Old 01-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Simon Steinbeiß

Default Slow Shutdown when Network Mgr closes before CIFS unmounted

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:44:04 +1100
David Collins <david.8.collins@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am working on a fairly well-known ongoing problem where you have a slow
> logoff if connected wirelessly to a Samba share.
> You get the message 'CIFS VFS: No response ...' and it takes about 2 minutes
> for the laptop to shutdown.
> Apparently it happens because Network Manager closes down before the CIFS
> mounts are unmounted.

Well, that's quite a coincidence, I just ran into this bug a few days ago (before this week I
didn't have a samba share in my local network that I wanted to automount).
Would be great if there could be at least a workaround in Xubuntu - if you need help with testing,
I'm here.

Cheers,
Simon

Old 01-16-2010, 03:46 AM
"J. Anthony Limon"

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:53:31 -0700
"Sandahl *" <sandahlb@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > main() below ?
> > I could then test and, if successful, post the solution back into
> > the Ubuntu forums article below.
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/env python
> >
> > #Author: Seamus Phelan
> > # http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8451352#post8451352
> >
> > #This program runs a custom command/script just before gnome shuts
> > #down. This is done the same way that gedit does it (listening for
> > #the 'save-yourself' event). This is different to placing scipts
> > #in /etc/rc#.d/ as the script will be run before gnome exits.
> > #If the custom script/command fails with a non-zero return code, a
> > #popup dialog box will appear offering the chance to cancel logout
> > #
> > #Usage: 1 - change the command in the 'subprocess.call' in
> > # function 'session_save_yourself' below to be what ever
> > # you want to run at logout.
> > # 2 - Run this program at every gnome login (add via menu
> > System # -> Preferences -> Session)
> > #
> > #
> >
> > import sys
> > import subprocess
> > import datetime
> >
> > import gnome
> > import gnome.ui
> > import gtk
> >
> > class Namespace: pass
> > ns = Namespace()
> > ns.dialog = None
> >
> > def main():
> > prog = gnome.init ("gnome_save_yourself", "1.0",
> > gnome.libgnome_module_info_get(), sys.argv, [])
> > client = gnome.ui.master_client()
> > #set up call back for when 'logout'/'Shutdown' button pressed
> > client.connect("save-yourself", session_save_yourself)
> > client.connect("shutdown-cancelled", shutdown_cancelled)
> >
> > def session_save_yourself( *args):
> > #Unmount those CIFS shares!
> > retcode = subprocess.call("sudo /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh",
> > shell=True) if retcode != 0:
> > #command failed
> > show_error_dialog()
> > return True
> >
> > def shutdown_cancelled( *args):
> > if ns.dialog != None:
> > ns.dialog.destroy()
> > return True
> >
> > def show_error_dialog():
> > ns.dialog = gtk.Dialog("There was a problem running your
> > pre-shutdown script",
> > None,
> > gtk.DIALOG_MODAL |
> > gtk.DIALOG_DESTROY_WITH_PARENT,
> > ("There was a problem running your
> > pre-shutdown script - continue logout", gtk.RESPONSE_ACCEPT))
> > if ns.test_mode == True:
> > response = ns.dialog.run()
> > ns.dialog.destroy()
> > else:
> > #when in shutdown mode gnome will only allow you to open a
> > window using master_client().save_any_dialog()
> > #It also adds the 'Cancel logout' button
> > gnome.ui.master_client().save_any_dialog(ns.dialog )
> >
> > #Find out if we are in test mode???
> > if len(sys.argv) >=2 and sys.argv[1] == "test":

I proposed that not long ago but was shot down for the following
reasons:

1) No built in VPN support
2) The gui isn't pretty enough

Hopefully WICD fixes these issues (although I like the current GUI) so
we can finally boot network manager for good.

- J

Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 PM
David Collins

I have installed WICD and this does not fix the problem.
The pre-disconnection script setting looked promising but this only runs when you manually disconnect from the wireless network - not when the XFCE session shuts down.

I prefer Network Manager, particularly for an 'average' user - it is simpler and the applet icon illustrates the signal strength.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for writing a script that runs when the XFCE session is closing ? - as a get-around.* I would prefer if I can just use python since this is just temporary.* Can anyone tell me the (XFCE?) library that should look at ? - and maybe suggest objects/methods, etc.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
David Collins

FYI, I worked out a fix for this problem in Xubuntu.
This works for me with both a shutdown and restart using the GUI.

# Rename the executable that is called when shutting down or rebooting.
cd /usr/sbin
sudo mv xfsm-shutdown-helper xfsm-shutdown-helper-orig

# Replace the executable with a script.
gksu mousepad xfsm-shutdown-helper
Create these lines in the new file ..
* !#/bin/sh
**
# XFCE shutting down - close network connections.
**
/etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh
**

# THEN call the original executable.
**
/usr/sbin/xfsm-shutdown-helper-orig

# Make the new script executable.
sudo chmod +x xfsm-shutdown-helper

# Check the permissions.
/usr/sbin# ls -al xf*

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root* 152 2010-01-21 21:03 xfsm-shutdown-helper
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5588 2009-09-19 20:30 xfsm-shutdown-helper-orig

Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 AM
David Collins

Correction - the get-around is much easier than the previous e-mail - just make links in the rc folders to umountnfs.sh that are earlier in the alphabet than the existing link to umountnfs.sh.

# For shutdowns ..

cd /etc/rc0.d
sudo ln -s ../init.d/umountnfs.sh K02umountnfs

# For reboots ..
cd /etc/rc6.d

sudo ln -s ../init.d/umountnfs.sh K02umountnfs

(This doesn't work if you use '-n' with the smbmount command - which is why this didn't work for me when I tried it earlier.)