FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Xubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Charlie Kravetz
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

Today we started beta2 testing for Lucid. We have three weeks until
lucid releases. The scheduled release date is 2010-04-29, and at this
time, it appears accurate.

Could we get the xubuntu.org website updated with news about 10.04 ? We
have done no advertising to speak of, not even the beta1 release notes.
With three weeks to release, the only way anyone knows we are going to
release Xubuntu 10.04 is through the Ubuntu Release Team. They did
reference Xubuntu in the release notes.

We really should have release notes for beta2. We also should have a
news clip on http://www.xubuntu.org about lucid.

Are we going to let the word out? Perhaps some blogging could be done,
a news clip written and posted to the website, etc. Do we have a
countdown timer we could use? Are we going to have a new background?

Time is running out. It seems to me we, as a team, need to start
getting word out. We also have Ubuntu Open Week coming. Are we doing
anything for it? That has been a great way to get some people involved.

Enough rambling.... Are there any answers?

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Quality Assurance
Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 
Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 AM
z b
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

sounds like you guys need alot more people to help out with some of
the mundane stuff like the advertising

On 4/6/10, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> Today we started beta2 testing for Lucid. We have three weeks until
> lucid releases. The scheduled release date is 2010-04-29, and at this
> time, it appears accurate.
>
> Could we get the xubuntu.org website updated with news about 10.04 ? We
> have done no advertising to speak of, not even the beta1 release notes.
> With three weeks to release, the only way anyone knows we are going to
> release Xubuntu 10.04 is through the Ubuntu Release Team. They did
> reference Xubuntu in the release notes.
>
> We really should have release notes for beta2. We also should have a
> news clip on http://www.xubuntu.org about lucid.
>
> Are we going to let the word out? Perhaps some blogging could be done,
> a news clip written and posted to the website, etc. Do we have a
> countdown timer we could use? Are we going to have a new background?
>
> Time is running out. It seems to me we, as a team, need to start
> getting word out. We also have Ubuntu Open Week coming. Are we doing
> anything for it? That has been a great way to get some people involved.
>
> Enough rambling.... Are there any answers?
>
> --
> Charlie Kravetz
> Xubuntu Quality Assurance
> Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
> Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]
>
> --
> xubuntu-devel mailing list
> xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
>

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 
Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Kaspar Kp
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

this is why it is important to divide some of the tasks for development iteration... that means - person X is responsible for updating the web page during MM development etc.

i know we all want open discussion and democracy, but then no-one will feel the responsibility to do anything


sorry, i'm no developer, just a user interested in the process of creating xubuntu

kaspar



On 7 April 2010 07:35, z b <novarozz@gmail.com> wrote:

sounds like you guys need alot more people to help out with some of

the mundane stuff like the advertising



On 4/6/10, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> Today we started beta2 testing for Lucid. We have three weeks until

> lucid releases. The scheduled release date is 2010-04-29, and at this

> time, it appears accurate.

>

> Could we get the xubuntu.org website updated with news about 10.04 ? We

> have done no advertising to speak of, not even the beta1 release notes.

> With three weeks to release, the only way anyone knows we are going to

> release Xubuntu 10.04 is through the Ubuntu Release Team. They did

> reference Xubuntu in the release notes.

>

> We really should have release notes for beta2. We also should have a

> news clip on http://www.xubuntu.org about lucid.

>

> Are we going to let the word out? Perhaps some blogging could be done,

> a news clip written and posted to the website, etc. Do we have a

> countdown timer we could use? Are we going to have a new background?

>

> Time is running out. It seems to me we, as a team, need to start

> getting word out. We also have Ubuntu Open Week coming. Are we doing

> anything for it? That has been a great way to get some people involved.

>

> Enough rambling.... Are there any answers?

>

> --

> Charlie Kravetz

> Xubuntu Quality Assurance

> Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

> Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

>

> --

> xubuntu-devel mailing list

> xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

>



--

xubuntu-devel mailing list

xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel



--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 
Old 04-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Kristian Rink
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

Am 07.04.2010 09:59, schrieb Kaspar Kp:
> this is why it is important to divide some of the tasks for development
> iteration... that means - person X is responsible for updating the web
> page during MM development etc.
>
> i know we all want open discussion and democracy, but then no-one will
> feel the responsibility to do anything

I'm by no means a developer but rather just a quiet lurker on the list,
but nevertheless what would be the "formal" way of volunteering /
offering some time for work like adding news to a web page, doing some
promotion, announcing new releases, ...?

K.

--
Kristian Rink * http://pictorial.zimmer428.net # kawazu@jabber.org
"What was once thought can never be unthought."
(Duerrenmatt - 'Die Physiker')

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Pasi Lallinaho
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

Kristian Rink wrote:

Am 07.04.2010 09:59, schrieb Kaspar Kp:


this is why it is important to divide some of the tasks for development
iteration... that means - person X is responsible for updating the web
page during MM development etc.

i know we all want open discussion and democracy, but then no-one will
feel the responsibility to do anything



I'm by no means a developer but rather just a quiet lurker on the list,
but nevertheless what would be the "formal" way of volunteering /
offering some time for work like adding news to a web page, doing some
promotion, announcing new releases, ...?

K.



As of this mail, anybody is free to step up and write the release
notes. I think it would make sense if Charlie and/or Lionel proofread
and approved the text before it is published. Only people with
credentials to the site can update it, so that's not a task for
volunteers stepping up for some time only.



If you want to offer more of your time, join us at #xubuntu-devel, get
yourself known and eventually, you can be given rights to update the
Xubuntu website, though traditionally everything has gone through/been
approved by the community before publishing even if you had the full
rights to update.



Everybody is free to do promotion of Xubuntu in their own websites,
blogs and whatever by shouting the new Xubuntu release is coming. And
possibly that you love it.



--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead
Web-designer, graphic artist
IRC: knome @ freenode



--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Pasi Lallinaho
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

Kaspar Kööp wrote:
this is why it is important to divide some of the tasks
for development iteration... that means - person X is responsible for
updating the web page during MM development etc.


Tasks *are* divided – the people responsible for stuff just don't
always have the time they wanted to. The additional workload should of
course be split amongst the rest of the community where
applicable/possible, but of course, nobody can get infinite amount of
tasks done.



This is not a situation where we want to be, but we just need to cope
with it.



i know we all want open discussion and democracy, but then no-one will
feel the responsibility to do anything


When it comes down to Open Source projects, I think open discussion is
pretty much what it is about. The people working on Xubuntu and/or
other OS projects are usually motivated enough to take on some smaller
stuff in addition what they do usually, if that is really needed.



Then again, democracy in OS projects is a completely different thing
and I won't go into that here.



sorry, i'm no developer, just a user interested in the process of
creating xubuntu


Everybody is welcome to post on the mailing list. Thanks for your
opinions.



kaspar







On 7 April 2010 07:35, z b <novarozz@gmail.com>
wrote:

sounds
like you guys need alot more people to help out with some of

the mundane stuff like the advertising




On 4/6/10, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com>
wrote:

> Today we started beta2 testing for Lucid. We have three weeks until

> lucid releases. The scheduled release date is 2010-04-29, and at
this

> time, it appears accurate.

>

> Could we get the xubuntu.org website
updated with news about 10.04 ? We

> have done no advertising to speak of, not even the beta1 release
notes.

> With three weeks to release, the only way anyone knows we are
going to

> release Xubuntu 10.04 is through the Ubuntu Release Team. They did

> reference Xubuntu in the release notes.

>

> We really should have release notes for beta2. We also should have
a

> news clip on http://www.xubuntu.org
about lucid.

>

> Are we going to let the word out? Perhaps some blogging could be
done,

> a news clip written and posted to the website, etc. Do we have a

> countdown timer we could use? Are we going to have a new
background?

>

> Time is running out. It seems to me we, as a team, need to start

> getting word out. We also have Ubuntu Open Week coming. Are we
doing

> anything for it? That has been a great way to get some people
involved.

>

> Enough rambling.... Are there any answers?

>

> --

> Charlie Kravetz

> Xubuntu Quality Assurance

> Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

> Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

>

> --

> xubuntu-devel mailing list

> xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

>



--

xubuntu-devel mailing list

xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel












--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead
Web-designer, graphic artist
IRC: knome @ freenode



--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 
Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Kristian Rink
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

re release notes: Is there some list of features / applications added as
of 10.04 that should especially be emphasized? I'll have a look and
shall see how far I get writing a few lines on that...

K.


--
Kristian Rink * http://pictorial.zimmer428.net # kawazu@jabber.org
"What was once thought can never be unthought."
(Duerrenmatt - 'Die Physiker')

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Pasi Lallinaho
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

Kristian Rink wrote:
> re release notes: Is there some list of features / applications added as
> of 10.04 that should especially be emphasized? I'll have a look and
> shall see how far I get writing a few lines on that...
>
> K.
>
>
>
No, I don't think there is. Charlie (charlie-tca @ freenode) will be
able to tell all the new features we might want to tell about since he
tests the images every day.

Let there be joy in the work.

--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead
Web-designer, graphic artist
IRC: knome @ freenode


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 
Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Kristian Rink
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

Am 07.04.2010 12:29, schrieb Pasi Lallinaho:
> No, I don't think there is. Charlie (charlie-tca @ freenode) will be
> able to tell all the new features we might want to tell about since he
> tests the images every day.

I will see to take some time hanging around IRC in case my home ISP
finally manages to get my line working again. *grrr* Meanwhile, feel
free to dump me with thoughts via e-mail as well...

K.

--
Kristian Rink * http://pictorial.zimmer428.net # kawazu@jabber.org
"What was once thought can never be unthought."
(Duerrenmatt - 'Die Physiker')

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Charlie Kravetz
 
Default Updates for Lucid Lynx

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:40:38 +0200
Kristian Rink <kawazu@zimmer428.net> wrote:

> re release notes: Is there some list of features / applications added as
> of 10.04 that should especially be emphasized? I'll have a look and
> shall see how far I get writing a few lines on that...
>
> K.
>

OnBoard has been added to Accessories to assist those who need on
on-screen keyboard.

Ubuntu Software Center replaced "Add/Remove ..."

Games have been very streamlined. We now offer the following by default:
Aisleriot Solitaire
Mahjongg
Mines
Quadrapassel (a tetris-type game)
Sudoku

While Ubuntu has replaced Gimp, Xubuntu still offers it by default.

We have replaced Xsane Image Scanner with SimpleScan, a much easier
application to setup and use.

Really big: pulse audio no longer mutes the sound on startup!

Gnumeric has been upgraded to version 1.10.1, which resolves most of
the issues seen in Xubuntu 9.10 and earlier.

Remote filesystems has been renamed to Gigolo, which is much more
direct when trying to determine the application used.


BUGS:

There is a critical bug in Abiword that causes a freeze for most
users when anything under the Help menu is selected. This does cause
you to lose the document you are working on.
(https://launchpad.net/bugs/519541)

There are still issues being worked concerning Plymouth and Nvidia
video. Due to these issues, the splash screens on boot look less good
than desired.
(http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/all-about-kernel-mode-setting/)

Write it up, let us know hear. We need a release notes for later today
or tomorrow. Thanks for helping.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Quality Assurance
Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org