Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Vincent

Default Add Gnote as a note-taking application

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I'd like to recommend Gnote as a note-taking application for the Xubuntu default installation.* Gnote is an actively maintained C++ ongoing fork of Tomboy.* I know that Xfce has a notes plugin, but the functionality of Gnote is much better.*

Here's information on the Lucid package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gnote
Here's information on the software itself: http://live.gnome.org/Gnote

Commit info to show maintenance: http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnote/

I am not necessarily recommending it for the default panel installation, but just to be included.* I've used it extensively from within Xubuntu Karmic and have been very impressed with how it works.* It does not require the xfapplets plugin to appear in the notification area.

What do you think?

How is the functionality better? (I don't personally use xfce4-notes.) How does it stack up performance-wise?
*

Jim

--
Vincent

Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

wrote:

[...]

For my note-making needs, the Xfce notes plugin works perfectly. Even
if the new version is IMO a bit more complex/not as intuitive, it's
still very simple and does what it is supposed to do.

*
Jim

--

Vincent

I didn't find any good screenshots of Gnote easily. Jim, could you
post a few somewhere (showing off the core features/features you
think makes a difference between Gnote/Xfce applet) and link to them?
Thanks in advance

I'm open in including it, if it's as good as you say.

Cheers,

--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:48:13 -0600
Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to recommend Gnote as a note-taking application for the Xubuntu
> default installation. Gnote is an actively maintained C++ ongoing fork of
> Tomboy. I know that Xfce has a notes plugin, but the functionality of Gnote
> is much better.
>
> Here's information on the Lucid package:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gnote
> Here's information on the software itself: http://live.gnome.org/Gnote
> Commit info to show maintenance: http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnote/
>
> I am not necessarily recommending it for the default panel installation, but
> just to be included. I've used it extensively from within Xubuntu Karmic
> and have been very impressed with how it works. It does not require the
> xfapplets plugin to appear in the notification area.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Jim

I personally install tomboy on all my systems. I tend to use it for a
lot of notes. Is it possible to port the tomboy notes to gnote? Do I
lose any functionality?

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Jim Campbell

> I'd like to recommend Gnote as a note-taking application for the Xubuntu

> default installation. *Gnote is an actively maintained C++ ongoing fork of

> Tomboy. *I know that Xfce has a notes plugin, but the functionality of Gnote

> is much better.

> Here's information on the Lucid package:

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gnote

> Here's information on the software itself: http://live.gnome.org/Gnote

> Commit info to show maintenance: http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnote/

> I am not necessarily recommending it for the default panel installation, but

> just to be included. *I've used it extensively from within Xubuntu Karmic

> and have been very impressed with how it works. *It does not require the

> xfapplets plugin to appear in the notification area.

> What do you think?

> Jim

I personally install tomboy on all my systems. I tend to use it for a

lot of notes. Is it possible to port the tomboy notes to gnote? Do I

lose any functionality?

Charlie, Tomboy notes can be imported into and opened in Gnote. I'll provide further info about the other differences tonight.

Jim

Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Radomir Dopieralski

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:48:13 -0600
>> Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I'd like to recommend Gnote as a note-taking application for the Xubuntu
>> > default installation. *Gnote is an actively maintained C++ ongoing fork
>> > of
>> > Tomboy. *I know that Xfce has a notes plugin, but the functionality of
>> > Gnote
>> > is much better.
>> >
>> > Here's information on the Lucid package:
>> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gnote
>> > Here's information on the software itself: http://live.gnome.org/Gnote
>> > Commit info to show maintenance: http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnote/
>> >
>> > I am not necessarily recommending it for the default panel installation,
>> > but
>> > just to be included. *I've used it extensively from within Xubuntu
>> > Karmic
>> > and have been very impressed with how it works. *It does not require the
>> > xfapplets plugin to appear in the notification area.
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>> >
>> > Jim
>>
>> I personally install tomboy on all my systems. I tend to use it for a
>> lot of notes. Is it possible to port the tomboy notes to gnote? Do I
>> lose any functionality?
>
> Charlie, Tomboy notes can be imported into and opened in Gnote. I'll provide
> further info about the other differences tonight.

Sorry for adding to the confusion, but I wanted to point out that zim
is also a very nice note-taking application.

--
Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl

Old 01-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Jim Campbell

Hey All,

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Charlie Kravetz

> <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:48:13 -0600

>> Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hi All,

>> > I'd like to recommend Gnote as a note-taking application for the Xubuntu

>> > default installation. *Gnote is an actively maintained C++ ongoing fork

>> > of

>> > Tomboy. *I know that Xfce has a notes plugin, but the functionality of

>> > Gnote

>> > is much better.

>> > Here's information on the Lucid package:

>> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gnote

>> > Here's information on the software itself: http://live.gnome.org/Gnote

>> > Commit info to show maintenance: http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnote/

>> > I am not necessarily recommending it for the default panel installation,

>> > but

>> > just to be included. *I've used it extensively from within Xubuntu

>> > Karmic

>> > and have been very impressed with how it works. *It does not require the

>> > xfapplets plugin to appear in the notification area.

>> > What do you think?

>> > Jim

>> I personally install tomboy on all my systems. I tend to use it for a

>> lot of notes. Is it possible to port the tomboy notes to gnote? Do I

>> lose any functionality?

> Charlie, Tomboy notes can be imported into and opened in Gnote. I'll provide

> further info about the other differences tonight.

Sorry for adding to the confusion, but I wanted to point out that zim

is also a very nice note-taking application.

Others can feel free to chime in with their thoughts, but here is a rundown on some of the different options for note applications:

== Xfce4-notes-plugin:
+*After ~20 min of use uses 4mb of writeable memory
+*Can be set to sit in the panel
+ Easy to add notes and change between notes
- Can't create notebooks (sets of notes around a topic)

- Can't search notes
- Can't link between notes

== Gnote
~ After ~20 minutes of use, uses about 6.5 mb of writeable memory
~ Can sit in the notification area . . . not sure how it can be set to go there all the time, or if the user would need to launch it each time

+ Easy to add notes and change between notes
+ Can create notebooks, search between notes
+ Easy to link between notes, output to HTML,
+ Can import tomboy notes
+ several other plugins

== Zim
- Confusing start up UI

- Uses 9.2mb of writeable memory on startup
+ Seems pretty powerful if you are familiar with how to use it.
+ The Sheep likes it
+-x2 - I didn't really spend much time using it after the somewhat confusing UI at startup.

This is a note taking application. *It will not make users switch from Windows. *But Gnote has pretty much all the features of Tomboy (just a few releases behind), and can provide good note-taking functionality with a minimal* memory penalty compared to xfce4-notes-plugin.

Your friend,

Jim

Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

wrote:

> [...]

go there all the time, or if the user would need to launch it each time

+ Easy to add notes and change between notes

+ Can create notebooks, search between notes

+ Easy to link between notes, output to HTML,

+ Can import tomboy notes

+ several other plugins

== Zim

- Confusing start up UI

- Uses 9.2mb of writeable memory on startup

+ Seems pretty powerful if you are familiar with how to use it.

+ The Sheep likes it

+-x2 - I didn't really spend much time using it after the somewhat
confusing UI at startup.

This is a note taking application. *It will not make users switch from
Windows. *But Gnote has pretty much all the features of Tomboy (just a
few releases behind), and can provide good note-taking functionality
with a minimal* memory penalty compared to xfce4-notes-plugin.

For comparison,

how much writeable memory would Tomboy use after ~20 minutes of use?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
"A. C. Censi"

And about Gnome dependencies?
ACC

wrote:

> [...]

+ Can import tomboy notes

+ several other plugins

== Zim

- Confusing start up UI

- Uses 9.2mb of writeable memory on startup

+ Seems pretty powerful if you are familiar with how to use it.

+ The Sheep likes it

+-x2 - I didn't really spend much time using it after the somewhat
confusing UI at startup.

This is a note taking application. *It will not make users switch from
Windows. *But Gnote has pretty much all the features of Tomboy (just a
few releases behind), and can provide good note-taking functionality
with a minimal* memory penalty compared to xfce4-notes-plugin.

Your friend,

Jim

For comparison,

how much writeable memory would Tomboy use after ~20 minutes of use?

accensi [em] gmail [ponto] com
accensi [em] montreal [ponto] com [ponto] br

Old 01-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Steve Dodier

Tomboy is mono based and would take quite a lot of room on the cd.

just like that, what is the discoverability of the note taking app? How many users know about it? What do xfce note users think about it?

I would rather spend time trying to identify and address short comings in the xfce app rather than having another upstream for such a tiny component.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Jim Campbell

Tomboy is mono based and would take quite a lot of room on the cd.

just like that, what is the discoverability of the note taking app? How many users know about it? What do xfce note users think about it?

I would rather spend time trying to identify and address short comings in the xfce app rather than having another upstream for such a tiny component.

Installing Tomboy required 32mb of downloads.* I forgot to check the installed disk space, but 32mb is too much.* It used ~11.5mb of RAM on startup.*

I'm not sure what Steve means about discoverability of the Xfce app, but with regards to the shortcomings of the xfce app . . .* I don't think it's a bad app.* I just think gnote is better.* Regarding another upstream . . .* I guess that is somewhat of a maintenance issue.* I'm not sure how problematic others may find the "another upstream" to be.

Jim