Old 01-01-2010, 07:11 PM
"J. Anthony Limon"

Default Whaaw Media Player

Hi team,

I had never heard of this app before the other night, most likely due to
it not being the repositories, but it seems to be an excellent fit for
the XFce/Xubuntu desktop as a replacement for Totem. It's simple, light
and uses gstreamer without any GNOME ties.

Any comments?

- J

Old 01-01-2010, 07:25 PM
"J. Anthony Limon"

J. Anthony Limon wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> I had never heard of this app before the other night, most likely due to
> it not being the repositories, but it seems to be an excellent fit for
> the XFce/Xubuntu desktop as a replacement for Totem. It's simple, light
> and uses gstreamer without any GNOME ties.
>
> Any comments?
>
> - J

I realized I forgot to supply a URL for the app, sorry guys.

http://home.gna.org/whaawmp/

- J

Old 01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
"J. Anthony Limon"

Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> J. Anthony Limon wrote:
>> J. Anthony Limon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi team,
>>>
>>> I had never heard of this app before the other night, most likely due to
>>> it not being the repositories, but it seems to be an excellent fit for
>>> the XFce/Xubuntu desktop as a replacement for Totem. It's simple, light
>>> and uses gstreamer without any GNOME ties.
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>>>

> The fact that it's not in the repositories probably means it's not going
> to be default at least in Lucid.
>>

>> I realized I forgot to supply a URL for the app, sorry guys.
>>
>> http://home.gna.org/whaawmp/
>>
>> - J
>>
> It looks nice and easy to use, though.
>
> Then again, there is Parole
> (http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/parole), which is also a
> new project, and might also be considered to use in Lucid+1.
>
> --
> Pasi Lallinaho
> Xubuntu Marketing Lead
> Web-designer, graphic artist
> IRC: knome @ freenode

Oh yeah, I wouldn't even recommend it being default in Lucid. Just
curious as to what others thought of it in general, maybe expose it to
others who may be interested in the project.

Parole does seem interesting, I'll have to look into it more. On a
pretty non-important note, I severely dislike their icon/logo..

- J

Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Steve Dodier

Whaaw's GUI does not look great to me. It looks extremely minimalistic. If the point is only to remove a few dependencies then I'm not sure it's such a great idea.

Besides, Parole is being developed quite fast, and already has a decent set of features. There are a few things that I dislikein Parole's GUI (don't have them in mind though), but I think a discussion about these with Parole's author could get them sorted out. He is a nice developer and very attentive to comments from downstream users.

2010/1/1 J. Anthony Limon <j@flippo.net>

Pasi Lallinaho wrote:

> J. Anthony Limon wrote:

>> J. Anthony Limon wrote:

>>> Hi team,

>>> I had never heard of this app before the other night, most likely due to

>>> it not being the repositories, but it seems to be an excellent fit for

>>> the XFce/Xubuntu desktop as a replacement for Totem. It's simple, light

>>> and uses gstreamer without any GNOME ties.

>>> Any comments?

> The fact that it's not in the repositories probably means it's not going

> to be default at least in Lucid.

>> I realized I forgot to supply a URL for the app, sorry guys.

>> http://home.gna.org/whaawmp/

>> - J

> It looks nice and easy to use, though.

> Then again, there is Parole

> (http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/parole), which is also a

> new project, and might also be considered to use in Lucid+1.

> --

> Pasi Lallinaho

> Xubuntu Marketing Lead

> Web-designer, graphic artist

> IRC: knome @ freenode

Oh yeah, I wouldn't even recommend it being default in Lucid. Just

curious as to what others thought of it in general, maybe expose it to

others who may be interested in the project.

Parole does seem interesting, I'll have to look into it more. On a

pretty non-important note, I severely dislike their icon/logo..

- J

Steve Dodier
Student at École Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs de Bourges
Free Software Developer

Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Pasi Lallinaho wrote:

> J. Anthony Limon wrote:

>> J. Anthony Limon wrote:

>>> Hi team,

>>> I had never heard of this app before the other night, most
likely due to

>>> it not being the repositories, but it seems to be an
excellent fit for

>>> the XFce/Xubuntu desktop as a replacement for Totem. It's
simple, light

>>> and uses gstreamer without any GNOME ties.

>>> Any comments?

> The fact that it's not in the repositories probably means it's not
going

> to be default at least in Lucid.

>> I realized I forgot to supply a URL for the app, sorry guys.

>> http://home.gna.org/whaawmp/

>> - J

> It looks nice and easy to use, though.

> Then again, there is Parole

> (http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/parole),
which is also a

> new project, and might also be considered to use in Lucid+1.

> --

> Pasi Lallinaho

> Xubuntu Marketing Lead

> Web-designer, graphic artist

> IRC: knome @ freenode

Oh yeah, I wouldn't even recommend it being default in Lucid. Just

curious as to what others thought of it in general, maybe expose it to

others who may be interested in the project.

Parole does seem interesting, I'll have to look into it more. On a

pretty non-important note, I severely dislike their icon/logo..

- J

Steve Dodier

Student at École Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs de Bourges

Free Software Developer

Dear Steve,

do not top-post :P

Old 01-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Jarno Suni

Why include a media player? Xubuntu or its website could provide a
list of media players and an easy method to install whatever user
prefers. A guide to make customized images would be nice, too.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 AM
"J. Anthony Limon"

Jarno Suni wrote:
> Why include a media player? Xubuntu or its website could provide a
> list of media players and an easy method to install whatever user
> prefers. A guide to make customized images would be nice, too.

But to what end? Xubuntu is a complete operating system "experience"
complete with tools for most day to day tasks out of the box. If it were
to ship with just a core system + xfce it wouldn't be much in line with
the rest of the Ubuntu based systems.

With that said.. I've removed half the default apps and have switched to
alternatives in almost every care, but apt-get --purge autoremove foo
does a good job so I hardly notice..

- J

Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Steve Dodier

Why include a media player? Xubuntu or its website could provide a

list of media players and an easy method to install whatever user

prefers. A guide to make customized images would be nice, too.

Most of new Xubuntu users come from operating systems where the available media players are not the same. It's hard for them to make a choice without knowing any of the available pieces of software, which is why we ship a default that we believe to do most of the job for most of the people.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Jarno Suni

In my experience, in practice most people need restricted codecs
including Adobe Flash plugin to provide a "complete" operating system
experience, so users have to install something anyway. Besides
different media players have different strengths in my limited
experience: VLC can handle different playback speeds even with audio*
and can be controlled nicely by lirc i.e. by remote control (although
it does not survive from suspend to RAM maybe due to the fact that I
have to restart lirc then). Xine is the best DVD player (I mean it can
play some DVDs that e.g. VLC can not, totem can not play DVDs from iso
files: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/122635.)
Kaffeine is the best player for digital television. Totem has the best
mozilla plugin although it is not perfect, so sometimes you have to
use the mediaplayerconnectivity add-on and another media player; in
some cases even that trick does not work, but that could be also web
service's fault. As for random access of video streams, Flash player
is usually the only working solution, if it can be used with the
network service in question, though it needs a powerful CPU at least
in full screen mode. Flash player can't survive suspend to RAM...

*) alsaplayer can handle different playback speeds even better, but it
is only an audio player and besides can't play mp4a.

In summary, media player experience in Ubuntu is still far from complete.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/