-   -   Xubuntu Project Lead: Call for Nominations (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/276723-xubuntu-project-lead-call-nominations.html)

"Cody A.W. Somerville" 11-08-2009 01:07 AM

Xubuntu Project Lead: Call for Nominations

Hello,

*In the winter of 2008 I was nominated for and accepted the role and responsibility of the Xubuntu Project Lead. Later that year, I wrote the Xubuntu Strategy Document which describes the long term strategy, vision, and direction of the Xubuntu project. In that document, I imposed a maximum term of three releases before the individual in the role which I currently occupy would require reconfirmation from the community to continue serving. Having served over three and a half releases now, it is time that we move forward with this process. However, instead of asking for reconfirmation to serve over another three releases, I'd instead like to call for nominations for a new project leader. Unfortunately the strategy document does not outline the process in which this is to occur. So if no one objects to the following, I'd like to propose that folks send their nominations to the community council whom I feel can in consultation with the community find the contributor best suited to become the next Xubuntu project leader.

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer

Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Daniel Holbach 11-10-2009 08:08 AM

Am Samstag, den 07.11.2009, 21:07 -0500 schrieb Cody A.W. Somerville:
> Having served over three and a half releases now, it is time that we
> move forward with this process.

Thanks a lot for your work on Xubuntu.

> However, instead of asking for reconfirmation to serve over another
> three releases, I'd instead like to call for nominations for a new
> project leader. Unfortunately the strategy document does not outline
> the process in which this is to occur. So if no one objects to the
> following, I'd like to propose that folks send their nominations to
> the community council whom I feel can in consultation with the
> community find the contributor best suited to become the next Xubuntu
> project leader.

I'd suggest you also blog about this and let others know about the open
pots and which expectations the Xubuntu community has. Let's keep the
nomination period window open for 2 weeks - it's what we've been doing
before for other elections and seems to work fine.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncil/Delegation explains how we
generally want to run elections for Boards and Councils. To have a an
election we need to have a clearly governed team that some kind of board
oversees. Obvious examples where this works well are MOTU Council and
MOTU, Kubuntu Council and Kubuntu members, etc.

Which of the Xubuntu teams would be most appropriate for something like
this? There seems to be https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-team but it's not
clear to me how it is governed or how the process works for being added.

Have a great day,
Daniel