Old 01-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Jarno Suni

Default Proposal: Include grandr to manage multiple screens

There is no GUI utility to manage multiple screens in Xubuntu. An
external screen for a laptop is not uncommon, I suppose, and grandr is
flexible and easy to use.

(I have made scripts using xrandr and use them by keyboard shortcuts,
but they are not universal.)

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 PM
"A. C. Censi"

It seems that grandr has dependencies on Gnome libs. From the homepage:�Grandr is a GNOME Panel Applet that allow you to select screen resolution and orientation from your GNOME Panel.

Another alternative is arandr. Depends only on Python and PyGTK. Perhaps a little less refined, but works well here, in 2 notebooks with Xubuntu Karmic.

A. C. Censi

There is no GUI utility to manage multiple screens in Xubuntu. An

external screen for a laptop is not uncommon, I suppose, and grandr is

flexible and easy to use.

(I have made scripts using xrandr and use them by keyboard shortcuts,

but they are not universal.)

--

http://www.iki.fi/8/

A. C. Censi
accensi [em] gmail [ponto] com
accensi [em] montreal [ponto] com [ponto] br

Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Jarno Suni

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM, A. C. Censi <accensi@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that grandr has dependencies on Gnome libs. From the
> homepage:*Grandr is a GNOME Panel Applet that allow you to select screen
> resolution and orientation from your GNOME Panel.

I think it was not the homepage of the granddr software available in
ubuntu universe repository. It is a GTK program, but has some
dependencies. It has special licence, by the way.

> Another alternative is arandr. Depends only on Python and PyGTK. Perhaps a
> little less refined, but works well here, in 2 notebooks with Xubuntu
> Karmic.

It has nice feature that it can save setting scripts. It and grandr
both corrupt my user interface, if I change layout of two outputs many
times by them. Arandr may hide xfce4-panel completely. Both have some
kind os keyboard shortcut system, but that does not work in Xubuntu.

By the way, hardware acceleration is lost here with intel driver, if
the playground for the outputs exceeds 2048 x 2048 pixels. I don't
know, if the 'add a "Virtual 2048 2048" line in SubSection "Display"
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to create a large virtual screen' trick is
relevant anymore, though.

(I am using Karmic, too.)

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/

Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
"A. C. Censi"

I use it on a eeePC 7" old model to change settings and hook it to a 32" LCD TV with resolution of 1280x1024 or 13--x768. Sometimes part of the panel is missing in the unseen right side of windows in the small 7" screen, but it can be restated with arang, before disconnecting the big one.

I have not tried the shortcut activation, but it could be a problem with an already used shortcut in xfwm4. I will try it later to see.

Intel graphics drivers normally suck, even with of all the hoopla about company being Linux friend and best supporting.