Old 01-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Jim Campbell

Default Replacing Firefox with Google Chrome

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM, David Collins <david.8.collins@gmail.com> wrote:

Jim,I'll mainly comment on 3)

Statistics from the Firefox add-ons site (ordered by popularity) ..

#1 Adblock Plus:********** * 926,549 weekly downloads
#2 Coral IE Tab: * * ** * ** 105,047 weekly downloads#3 Download Flash and Video:* 60,397 weekly downloads

ie.* Adblock Plus is very popular (almost 1 million downloads a week) and many times more popular than any other FF add-on.

I don't know whether it is used by the core set of Xubuntu users - but, given it's general popularity, it might.

Adblock Plus improves responsiveness and speed very significantly on some sites.

I feel that Chrome is still an immature product.* In a year or 2, it will be more mature and easier to compare against its competition.* I think it is good to have it in the Ubuntu repositories, though, so people can try out the Linux version easily and monitor its progress. I will be.

Just one opinion.

Woo!* Constructive opinions and feedback!* Thanks, everyone.* This is going to be our best release ever.

Jim

Old 01-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Simon Steinbeiß

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:17:01 +0200
Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi> wrote:

> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:04:23 -0600
> > Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your input, and for bringing some of these issues to our
> >> attention. I'd like to try and summarize some of the issues and concerns
> >> that people have.
> >>

> >> What do people think? Given all of this, I'm not so sure that Chromium is
> >> the best fit for Xubuntu, at least for now. The translation issue is
> >> important to our users, and the codec issue is important to me. The privacy
> >> issue seems important to some, but I tend to think that most anything we do
> >> on the internet can be tracked somehow (unless we use the extreme step of
> >> using Tor or something). The smaller memory footprint provided by Chromium
> >> would be a "nice to have" feature, but we've survived using Firefox for a
> >> good while - using it for a LTS would probably be the best thing to do.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >>

> > Thanks for the detailed comparison. At least it is an option.
> >
> > I would have to vote for Firefox for the LTS,
> Exactly my thoughts. This was my knee jerk reaction, but I've become
> convinced it's the right way after following this discussion.
> > give Chromium a chance to
> > stabilize. Also, perhaps looking at Midori vs Chromium for Lucid+1
> > again. Midori is now maintained by the Xfce developers, isn't it?
> >
> Yes, Midori is maintained by the Xfce team.
>
> Again, I would *love* to see Midori on Xubuntu, once its problems are
> solved.
> > Chromium bothers me, for for reasons I really can't put a finger on
> > right now. Perhaps it is what I see/hear about google and privacy. Any
> > user can switch the default search easy enough in Firefox.
> >
> > Just one man's opinion...
> >

> +1

+1

Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 PM