Old 01-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

Default Dropping gnome-screensaver in lucid?

Hi folks,

Since karmic, gnome-screensaver heavily relies on gnome-session (for
example to get the inactivity time). Therefore, it won't automatically
activate on Xfce. Xubuntu 9.10 has been released with this bug [1]; I
would like to avoid releasing lucid with the same broken feature.

Here are some possible alternatives:
(1) patch gnome-screensaver to restore the old behavior;
(2) switch to xscreensaver by default;
(3) develop another Xfce-oriented screensaver;
(4) do nothing.

IMHO, (1) isn't going to happen: upstream won't change it back, I don't
have time to patch gnome-screensaver nor to waste time to try to
convince some people of the desktop team to apply it (but if you have,
please step up)…

(3) looks sexy, but is a bit unwise wrt to security matters.
Screensavers are usually used to lock screens, so are sensitive pieces
of software. I'm not sure it'll be ready (and secure enough) for lucid…

(2) xscreensaver isn't really pretty, but works fine. At the moment, I
don't know if it can be manually customized by the artwork team, any
hints? (there is already [2] to track this)

(4) isn't really an option. If nothing has been achieved or no decision
has been made before the UserInterfaceFreeze (March 4th, one week before
the first beta), I think I'll set xscreensaver by default (2), because
we can't release lucid as broken as karmic.

These are some quick thoughts. If you think I've missed an obvious
alternative, have better ideas or have already started to work on
something, feel free to react.

Cheers,
Lionel

[1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/493573>
[2]
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-artwork/+bug/361678>

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33 F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A

#2 sounds good to me. The dialog apparently can be themed to some extent [3]. Not sure if this requires another package and, if so, whether that would be doable.

The loss in accessibility is a shame, but the only alternative to that is including both gnome-screensaver (with the risks mentioned in [3]) and gnome-session. I don't think that's really an option - hopefully it's not too big of a hassle for people with disabilities to install them manually.

[3] http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html

--
Vincent

Old 01-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:17:26 +0100
Vincent <mailinglists@vinnl.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Lionel Le Folgoc <mrpouit@ubuntu.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Since karmic, gnome-screensaver heavily relies on gnome-session (for
> > example to get the inactivity time). Therefore, it won't automatically
> > activate on Xfce. Xubuntu 9.10 has been released with this bug [1]; I
> > would like to avoid releasing lucid with the same broken feature.
> >
> > Here are some possible alternatives:
> > (1) patch gnome-screensaver to restore the old behavior;
> > (2) switch to xscreensaver by default;
> > (3) develop another Xfce-oriented screensaver;
> > (4) do nothing.
> >
> > IMHO, (1) isn't going to happen: upstream won't change it back, I don't
> > have time to patch gnome-screensaver nor to waste time to try to
> > convince some people of the desktop team to apply it (but if you have,
> > please step up)…
> >
> > (3) looks sexy, but is a bit unwise wrt to security matters.
> > Screensavers are usually used to lock screens, so are sensitive pieces
> > of software. I'm not sure it'll be ready (and secure enough) for lucid…
> >
> > (2) xscreensaver isn't really pretty, but works fine. At the moment, I
> > don't know if it can be manually customized by the artwork team, any
> > hints? (there is already [2] to track this)
> >
> > (4) isn't really an option. If nothing has been achieved or no decision
> > has been made before the UserInterfaceFreeze (March 4th, one week before
> > the first beta), I think I'll set xscreensaver by default (2), because
> > we can't release lucid as broken as karmic.
> >

> > These are some quick thoughts. If you think I've missed an obvious
> > alternative, have better ideas or have already started to work on
> > something, feel free to react.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Lionel
> >

> > [1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/493573>
> > [2]
> > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-artwork/+bug/361678>
> >
> > --
> >

> #2 sounds good to me. The dialog apparently can be themed to some extent
> [3]. Not sure if this requires another package and, if so, whether that
> would be doable.
>
> The loss in accessibility is a shame, but the only alternative to that is
> including both gnome-screensaver (with the risks mentioned in [3]) and
> gnome-session. I don't think that's really an option - hopefully it's not
> too big of a hassle for people with disabilities to install them manually.
>
> [3] http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html

Considering that xscreensaver has many themes already, and that
gnome-screensaver is broken, can we please have xscreensaver. I have
removed gnome-screensaver and installed xscreensaver many times,
because xscreensaver does work. It works on older hardware too.

Thanks,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 01-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Steve Dodier

Since karmic, gnome-screensaver heavily relies on gnome-session (for

example to get the inactivity time). Therefore, it won't automatically

activate on Xfce. *Xubuntu 9.10 has been released with this bug [1]; I

would like to avoid releasing lucid with the same broken feature.

[snip]

(2) xscreensaver isn't really pretty, but works fine. At the moment, I

don't know if it can be manually customized by the artwork team, any

hints? *(there is already [2] to track this)

[snip]
I'm all for (2) too. I'm ok to work on a xscreensaver theme for Albatross. Added to the february todo list.

--
Steve Dodier
Student at cole Nationale Suprieure d'Ingnieurs de Bourges

Free Software Developer

Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Jim Campbell

Hi All,

[...]

I was slightly confused with the listing of 1,2,3,4 in the start of this post, and then the points referenced as 1,3,2,4. *:-)
That being said, I have no beefs with xscreensaver in Xubuntu if there are no technical issues with it. *I actually prefer some of the additional features it has over gnome-screensaver.

Jim