-   -   Roadmap for Lucid (Was: 9.10 and beyond) (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/276097-roadmap-lucid-9-10-beyond.html)

Jim Campbell 11-06-2009 04:20 PM

Roadmap for Lucid (Was: 9.10 and beyond)

Hi All,

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Steve Dodier <sidnioulz@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Christophe,

While I'd like to investigate Xfburn over Brasero (but this takes time to test the apps, make sure they work, etc, and my CD drive kind of died), I don't think wicd can replace networkmanager, for a very simple reason: it's GUI is really, really not intuitive and easy to use. I haven't tested MPlayer for quite some time, but I remember I clearly preferred Totem's GUI over the alternatives' ones, because it was just simple and doing it's job for most basic uses. I may one day recommend Parole over Totem, when I think it came to feature parity, but I don't think MPlayer or VLC would be any better for end users.

*Also, IIRC Mplayer includes restricted codecs, which means Xubuntu can't ship it due to legal issues. VLC uses the Qt toolkit since version one, which means it would be more suitable for e.g. Kubuntu, but not Xubuntu. And I also believe it had the same issue as Mplayer's.

--
Vincent

On Wednesday I updated the Development Roadmap [1] on the Xubuntu wiki.* I note this here because one of the ongoing tasks is to review the packages that are included in Xubuntu.* I've modified the road map categories a little bit, and as of now the categories include:

- New objectives for the current release cycle (Lucid)
- Objectives carried over from prior release cycles
- Ongoing objectives
- Completed objectives.

I listed "Refresh Xubuntu Artwork," as a completed objective even though it's really an ongoing task.* Perhaps we can establish that as an ongoing objective and the relabel the previous objective to "Refresh Xubuntu Artwork - Karmic."*

If you wish to edit the content of the page, you'll need to go to a separate page [2].* Thanks, all.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Goals/Lucid

Steve Dodier 11-06-2009 05:29 PM

Roadmap for Lucid (Was: 9.10 and beyond)

My personal objectives will be rather simple: work on XFCE (I won't say more about this till I have something actually done, though) and work on Exaile ‚Äď there are a few things lacking, still a few improvements that can be done in Exaile, and there is something I wanted to implement for quite some time now (*blinks at Pasi*). I don't intend to do anything specifically ubuntu related, for a number of reasons. I also still intend to be doing noise on the channel, don't worry about that. :)

[...]

Steve Dodier
Student at √Čcole Nationale Sup√©rieure d'Ing√©nieurs de Bourges
Free Software Developer