Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Default New contributor (was: Xubuntu)

jim wrote:
> Hi Pasi,
>
> I have become interested in xubuntu to the point where I want to get
> involved in the project. I am not a software engineer or even a geek. I
> spent 23 years in sales and marketing and now I work work in security. I
> use computers daily at work and have windows, mac and buntu at home. I
> don't use a lot of the extra packages, mainly just surf the net, email
> and word processing.
>
> I have been burning buntu distros to CD's and have installed ubuntu and
> xubuntu on 3 of my co-workers home PC's. Is there something I can do to
> get involved with the xubuntu team? I am open to enrollment in some type
> of formal online training or even doing something right away if
> possible.
>
> Regards,
> Jim Smith
> Eastern USA
> State of Massachusetts

Hey Jim (CC: xubuntu-devel mailing list),

we're currently starting the development for the Lucid Lynx release,
which is to be released in April 2010, so you are approaching us just in
the right time. No formal application is needed, you can jump right in –
welcome!

The best way to get contributing is to join #xubuntu-devel on the
Freenode IRC network and get to know people and get yourself known. You
will recognize me by the nick "knome" on the channel, if you want to
talk about any marketing specific issue. You can also contact me if you
have any other questions. Do not feel obliged to contact by IRC (email
is okay as well), but I can be reached better in IRC.

You should also subscribe to at least the xubuntu-devel mailing list
[1]. You can also join the #xubuntu channel on Freenode and subscribe to
the xubuntu-users mailing list [2].

The biggest tasks the marketing is going to face in the Lucid cycle is
to grow the Xubuntu developer community and raise awareness about it.
Other tasks include renewing the website, refreshing the artwork (which
will consist mostly of polishing the Albatross theme and done by the
Shimmer Project [3], which I also lead) and refreshing the documentation
artwork and style.

We also need to create some release artwork and raise some fuzz in
amongst people about Xubuntu when we are closer to releasing. I'd like
to do some rather big things (like advertising campaigns) and all the
help with it is totally appreciated.

Great to hear you are interested in contributing to Xubuntu.

[3] http://shimmerproject.org/, IRC channel #shimmer on Freenode

--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Old 12-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Vincent

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi> wrote:

jim wrote:

> Hi Pasi,

> I have become interested in xubuntu to the point where I want to get

> involved in the project. I am not a software engineer or even a geek. I

> spent 23 years in sales and marketing and now I work work in security. I

> use computers daily at work and have windows, mac and buntu at home. I

> don't use a lot of the extra packages, mainly just surf the net, email

> and word processing.

> I have been burning buntu distros to CD's and have installed ubuntu and

> xubuntu on 3 of my co-workers home PC's. Is there something I can do to

> get involved with the xubuntu team? I am open to enrollment in some type

> of formal online training or even doing something right away if

> possible.

> Regards,

> Jim Smith

> Eastern USA

> State of Massachusetts

Hey Jim (CC: xubuntu-devel mailing list),

we're currently starting the development for the Lucid Lynx release,

which is to be released in April 2010, so you are approaching us just in

the right time. No formal application is needed, you can jump right in –

welcome!

The best way to get contributing is to join #xubuntu-devel on the

Freenode IRC network and get to know people and get yourself known. You

will recognize me by the nick "knome" on the channel, if you want to

talk about any marketing specific issue. You can also contact me if you

have any other questions. Do not feel obliged to contact by IRC (email

is okay as well), but I can be reached better in IRC.

You should also subscribe to at least the xubuntu-devel mailing list

[1]. You can also join the #xubuntu channel on Freenode and subscribe to

the xubuntu-users mailing list [2].

The biggest tasks the marketing is going to face in the Lucid cycle is

to grow the Xubuntu developer community and raise awareness about it.

Other tasks include renewing the website, refreshing the artwork (which

will consist mostly of polishing the Albatross theme and done by the

Shimmer Project [3], which I also lead) and refreshing the documentation

artwork and style.

We also need to create some release artwork and raise some fuzz in

amongst people about Xubuntu when we are closer to releasing. I'd like

to do some rather big things (like advertising campaigns) and all the

help with it is totally appreciated.

Great to hear you are interested in contributing to Xubuntu.

[3] http://shimmerproject.org/, IRC channel #shimmer on Freenode

And of course, if you have an ideas yourself on how to contribute (e.g. you have a great idea on how Xubuntu could be marketed better), bring them up and, if you feel like it, take the lead Questions can always be sent to the xubuntu-devel mailinglist if you're subscribed.

Best,
--
Vincent