imagine! While replaced in the Ubuntu distribution, Xubuntu 10.04
> > continues to offer the GNU Image Manipulation Program in the default
> > installation. Along with this, xsane has been replaced in favour of
> > SimpleScan to ease setup and operation of scanners.
> >
> > - More bits in times of need: The all-new "Ubuntu Software Center"
> > replaces the "Add/Remove ..." option provided in earlier versions.
> >
> > - Changes in applications provided with Xubuntu include a significant
> > update of Gnumeric (to version 1.10.1), resolving most of the issues
> > seen in earlier Xubuntu versions. Likewise, "remote filesystems" has
> > been renamed to Gigolo and provides access to a vast array of remote
> > file system technologies, including SSH/SFTP, WebDAV and CIFS.
> >
> > - Thanks to fixes in pulse-audio, by now sound no longer is muted during
> > system startup.
> >
> > - Bugs: Still talking Beta, some critical issues still are left to be
> > addressed:
> >
> > * There is a critical bug in Abiword that causes a freeze for most
> > users when anything under the Help menu is selected. This does cause
> > you to lose the document you are working on.
> > (https://launchpad.net/bugs/519541)
> >
> > * There are still issues being worked concerning Plymouth and Nvidia
> > video. Due to these issues, the splash screens on boot look less good
> > than desired.
> > (http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/all-about-kernel-mode-setting/)"
> >
> > [...................]
> >
> > Comments?
> >

> Awesome work. However, for the release announcement, Steve only needs a 2 to
> 3 paragraph general overview.
>
> Also, saying "Xubuntu has seen a substantial overhaul" is mostly incorrect.
>
> Cheers,

If we aren't getting this into new or release notes, can we give Steve
a link to our own notes?

At least it will help keep us and the users aware of what is happening
in Xubuntu, instead of just the issues Ubuntu is having and their
changes.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

If we aren't getting this into new or release notes, can we give Steve

a link to our own notes?

At least it will help keep us and the users aware of what is happening

in Xubuntu, instead of just the issues Ubuntu is having and their

changes.

Not sure if I'm understanding your question. However, the blurb we submit to Steve for inclusion in the 10.04 release announcement should include a link to our release notes.

Cheers,

Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:53:35 -0400
"Cody A.W. Somerville" <cody-somerville@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com
> > wrote:
>
> > If we aren't getting this into new or release notes, can we give Steve
> > a link to our own notes?
> >
> > At least it will help keep us and the users aware of what is happening
> > in Xubuntu, instead of just the issues Ubuntu is having and their
> > changes.
> >

> Not sure if I'm understanding your question. However, the blurb we submit to
> Steve for inclusion in the 10.04 release announcement should include a link
> to our release notes.
>
> Cheers,

Those release notes are what Kristian attempted to write for us.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 04-08-2010, 05:21 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

> > If we aren't getting this into new or release notes, can we give Steve

> > a link to our own notes?

> > At least it will help keep us and the users aware of what is happening

> > in Xubuntu, instead of just the issues Ubuntu is having and their

> > changes.

> Not sure if I'm understanding your question. However, the blurb we submit to

> Steve for inclusion in the 10.04 release announcement should include a link

> to our release notes.

> Cheers,

Those release notes are what Kristian attempted to write for us.

Right. We can put those on the wiki and then have another short blurb that will be included in the release announcement that can link to said wiki page and/or website (if we post the release notes to website).

Cheers,

Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Kristian Rink

Am 08.04.2010 16:58, schrieb Cody A.W. Somerville:
[...]
> [...................]
>
> Comments?
>

> Awesome work. However, for the release announcement, Steve only needs a
> 2 to 3 paragraph general overview.

Ok. Shall I somehow cut things down, or is it too late for that anyway?

> Also, saying "Xubuntu has seen a substantial overhaul" is mostly incorrect.

Guess I was a little over-enthusiastic here - feel free to cut this down
to a more reasonable wording.

K.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Vincent

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Kristian Rink <kawazu@zimmer428.net> wrote:

> [...]

system startup.

- Bugs: Still talking Beta, some critical issues still are left to be

addressed:

* There is a critical bug in Abiword that causes a freeze for most

users when anything under the Help menu is selected. This does cause

you to lose the document you are working on.

(https://launchpad.net/bugs/519541)

* There are still issues being worked concerning Plymouth and Nvidia

video. Due to these issues, the splash screens on boot look less good

than desired.

(http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/all-about-kernel-mode-setting/)"

Comments?

K.

--

Kristian Rink * http://pictorial.zimmer428.net # kawazu@jabber.org

"What was once thought can never be unthought."

Kristian, are these the final release notes? (The [....] might indicate you have more) If so, can I (or would you like to) put them on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/LucidLynx/Beta2 so I can link to them in the website announcement?

Thanks,
--
Vincent