Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Vincent

Default Meeting

Hi,

Either I made a mistake, or somehow there just was no meeting yesterday: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings
(Yes, I know, I should've sent out a reminder)

Anyway, there were two issues I wanted to raise:

** totem-xine vs. totem-gstreamer

When we decided to use totem-xine instead of totem-gstreamer, I think we forgot one thing: totem-xine conflicts with totem-gstreamer. As a result, xubuntu-desktop now conflicts with ubuntu-desktop. I suppose this is a problem, so perhaps we could reconsider totem-gstreamer for Hardy?

** Add/Remove...

I added this to the agenda in some meeting before, but since I couldn't make it then, I could not elaborate on it.
In my opinion, the location of the "Add/Remove..." application is a bit odd. When I first used Linux (that was Ubuntu Warty) I did not know how to install applications. Back then, I believe there wasn't even an Add/Remove... At present, however, it is easy to find out in Ubuntu how to install applications: Applications->Add/Remove...

In Xubuntu, it isn't that logical, because there just is an "Add/Remove..." application that is located in the System menu. It isn't called "Add/Remove Applications" or something, and I guess it'd be more clear in the main menu anyway.

So what do you think?

Best,
--
Vincent

Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Jani Monoses

Vincent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Either I made a mistake, or somehow there just was no meeting yesterday:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings
> (Yes, I know, I should've sent out a reminder)
>
> Anyway, there were two issues I wanted to raise:
>
> * totem-xine vs. totem-gstreamer
>
> When we decided to use totem-xine instead of totem-gstreamer, I think we
> forgot one thing: totem-xine conflicts with totem-gstreamer. As a
> result, xubuntu-desktop now conflicts with ubuntu-desktop. I suppose
> this is a problem, so perhaps we could reconsider totem-gstreamer for
> Hardy?

We should do what ubuntu-desktop has and recommend totem not a
particular backend of it (xine or gstreamer), then they would not
conflict. Even now ubuntu-desktop is fine with totem-xine

That said, gstreamer may be a better choice for xubuntu as well, so we
take advantage of the automatic codec installation wizard of gstreamer
for newbies who cannot figure out what they need for totem-xine. And the
documentation form Ubuntu would apply verbatim. Gstreamer is (at least
partly) in the desktop I think, via pidgin.

> * Add/Remove...
>
> I added this to the agenda in some meeting before, but since I couldn't
> make it then, I could not elaborate on it.
> In my opinion, the location of the "Add/Remove..." application is a bit
> odd. When I first used Linux (that was Ubuntu Warty) I did not know how
> to install applications. Back then, I believe there wasn't even an
> Add/Remove... At present, however, it is easy to find out in Ubuntu how
> to install applications: Applications->Add/Remove...
> In Xubuntu, it isn't that logical, because there just is an
> "Add/Remove..." application that is located in the System menu. It isn't
> called "Add/Remove Applications" or something, and I guess it'd be more
> clear in the main menu anyway.
> So what do you think?

We should have it where Ubuntu does, in the bottom of the main menu, not
in a separate category. I thought that we already did that. If not it
should be easy to add in the menu file.

thanks for bringing these up.

Jani

Old 01-06-2008, 09:59 AM
"Jérôme Guelfucci"

I've discussed this a bit with Lionel, everything highy depends on
whether we are demoted to universe or not. If we are demoted to
universe this opens a lot of possibilities: vlc, audacious... If we
keep totem, I personnaly prefer totem-xine as it plays dvds correctly
once libdvdcss2 is installed.

vlc is not very intuitive, but it plays everything, is very light (I
can feel the difference on my P2 450Mhz ) and its mozilla plugin is
really good compared with the totem one, which almost never works for
me. Moreover this would reduce our gnome-deps.

Concerning Add/Remove... I think that an "Add/Remove Applications" in
the Applications menu is the better choice.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Jani Monoses

Jérôme Guelfucci wrote:
> I've discussed this a bit with Lionel, everything highy depends on
> whether we are demoted to universe or not. If we are demoted to
> universe this opens a lot of possibilities: vlc, audacious... If we
> keep totem, I personnaly prefer totem-xine as it plays dvds correctly
> once libdvdcss2 is installed.
>
> vlc is not very intuitive, but it plays everything, is very light (I
> can feel the difference on my P2 450Mhz ) and its mozilla plugin is
> really good compared with the totem one, which almost never works for
> me. Moreover this would reduce our gnome-deps.

I am not sure the demotions to universe affect us too much. The ISO
images still cannot contain software with unclear legal status.
Where universe demotion helps is we do not have to MIR specific apps,
which used to be a slight bottleneck in the past.

I agree vlc is the most versatile player even though it's UI sucks.
Same for the DVD/xine thing you mention. To ease xine codecs
installation we'd need support form libxine which we do not have now.
This is why I think it is easier to use gstreamer for everything but DVD.

> Concerning Add/Remove... I think that an "Add/Remove Applications" in
> the Applications menu is the better choice.

Why do you think the way Ubuntu does it prominently is not good?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Vincent

On 06/01/2008, Jani Monoses <jani@ubuntu.com> wrote:
Vincent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Either I made a mistake, or somehow there just was no meeting yesterday:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings

> (Yes, I know, I should've sent out a reminder)
>
> Anyway, there were two issues I wanted to raise:
>
>*** totem-xine vs. totem-gstreamer
>
> When we decided to use totem-xine instead of totem-gstreamer, I think we

> forgot one thing: totem-xine conflicts with totem-gstreamer. As a
> result, xubuntu-desktop now conflicts with ubuntu-desktop. I suppose
> this is a problem, so perhaps we could reconsider totem-gstreamer for

> Hardy?

We should do what ubuntu-desktop has and recommend totem not a
particular backend of it (xine or gstreamer), then they would not
conflict.
Ah, that would be even better of course

On 06/01/2008, Jani Monoses <jani@ubuntu.com> wrote:Jérôme Guelfucci wrote:

> Concerning Add/Remove... I think that an "Add/Remove Applications" in
> the Applications menu is the better choice.

Why do you think the way Ubuntu does it prominently is not good?

Ubuntu does place it in the Applications menu.
--
Vincent

Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Jani Monoses

> Ubuntu does place it in the Applications menu.

Right. But that corresponds to our "main" (only) menu.
I probably misworded it, sorry. So whatever we call it I think it should
be in the same place - visually - as in Ubuntu.

Jani

Old 01-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Vincent

On 06/01/2008, Jani Monoses <jani@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu does place it in the Applications menu.

Right. But that corresponds to our "main" (only) menu.
I probably misworded it, sorry. So whatever we call it I think it should
be in the same place - visually - as in Ubuntu.

Yeah, I think so too.

Jani

--
Vincent

Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM

IIUC, It doesn't matter if we are demoted to universe or not. We can
already pull in Universe dependencies if we wanted to (infrastructure
they put in place for the ubuntu-studio stuff).

--

Firefox (www.getfirefox.com) -- A browser you can trust

Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Steve Stalcup

I threw up a few dates for a meeting.
*please fill out your availability http://www.doodle.com/s6smg85bsvicnsn4

thanks!
Steve

Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Steve Stalcup

hi again!

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Steve Stalcup <stalcups@gmail.com> wrote:

> I threw up a few dates for a meeting.
> *please fill out your availability http://www.doodle.com/s6smg85bsvicnsn4
>
> thanks!
> Steve

Do you want to give this meeting a shot on Skype - It would be much
more productive being able to talk one to another.